Ocean_eyes
bballcrook21

School uniforms

bballcrook21
Started: 8/4/2015 Category: Fashion

Ocean_eyes

Con

We souls be able to express ourselves with our sense of fashion. Now I understand that you can show up to school in a bra and panties. But we should be able to wear cute skirts and be able to show our shoulders. And you see some schools with cross Country guys running around with no shirt on, and we're not aloud to wear short skirts?????? That's sexist if you ask me. This is Kat and I approve this message👍
bballcrook21

Pro

Your mind on the matter should be on getting an education, and learning how to create an actual argument, rather then trying to wear "cute skirts".

School is by no means a place to develop your fashion. School is an institution where you learn, not where you play. I understand that our current school system is very poorly executed, which enables people to see it as a place to goof off rather then to learn, such as yourself. The fact of the matter is, your priority should not be to wear "cute skirts".

If you were to ask me, I think that we should have uniforms in public schools that are paid for by the students, instead of being financed by the state. This will create a sense of equality, as to seem less devisive in terms of how dress rules are applied to students. Also, I'm sure that cross country guys are not "aloud" to go shirtless on school grounds.
Ocean_eyes

Con

School uniforms restrict students' freedom of expression. The first amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees that all that all individuals have the right to express themselves feely. The U.S. Supreme court Stated in Tinker v. Des Moines independent community school district (7-2, 1969) that "it can hardly be argued that ether students or teachers shed their constitutional to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate." In the 1970 case Richards v. Thurston (3-0), which revolved around a boy refusing to have his haircut shorter, the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that "compelled conformity to conventional standards of appearance" does not "seem a justifiable part of educational process." Clothing choices are "a crucial form of self-expression," according to the American civil liberties Union of Nevada, which also stated that "allowing students to choose their clothing is an empowering message from the schools.
bballcrook21

Pro

I am quick to notice your sudden change of vernacular. I do not suspect plagiarism, but I think you can understand my suspicion.

Nonetheless, this is not a debate over expression. School is, and always has been, a public or private institution in which you are taught a basic curriculum. Additionally, school uniforms create conformity to equal rules, rather then creating a disparity between females and males. The largest argument I see relating to this issue is that men are allowed to lower their pants while women are not allowed to show their shoulders. If we instituted an elaborate program, in which all students, were forced to wear a uniform, then these issues would secede.

Additionally, school uniforms will eliminate clothing based bullying, as everyone will wear the same outfit. It will also eliminate any ability to wear anything related or attuning to a gang or juvenile and criminal institution.

http://www.listland.com...
Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
Although, it does make it amusing.
Posted by bballcrook21 1 year ago
bballcrook21
I know right. This isn't a libertarian topic to debate.
Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
I find it ironic that there are two libertarians in a debate over this.
Posted by 16kadams 1 year ago
16kadams
"It is also not good to debate idiots, as they will stoop you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

LMAO. Then why do you do that?

"I have been on this site for about a month, while you have been on a lot longer then that."

... Duh? But the point is you literally just insult the people you are debating when you win. I mean, you assume she is stupid. She isn't. Being an inexperienced writer =\= stupid.

Next.

"If your argument applies to both of us, then why do you slander me only?"

Cause you're being a d!ck about it.

"Other then that, I do not go hunting for people to debate, especially people with low skill."

Best hunter. Doesn't hunt for people with no skill but accepts their debate challenges. "I don't want to shoot a buck, but I seem to always shoot the one with the antlers! Derp derp!"

_____

I mean bruh, I'm sure you're a smart guy, a chill guy, and a nice dude in real life. But you don't know the person you're debating against. I'm not gonna get into specifics, for the sake of anonymity, but I know her in real life and with some practice she'll be good at this. Look at my first debate. I was about as bad as this. Now look at me.

I mean I prolly sound like a d!ck, and I'm sorry for that. But just chill out, relax, and accept the win. And you know what, if you really want to be nice, give her advice as to how to NOT plagiarize. May sound silly, but even a little help can go a long way for inexperienced debaters. All my training comes down to an old PM that I had on formatting. The rest was from experience plugging into that formula!
Posted by Ocean_eyes 1 year ago
Ocean_eyes
But thanks for the backup 16kadams :)
Posted by Ocean_eyes 1 year ago
Ocean_eyes
Well I used to play a long time ago but then I for got my password and made a new account.
Posted by Ocean_eyes 1 year ago
Ocean_eyes
And I just started😀👍
Posted by bballcrook21 1 year ago
bballcrook21
If your argument applies to both of us, then why do you slander me only? I have been on this site for about a month, while you have been on a lot longer then that. I have not had the chance nor the will to debate everybody. I am on every day, and I constantly refresh the debate list to see if any interesting topics have arisen. Other then that, I do not go hunting for people to debate, especially people with low skill. I do care about my win ratio and my ranking, but I am not here to get numbers, I am here to develop debating skills and learn. It is also not good to debate idiots, as they will stoop you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Posted by 16kadams 1 year ago
16kadams
Calling her out for plagiarism was a good thing, but I love how you're acting all high and mighty and think you are some genius debater. All you do is debate noobs, lol. I am guilty of that, too. However, that would ignore the fact that I have debated top debaters on impossible resolutions and won (e.g. here: http://www.debate.org...).
Posted by Ocean_eyes 1 year ago
Ocean_eyes
Smart!
Vote Placed by cathaystewie 1 year ago
cathaystewie
Ocean_eyesbballcrook21Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO used sources and had correct spelling and grammar throughout. CON never justified or framed the term of 'freedom of expression', while PRO aptly pointed out that, through characterising schools, school uniforms are another medium of schools exercising their purpose of instruction and education, thus rebutting the only argument that CON presented. PRO himself never raised any arguments (except briefly mentioning bullying and criminal institution) but that was not called for by CON since he/she never stated the BOP to be shared. Thus, I award my vote to PRO.
Vote Placed by PericIes 1 year ago
PericIes
Ocean_eyesbballcrook21Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Pro for Con's plagiarism. Spelling and grammar goes to Pro for Con's numerous mistakes, such as "aloud" instead of "allowed." Arguments to go Pro for Con's plagiarism. Reliable sources go to Pro for having the only source provided.