Azul145
LaL36

Schools Should Get Rid Of Summer

LaL36

Azul145

Pro

Our kids need a better education which means school. Public schools test scores are at an all time low. Private schools are doing okay but compared to other countries we are not doing so well. I have 3 main points to back up my opinion.
(1) Low test scores
(2) Future Economy
(3) Keeping up with the world

1. Our public schools compared to other public schools in developed countries are not doing very well. In reading, math, and science we are 14th worldwide. Other countries that are teaching their kids with enthusiasm are passing us economically. If we have longer school time, then we can catch up to South Korea, Finland, China, and Canada. We can be the ones on top like we used to. More time at school would give the students more time to learn different topics, become well rounded, and have individual time with a teacher.

2. If our kids are not educated, America will fail economically. We will not be smart enough to trade with other countries and continue to develop technology and grow. Our kids are the future of America and if they are not educated properly America will not be the best in technology and new advancements. Like I said before longer school time will result in a climb in Americas education rankings worldwide.

3. If we cannot keep up with the world in education America will not be as wealthy as we are. We won't be able to invent new technologies and advancements in our military. These countries that are ahead of us will bypass us in technology and economy. Our economy will not grow without proper education.
LaL36

Con

It is difficult to tell based on my opponents debate whether he is against schools' way of educating or summer vacation.

"Our kids need a better education which means school."
I think you mean more school. If so, have you ever heard the saying quality not quantity. What if the kids have crappy teachers? How would them learning with crappy teachers in the summer lead to better education.

"Our public schools compared to other public schools in developed countries are not doing very well."

Are you aware that these other countries also have summer vacation? Kids arent doing well simply because they are aren't trying due to a lack of interest, or they just aren't that smart.

"and have individual time with a teacher."

Why wouldn't kids be able to have individual time with kids during the school year?

"If our kids are not educated, America will fail economically."

Just because kids have summer vacation doesn't mean they aren't educated.

"if they are not educated properly America will not be the best in technology and new advancements"

Once again kids are being educated and if they aren't educated properly, it is not because of summer vacation. This quote of yours is an example of how it is difficult to determine what you are arguing about.

"Like I said before longer school time will result in a climb in Americas education rankings worldwide."

Do you mean the students or the educators? If you mean students, you cannot guarantee better results from kids just because school is being made longer. If a student is doing atrocious in the winter, why would he do better in the summer?

"Our economy will not grow without proper education"

Okay I am going to point out that the title of this debate "schools should get ride of summer" not schools don't have proper education.

"If we cannot keep up with the world in education America will not be as wealthy as we are"

I am focusing on the words "as we are". Summer vacation has been around for a long time. If America has been wealthy all these years with summer vacation, why would it change?

Conclusion and more arguments: Summer is necessary part in a child's life. One of the main reasons kids do bad in school is lack of interest. Without summer, kids will be less interested and even more bored because they don't have a break and the quality of their work will become lower making a negative effect rather than positive. Once again, all those countries that are better than us have breaks similar to summer vacation and they are simply better because the kids are either just smarter or more interested. Good Luck!
Azul145

Pro

I would like to disagree with you when you said that other countries have summer like we do. Yes some do but they are much shorter than ours is. And may I remind you that we were wealthy back then because school was longer and there was more of a focus on it because kids weren't worried about vacation. Back then summer meant work. We are not working during summers anymore we are simply wasting time. Time that could be used learning and passing other countries with education rankings. We cannot do this if for 3 months kids are forgetting what they learned and not staying academically fit. This fits in with my 3 main points before and I think this debate is in my favor.
LaL36

Con

"I would like to disagree with you when you said that other countries have summer like we do. Yes some do but they are much shorter than ours is."

And you don't give examples of those countries. China for example has only 6 weeks of summer but 6 weeks of vacation for Chinese New Years. http://www.streetdirectory.com...

"And may I remind you that we were wealthy back then because school was longer and there was more of a focus on it because kids weren't worried about vacation"

Then how do you explain the Great Depression? Also, no kids just sit in class and are "worried" about vacation. They may look forward to vacation and don't have an interest towards school. Without summer vacation kids will have no interest in school. They need a break. While we're taking away summer vacation, we might as well take away sleep. People waste 8 hours sleeping and doing nothing when they could be working (I am being sarcastic using my opponents logic). The answer is that summer, like sleep, is a necessity. Going back to the example of sleep, do you think you will work better when your tired? I think you would answer no. So, in conclusion, although kids are in fact, working longer, the quality of their work will be worse. Also, since kids are ditching school now, imagine how many more kids will ditch of there are no breaks. Some kids might not come to school at all!

"Back then summer meant work."

I recommend using sources. So since there aren't many sources describing summer back then, the only source I could use to refute your statement is by referring you to a book "To kill a mocking bird". Although, the story didn't happen, it was based on a time period during the Great Depression. All the kids Jem, Scout, and Dill played during the summer and even during the school year.

"We are not working during summers anymore"

Are you aware of summer school? If kids don't do well, they are REQUIRED do go to summer school. Also, Sylvan makes a lot of money in the summer.

"we are simply wasting time."

Again, I am going to back to my sleeping example. It is not a waste of time it leads to better quality in a student's work just like sleep does.

"Time that could be used learning and passing other countries"

America is the wealthiest country in the world which is why a lot of people want to live here. While I do agree with you that our education rankings need to get better, taking away summer will decrease education rankings.
Azul145

Pro

I would like to start by saying nice job to con. Your arguments are good and you are a strong debater.

I will start by refuting then I will begin my rebuttal.

You said some very interesting things in your second round. You said summer is a necessity. That is like saying ice cream is a necessity when it is not it is just something good and something you like. You also argued something very interesting and i thought this was quite funny. You said that I did not support sleep because I do not support summer. You made up your own argument and refuted it. NICE WORK!

We need to get rid of summer to boost our academic level. We are 14th in the world and we need to climb to the top. For an unknown reason we are falling so reform must be made. I believe summer is the way to go to achieve this and my opponent has not offered any other ways to do it so I think this debate is in my favor
LaL36

Con

"That is like saying ice cream is a necessity when it is not it is just something good and something you like."
No it is not because summer leads to better work quality, I already explained it to you. Kids cannot focus in school for that long. Even towards the end of the year kids start to joke around. So your comparison makes no sense.

"You said that I did not support sleep because I do not support summer."

I did not say that. You said a similar, but worse, argument by saying since I think summer is important therefore I think ice cream is important. My comparison makes sense because sleep you are doing nothing but you need to work better. If you take away sleep and replace it with work, you will work longer, but the quality of the work will be atrocious. Same with summer. Although you are working longer by taking away summer. Kids will not be able to focus because they desire and need a break just like sleep therefore my comparison was legitimate and relevant unlike your ice cream comparison which had no legitimacy or relevance.

"You made up your own argument and refuted it."

No you made up your own argument and I am refuting it.

"We need to get rid of summer to boost our academic level."

This my third time explaining that when it comes to academics, it is quality of work not quantity of work. I will make the quality worse the quantity more therefore decreasing our academic level.

"For an unknown reason we are falling"

It is not unknown. It because lack of interest and just generally not being as smart. What is not a a reason for academic level lowering, is summer.

"my opponent has not offered any other ways to do it so I think this debate is in my favor"

I am not required to provide a solution, just dismantle yours which I have successfully done. And the only solution known is for the students to do the work. It is not the educators faults.

I thank my opponent for debating, for calling me a good debater, and I thank the voters for reading.
Posted by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
Shame PRO lost this debate because I strongly agree with his position.

If PRO simply sourced where he got this quote:

"We are 14th in the world and we need to climb to the top."

...I would have given him 2 points for sources. Completely agree with CON and RoyLatham that you guys can both benefit from sources, although I sympathize with CON not using sources since PRO cited facts without sources from the beginning.

An example of sourcing:

Debate is "contention in argument; dispute, controversy; discussion." [1]

It takes 10 seconds to source, and you don't even need to type what you quote, you can just copy and paste it, so in many cases it can save you some time too. Just copy and paste the web address at the bottom of your argument. It adds a lot to your credibility (although you may not want to rely too heavily on something like Wikipedia if you're going to debate more serious topics).

Recommend that PRO just take a breather between rounds, spend as much time per round as he did his opening round, and that alone would probably increase his performance dramatically. PRO's argument is well structured and well-argued, but his follow-up in subsequent rounds can use a bit of work.

Lastly, gave one point to PRO for giving a compliment to CON. GG and good job both sides.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
"Summer vacation at most Japanese public elementary and middle schools now starts on Marine Day on July 20 and usually lasts for around six weeks through the end of August. In some regions like Hokkaido, though, where winters are very cold, summer vacations are sometimes a little shorter and winter breaks longer.

The Japanese school year begins in April, so summer vacation comes between the first and second terms. Homework is often given so kids won't forget what they learned in the first term. While the homework given to middle school students is focused on exercises and drills in Japanese, math, and English, they're also required to write essays and create artworks."
http://web-japan.org...

"In the face of budget shortfalls, school districts in many parts of the United States today are moving toward four-day weeks. This is despite evidence that longer school weeks and years can improve academic performance. Schoolchildren in China attend school 41 days a year more than most young Americans"and receive 30% more hours of instruction. Schools in Singapore operate 40 weeks a year. Saturday classes are the norm in Korea and other Asian countries"and Japanese authorities are having second thoughts about their 1998 decision to cease Saturday-morning instruction. This additional time spent learning is one big reason that youngsters from many Asian nations routinely out-score their American counterparts on international tests of science and math."
http://online.wsj.com...
Posted by Azul145 4 years ago
Azul145
Yes obviously.
Posted by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
I believe you mean get rid of summer break. They can't actually get rid of summer itself.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
Azul145LaL36Tied
Reasons for voting decision: see comment
Vote Placed by blackfirewolf 4 years ago
blackfirewolf
Azul145LaL36Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't really seem to make any convincing arguments while con dismantled pro expertly. I think a little more time or reasearch could have improved both of their arguments.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
Azul145LaL36Tied
Reasons for voting decision: A weak debate because neither side used ay sources giving the relationship between the length of the school year and academic performance. Pro could probably have prevailed if he did the research, but he didn't and as a result did not meet the burden of proof. The idea of no summer break is extreme; Pro would have been better resolving to shorten the vacation to four or five weeks.