SeelTheMan
Zak99

School uniforms should be required by U.S. public schools.

SeelTheMan

SeelTheMan

Pro

I believe that public schools should be required for their kids to wear school uniforms.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttal

Good luck!
Zak99

Con

Thanks, and good luck!
SeelTheMan

Pro

Thank you for accepting, I look forward to this debate.

Some of the reasons I believe that public schools should require school uniforms are as followed:

Reduces Bullying
One of the main causes of bullying is differences. When a student comes to school dressed in hand-me-downs, and another student comes into school with designer clothes, there is a major difference between them. This makes bullying and aggressive behavior between them much easier and more severe. School uniforms reduce greatly the economic gaps and barriers between students. It also helps to eliminate trends and the peer pressure to go out and buy new clothes purely for social reasons. This also diminishes bullying because if many people go out and buy new trend clothes, the people that don't get them, might be looked on as different or weird.

Dressing for Success
Students wearing formal attire or school uniforms show more success in school than a casual dressed student. One of the reasons for this is because students feel more confident when they are wearing "business clothes" rather than just a sweatshirt and sweatpants. They feel more mature, which leads to better listening, and better academic performance overall.

Money Saving
Parents save lots of money when they purchase school uniforms. Instead of buying designer clothes that fit to the new trends which would cost the parent a large amount of money, they can buy school uniforms made with standard fabrics.

Time Saving
Wearing a school uniform saves time in the morning when getting ready for school, so they don't have to think and decide what to wear in the morning. It also saves time for the parent and child when the parent doesn't have to go out and buy new clothes as frequently for the child.

Respect and Attention
Wearing a school uniform shows respect and it makes the child more focused for what their actual job at school is, which is to learn, instead of distracting themselves with clothing garments and style and attractiveness. School uniforms also contribute to school spirit and motivation. Many students wearing the same thing act much more devoted to their school and feel more of a team spirit.

For these reasons, I believe that schools should require students to wear uniforms. It saves money, makes them more successful, saves time, diminishes bullying, and adds more school spirit.

Thank you,
SeelTheMan

1. http://www.proconlists.com...
  2. http://www.shsu.edu...
  3. http://www.greatschools.org...
  4. http://www.schooluniformspros.com...;
Zak99

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for replying.

Reduces Bullying
No matter what you dress students in, they will always find a way to pass judgement upon their peers. If it's not based upon the style of clothes worn there are many other superficial ways to judge people- mainly physical appearance, personality, and athleticism.Yes, judging people upon thier appearance can be bad in schools. However making everyone wear the same type of clothes is not going to make the problem magically disapear. Instead of hiding from the problem why not tackle it head on? Teach your kids to accept the odd kid out. Teach your kids not to judge based upon superficial criteria. Kids can be taught to be open to all sorts of people. However, by making everyone wear the same types of clothes, I believe you are just sending the message that since you can't accept each other when you are different, we're going to make you all the same. How will your child ever cope in the adult world when they actually do encounter someone who is different then themselves?

Dressing for Success
i can't find any actual statistics that children in uniforms are more successful. I'm not saying you're wrong, but could you provide me with this information?

Money Saving
Firstly, uniforms have not saved my family money. If one avoids buying name brand clothing, clothes can be relatively affordable. When my mom bought my brother his uniforms, she bought him 2 separate outfits. 2 golf shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 1 sweatshirt and 1 vest came to around $250.00. She could have easily bought a full weeks worth of street clothing (7 shirts, 3 pairs of pants) for slightly less money. Mind you, we aren't in the habit of buying new wardrobes every time a new school year starts, this is just a comparison. It should also be noted that when you buy uniforms, regular street clothing also needs to be bought for weekends and during the summer.

Time Saving
I suppose it would save time, but this seems very trivial.

Respect and Attention
Although many claim wearing different clothing is distracting, i find this hard to believe. Unless a peer is adorned in shiny mirrors or has a foot-tall mohawk, most have no problem paying attention.

Now that i have covered my opponents arguements I will address my own-

Individualism

How can we expect our childrento accept different people from themselves if there are sorrounded by people dressed identically to them? Also, children should be able to express themselves, emotionally and physically, through their clothing.

SeelTheMan

Pro

First of all I would like to point out that my opponent has plagiarized and copied virtually all if his arguments word for word from websites. Instead of copying and pasting he should contribute to the debate with his own ideas and words, or at least source a website if he uses one. - http://www.angelfire.com...

Reduces Bullying

I never said that the problem of bullying will dissapear. I merely said wearing school uniforms will reduce school uniforms because it gives bullies less things to ridicule, mainly economic status and wearing clothes that don't "fit in." Of course kids should learn to accept everyone. But you can have school uniforms, which helps, and then teach your kids about accepting people, which helps even more.
"How will your child ever cope in the adult world when they actually do encounter someone who is different then themselves?"
Bullying is a habit, if people do not bully (or bully less) as kids, then they will be unlikely to bully as an adult.

Dressing for Success
There are links to success which is proved in this document(source 1)-

"Draa's study concluded that those schools with uniform policies improved in attendance, 
graduation and suspension rates."

Here are some effects that were found in a scientific study-

"A case study of the effects of adopting school uniforms in Long Beach, CA which 
appeared in Psychology Today in September, 1999, reported the following effects from
the switch to uniforms in 1995:

• Overall, the crime rate dropped by 91%

• School suspensions dropped by 90%

• Sex offenses were reduced by 96%

• Incidents of vandalism went down 69%"

There was another study done in Kenya that proved school uniforms enhanced academic performance (source 2.)

Respect and Attention
Wearing different clothing can easily distract people. Looking at others clothing can easily cause someone to judge them or to measure the attractiveness.

Individualism
Also coming from this document(source 1,) it shows one reason that it helps individualize people-

"The wearing of school uniforms helps students to realize that a person’s unique gifts and 
personality traits go deeper than their apparel and aren’t diminished by uniform dress. "

I would like to thank my opponent for the interesting debate.

1. http://www.mcfarland.k12.wi.us...;
2. http://www.poverty-action.org...;
Zak99

Con

Zak99 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Travniki 4 years ago
Travniki
SeelTheManZak99Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Thorougly won debate. Conduct for FF, sources for quotes, convincing arguments because pro dealt with absolutely every thing brought up in the round
Vote Placed by Multi_Pyrocytophage 4 years ago
Multi_Pyrocytophage
SeelTheManZak99Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited a round. Also, Con started using his own personal examples with his arguments, which is not very good.