GBastardo36
IAlwaysWinDebates

School

IAlwaysWinDebates

GBastardo36

Con

School is no longer about learning but about getting good grades.
IAlwaysWinDebates

Pro

I'd have to disagree with you good sir, I take it round one is acceptance so I accept this debate.
GBastardo36

Con

Fine sir. Well our school system is completely messed up. A student can take 4 or 5 classes, in which the extra elective is the 5th. If the student gets 100 percent for every class for 4 classes, then the GPA, out of a 12 point scale, could be a (12.5). That is if two of the 4 classes are AP or Honors classes. For the 5 classes, two of them AP or honors, the points in the classes would be 13, 13, 12, 12, 12, which is a GPA of (12.4). The 4 classes would be give you 13, 13, 12, 12. WHICH in turn, the 4 classes would give you a .1 higher GPA. What I'm trying say here is that some students would do anything to have the higher GPA. To receive that higher GPA they would have to take the 4 classes instead. If they took the 4 class they would be learning less. Just because they want a better grade instead of learning. GRADES ARE MORE IMPORTANT, apparently.
IAlwaysWinDebates

Pro

First I'd like to address what some things you said; as I was reading your "arguments" you only brought up things such as "What ifs" and you told people about the scale that things are graded on, not "School is no longer about learning but about getting good grades." Yes school is about grades but its also about learning. About 68% of students avidly attend school; in which about 56% go because they are looking to learn the other 12% are there because something of a parent wants them to (or another reason). The 32% are people who just pain don't come or have/are going to be drop outs. This is about a 44-56, with over half attending to learn. (http://www.statistics.com...)

Next I'd like to address your 12 point system, I am not sure where you are but where I am at it works as the fallowing: We have 6 classes 3 of which are year round (Math, Science, English -some times history) The rest are things such as electives or other (Math/Science classes) that you may or may-not wont. Next our GPA is based of a 4 point system: A= 4.0 B=3.0 C=2.0 D=1.0 F=0 S=0 U=?: At the end of each semester we calculate our GPA which is add the 6 classes grades up than divide by the number of classes for Ex: 4+3+2+4+4+4=21 (4A's 1B 1C) 21/6= 3.5 so He/She'd have a 3.5 GPA.
Posted by Mussab 2 years ago
Mussab
I can't vote but I have to agree with Con. What he's saying aren't "What ifs" but are mere facts. In my school, I know people who flock to non-AP classes to get the higher GPA.
Vote Placed by Gs325jcbd 2 years ago
Gs325jcbd
GBastardo36IAlwaysWinDebatesTied
Reasons for voting decision: As stated by the Pro, the con said mostly what ifs. Ialwayswindebates proved how school is about learning also.