bluejoewho
MoonDragon613

School uniforms should be adopted by all schools (k-12)

bluejoewho

Pro

School uniforms would not only save parents money but it would help prevent students from defining themselves by the clothes on their back. I really do think the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to this issue.
MoonDragon613

Con

School Uniforms suck

the end.

I want to see hos wearing nice short miniskirts.

and cleavage.

lots of cleavage.

Frankly speaking, most people in public schools would like to see cleavage too.

Thus it would decrease overall utility to not show us that cleavage.

it is part of their rights to free expression that they be allowed to dress like sluts.

it helps them prepare for today's challenging world.

Everyone knows American girls are the hottest, can't compete with topless European bimbos if we are forced into wearing school uniforms.

Also it would hurt the American economy to have all the designers out of work because of some stupid dress code in school.
bluejoewho

Pro

Freedom of expression does not apply in all situations. School is definitely one of them.

As far as your other comments, well, lets hope you have a daughter one day.

School uniforms will not only relieve the distractions my opponent speaks of but it will save parents money. This issue is really a no brainer. For the most part, the only people that disagree with it is kids and punkass perverts like my debating partner.

I think this issue would be a step in the right direction towards taking education serious in this country.
MoonDragon613

Con

Amazing the things that can happen when you leave your computer in the trusty hands of a good friend. But be that as it may, although the phrasing is not quite what I would have used, that not withstanding, they were valid points and for that matter, valid and uncontested points.

First of course is the cleavage argument.
The simple truth of the matter is, clothing, especially stylish clothing, make people look better. People who look better, make the school look better. If looking at someone attractive because of attractive clothing makes me happy, it increases the net util value to society. Thus, allowing students to wear what makes them attractive both increases their util, since they feel better looking sexy, and increases the util of those who look.

My opponent offers no evidence that the value of a more picturesque scenery is somehow overshadowed by the "distracting" effects. In fact, if we accept my opponent's arguments, then it would be impossible for people to study with music, impossible for people to type if their computer have background pictures, and of course not feasible for students to study if their classrooms are decorated. Perhaps we should all attend school in prisons. The decor there is certainly to my opponent's liking, and it would fit his capacity for thought as well.

Second is the argument of free expression.
My opponent's only argument is that free expression does not apply to school. Apparently that is some axiomatic truth of life because he certainly does not back this statement up. He has the burden of proof in this situation because as a society that values free expression, he had the responsibility to prove his statement, and he failed. But I'm not just going to rest there. See, freedom of expression is important to the health and vitality of society, and especially important to the health and DEVELOPMENT of our children. Again, my opponent wants his daughter to grow up in a prison. That's fine with me. He can raise his daughter however he wishes, it's his right to stifle her freedom to express her personality on a day to day basis in her interaction with classmates through her choice of clothing. He does NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEPRIVE MY CHILD OF HER FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. My child has the right to discover who she is, what she likes, and how she wishes to present herself. It should not be up to my opponent, and frankly, ultimately, it should not even be up to me. It should be up to my child.

Last is the economics of the situation, a completely undisputed argument. (as opposed to just weakly disputed)
Clothing and clothing design play a huge role in the American economy. A transformation from freedom of clothing to school uniforms will cause a rather significant upheaval, causing a sharp demand in designer clothing, causing many clothing design industries to suffer. It would take time for resources to be redirected which does not change the fact that these designers would remain unemployed even after the redirection completes. The upheaval will result in economic downturns, lowering confidence in consumers and investors, and cause a minor recession which would hurt our already ailing economy. But my opponent wants to teach children in prisons. So what does it matter?
Posted by Joel_Asher 8 years ago
Joel_Asher
yeah I dont know, when I see school uniforms kids wear something or the uniform in some way to make them look different. I think that it could work either way. Yeah it could calm the sluttiness level or the gang representaion level but at the same time they are very much an inconvenience. They are not the first choice of most kids.
Posted by blond_guy 8 years ago
blond_guy
And by the way. Check what you said about me then check your win ratio. Yours is actually 40% now, lower than mine, so should people not care what you think now?
Posted by blond_guy 8 years ago
blond_guy
bluejoewho, you just proved what an idiot you are with that comment.
I go to a public school that makes me wear a uniform. It costs lots of money to the parents and they still need to buy street clothes for their kids anyways, so you're paying twice the amount when you could just pay once.
Posted by MoonDragon613 8 years ago
MoonDragon613
And if I were straight, then I'd be pissed if someone tried to take away my daily school cleavage viewing.

And yes, if you want, I'd be more than glad to debate you on the same topic again.

And also, for the record, my friend might be a fruitcake, but his intelligence is so far incredibly above yours it is almost inconceivable. Odd he might be, but he is at least 4 standard deviations above you, at minimum.
Posted by bluejoewho 8 years ago
bluejoewho
Hey moon, if it means anything to you, if I was a homosexual I'd be pissed too if someone tried taking my designer clothes away. I bet you're a fabulous dresser aren't you;)
Posted by bluejoewho 8 years ago
bluejoewho
bjm you lost me. That made absolutly no sence to me. Anyways not much more to say. And by the way moon, those were some real good cons you came up with.
Posted by Kusfraba 8 years ago
Kusfraba
As a student, I would have to vote con. I hate the idea of school uniforms, and agree to MoonDragon's last post. I love wearing whatever I'm in the mood for in the morning, whether it be my American Eagle Kevlar vest or my GAP Anti-Tentacle Suit. To top it all off, my brother has to wear a school uniform, and he's a fruitcake. I rest my case.
Posted by bjm1382 8 years ago
bjm1382
bluejoe, first off it was my point to use the two cheapest places to buy clothes. Not everyone has money to go out and buy things from American Eagle, or a Polo, but I can go to Goodwill and buy the same shirt you just bought for 50 dollars for around 10. So my point is proved, you don't save money. Second, have you every went to a school were everyone had to look the same? There will always want to be someone who wants to stand out. So yes if it is a girl all the guys would love to talk to her if her skirt is 3 inches shorter than everyone Else's. And third, I am not saying the name on the front makes you feel comfortable. I am assuming you are not a girl, so I will explain something for you. Being in a skirt that comes to your knees in the dead of winter when there is 3 inches of snow and it is 7 degrees outside and you have to walk 10 blocks to your high school and sit there and freeze; this is due to the fact your school can not afford to bus their students or supply heat to the building. And dont thing I just made that up, it is actually my school I am talking about. And lastly, are you trying to say Britney Spears is a role model for how girls should be? Well then lets all go shave our heads check in and out of rehab 4 times in 48 hours, and have a mental break down. Next you are going to be saying how Lindsay Lohan will be doing an Anti-drug poster.
Posted by MoonDragon613 8 years ago
MoonDragon613
Lol, I'm sorry. Anyone who says "you still haven't showed me more cons than pros I have listed" deserves to be laughed at, not debated with. Last time I checked, the strength of an argument depends on the strength of the listed arguments, not numerical supremacy. But to placate you, and mock you, I'm going to list 10 bad reasons to oppose School Uniforms, because then, what do you know? I'd have more cons than pros.

1. School uniforms are uncomfortable, too restrictive, chokes; you can die by asphyxiation. Nasty way to die.
2. School uniforms get dirt on them too easily. Too white.
3. School uniforms prevent you from jogging to school.
4. School uniforms prevent twins in different schools from looking identical.
5. School uniforms aren't heavy enough to stop bullets.
6. School uniforms makes you more more vulnerable to tentacles.
7. School uniforms make all the kids look alike so it's harder to tell them apart in group pictures.
8. School uniforms don't have enough pockets.
9. School uniforms make you look tempting when you're walking through the ghettos.
10. School uniforms inhibit growth. It's true because I said so. I don't have to prove it, you, go prove me wrong.
Posted by bluejoewho 8 years ago
bluejoewho
And by the way this debate was never taken serious with your first response. Im sure that was your "friend". Besides even if that was your friend, it kind of shows your intelligence level. Now chanllenge me on a real debate so I can smack you in the mouth.
Vote Placed by C4747500 8 years ago
C4747500
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by Kane 8 years ago
Kane
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by TonyX311 8 years ago
TonyX311
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by iluvdebates 8 years ago
iluvdebates
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by Kusfraba 8 years ago
Kusfraba
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 8 years ago
blond_guy
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by Black.Nite17 8 years ago
Black.Nite17
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by bigdog 8 years ago
bigdog
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by bjm1382 8 years ago
bjm1382
bluejoewhoMoonDragon613Tied