Schools Should Allow The Owning And Usage Of Mobile Phones.

I shall prove my position by defending my arguments about how schools should allow the usage of mobile phones.

A mobile phone (also known as a cellular phone, cell phone, and a hand phone) is a device that can make and receive telephone calls over a radio link while moving around a wide geographic area. It does so by connecting to a cellular network provided by a mobile phone operator, allowing access to the public telephone network. By contrast, a cordless telephone is used only within the short range of a single, private base station.

My reasons why mobile phones should be bannes will be listed below:

Reason 1:

Mobile Phones keep children safe. If any sign of emergency, the children may be allowed to use their mobile phones to contact 911 or their parents. If their school teaches fire drills, earthquake drills, and others, they might be in a situation in which their school is being raided, or is in the proccess of a shooting, they may also be able to contact 911 or anyone of their relatives.

Reason 2:

Mobile phones encourage the development of independence and interpersonal skills.Education is as much about the growth in character and dealing with risks as it is the accumulation of knowledge; mobile phones provide for children a means to converse with peers, develop friendships and resolve disputes, all within minutes of each other, night and day. For them, ‘getting a cell phone is a step towards independence and a status symbol among their friends’.[1] The confidence and self-esteem derived from having a mobile phone cannot be underappreciated, as proven by the corresponding negative impact of losing one’s phone. An Independent study in 2004 found that 55 per cent of people cited ‘keeping in touch with friends or family as the main reason for being wedded to their handsets'.[2] Furthermore, the increasing potential of smart phones facilitates the accessing of information in real-time and on the move; a determined child with a grasp of the potential of their mobile phone can illuminate themselves on matters like directions to destinations, opening times for activities and immediate weather forecasts. With such information, children can begin to reason with each other and make decisions without resort to more mature advice.

My arguments declare all the reason why mobile phones should be allowed in public schools.

I rest my case.

I would like to thank my opponent for debating me on this vital issue.
To begin, I would like to note that I as the negative merely need to demonstrate that the resolution as it stands is an incorrect position.
I will agree with my opponent's definition for now, but reserve the right to clarify my understanding of it throughout the debate.

I assume that my opponents statement about "why mobile phones should be banned" was a typing error, as the pro debater, my opponent's burden is to argue that schools should allow the owning and usage of cell phones.

Answering Reason one: Emergencies
Usage of cell phones during emergencies often contravenes school policy, undermining administrator's ability to keep order. Furthermore, mass student usage of cell phones jams cell phone towers, preventing their usage by law enforcement or other personnel who are trying to help the students in the case of emergency. (Reasons 9 & 12 on page 2 of

Answering Reason two: Independence
The reality is that cell phones function as the modern status symbol . (
While the goal of teaching children independence is admirable, the purpose of a school is to teach children the curriculum. If they are too busy socializing they are missing out on the information necessary to their futures. Independence is a good thing, but not at the expense of education. Indeed cell phones are one of the main ways that students cheat, which is a) not an independent behavior, and b) not academically beneficial (Reasons 3&5 on page 2 of

Having answered my opponents arguments I will now move on to other reasons why this resolution ought to be voted in favor of the con.
Schools do not have the authority to prevent students from owning cell phones. Since this is a key portion of the debate, then since it is illegal for them to perform this action, then they should not do it.
"In the Tinker v. Des Moines case, the U.S. Supreme Court said students have the right to free speech at school unless their speech would cause a "material and substantial disruption" to class" (
Because of the potential and actual disruptions made possible by cell phone technology, not only in the immediate classroom, but also in disrupting the learning of any other number of students at the school, cell phones cause material (loss of education) and substantial (as a high portion of the school is often involved in cell phone usage) disruption to the school/. (Note that this is specifically United States case law, but I think that the Tinker Standard is a good standard to base any discussion of technological/social development"s impacts on education)
3.Social Harm
a) "The undoubted freedom to advocate unpopular and controversial views in schools and classrooms must be balanced against the society"s countervailing interest in teaching students the boundaries of socially appropriate behavior."
Thus, under Fraser, although in a different context, schools have the duty to teach their students socially acceptable behavior, which I will contend does not include texting during a presentation, or when being spoken to by another.
b) Students are texting all the time in class.
The average college student checks their cell phone 11 times a day while in class, anew University of Nebraska-Lincoln study finds, and only eight percent say they never look at their mobile device while they should be paying attention to their instructor.
When they are looking at their phone, 86 percent said in the survey they're texting. Two-thirds admitted to checking email or social networks in class either on their mobile device or laptop. A majority -- 55 percent -- said they did this out of boredom."
"The most commonly cited disadvantages were that they don"t pay attention (90 percent), miss instruction (80 percent), or get called out by their instructor (32 percent). More than a fourth said they lose grade points because of their digital habits."

Given these three reasons (Legality, Discipline, and Social Harm) , as well as the refutation of my opponents two reasons, I see no reason to support this resolution. Thank you to the viewers and my opponent, and I look forward to the next rounds of debate.

I understand my opponents arguments and shall explain something that will prove both our sides.

Students should be allowed but can't use them during teaching and can only use them during an emergency.

Riani forfeited this round.

derDepperte forfeited this round.

I must apologize to my opponent and the viewers for my forfeiture of the previous round. I am truly sorry, but hope that you can understand that life must take precedence to this debate, and even this wonderful community.
My opponent's only response to my arguments (which he declined to expand upon by forfeiting the rest of the round that remained), was merely an attempt at redefining the question at hand, which every observer I hope will agree is hardly a fair attempt at winning this debate. If my opponent wanted that proviso in the debate, s/he could have rephrased the resolution, and since s/he chose not to, as the pro, it is his/her burden to accept what they have set for him/herself.
Furthermore, my opponent's clarification walks straight into the problem I presented to you in "Answering Reason One: Emergencies", which my opponent declined to respond to. This, plus the further disadvantages I outline for you in the remainder of my case are more than a sufficient reason to vote Con.
Thank you for taking time to read through and vote on this debate, and I hope to debate all of you soon!