MolecularBird06
tswizzle36

Schools Should Start Later in The Day

tswizzle36

MolecularBird06

Pro

First round is acceptance.
tswizzle36

Con

I'll debate.
I am kind of new so let's see how it goes.
MolecularBird06

Pro

MolecularBird06 forfeited this round.
tswizzle36

Con

Schools should start eary, like normal, because it gives you more time at the end of the day for extracurricular activities.
Plus, it allows us to not waste time and start the day productive.
We can sleep when we are dead.
Vote NEG because FF and swag
MolecularBird06

Pro

Schools should start early to gives kids more time to sleep. According to a study done "sleep deprivation in teens has been linked to lower levels of Human Growth Hormone, which is integral to a teenager"s physical growth, brain development, and maturation of their immune system, as well as higher rates of anxiety disorders and depression." Also teenagers with more sleep have a tendency to score higher in schools. In a study of fourth and sixth graders conducted by sleep researcher Dr. Avi Sadeh at Tel Aviv University, a mere one-hour nightly loss of sleep was "equivalent to the loss of two years of cognitive maturation and development." In other words, when deprived of just one hour of sleep each night, a sleep-deprived sixth-grader performed like a fourth grader. That's not progress. Also sleep influences people alertness. Most teens need about nine hours of sleep a night , and sometimes more , to maintain optimal daytime alertness, but many children don't get enough sleep due to numerous factors. Also academics are more important that after school activities, and a person can change there schedule by an hour or two. Also most people have the first one or two hours after they leave school free.

Soruces:
http://www.washingtonpost.com...
http://www.cnn.com...
tswizzle36

Con

All my oponents case was based on is the fact that kids performance and grades go down because of not getting enough sleep. But that doesn't mean that school should start later in the day. If we set school to start an hour later, kids would probably just stay up an hour later the night before. Therefore they would get the same sleep deprivation as before and it would not change anything.
If we really wanted to boost our performance in school, we should solve our sleep deprivation issues by going to bed earlier so we have more hours of sleep.

"Also academics are more important that after school activities, and a person can change there schedule by an hour or two. Also most people have the first one or two hours after they leave school free."

*than (sorry haha)
And yes people can change their schedule by an hour or two! By going to sleep earlier!
Most people? Do you have statistics that most students have the first two or one hours after they leave school? Most students do sports right after school or have to go work if they are in high school. Does that mean that if we push school to later in the day that we won't have enough time? Yes it does. Schools should remain how they are now.
MolecularBird06

Pro

A teenager could not go to bed early even if they wanted to. Teenagers that are going through puberty can't go to sleep earlier even if they wanted to because of hormonal changes in there body. I also do have proof that many people stay home after school:
http://www.edutopia.org...
Also a small minority of kids have after school sports and 65% of high school students don't have jobs. Where is your evidence that high school students have hobs?

Aren't academics a priority over playing football or an after school job? A collage would rather take a child that has all As and Bs instead of the kid who got strait Cs and played football, in fact many collages won't accept the kid with Cs. It is more important to make sure you get into a good collage than work after school, a child who goes to collage will make $21,528 more a year than a high school graduate.

http://www.petersons.com...
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com...
http://www.ask.com...
tswizzle36

Con

"A teenager could not go to bed early even if they wanted to. Teenagers that are going through puberty can't go to sleep earlier even if they wanted to because of hormonal changes in there body."

This is simply not true. It's all sleeping habbits. Hormonal changes in the body can not tell when it is light or dark outside. If that was the case teenagers couldn't respond properly to other routines and time changes when traveling. It is all about good habbits. If a teenager makes a routine and sticks to it, it will become easier to go to sleep earlier. It has happened to me before, and I think every one can agree that they have fallen asleep at 7 pm at least once before. Which is considered an early time. So the statement "a teenager could not go to bed earlier even if they wanted to" is not true. It is all common sense.
Keep in mind, we are not just talking about teenagers as well. We are talking about littler children that go to school too. Children need proper bed times and if they are adressed and are enforced they would get the amount of sleep they needed in order to properly learn.
I'm not providing many sources because this rebut is just common sense. It is not impossible for teenagers to adjust their sleeping schedules as well as it is not impossible for children to have earlier bed times set. I know from my own experiences and if you disagree and say you have never fallen asleep "early" before, I would call false on that. Schools do not need to start earlier because students can have earlier bed times and go to school at the regular time and do academics to the best of their abilities.

"I also do have proof that many people stay home after school:http://www.edutopia.org...;

This main jist of this article is that it is written about how lots of children are left unattended after school.
You also said "A small minority of kids have after school sports and 65% of high school students don't have jobs."
Hmmm, a small minority of kids? kids? Can I get age specific? and 65%? That is only 15% off of one half. Basically by providing that statistic you are saying that the other 35% of high school students who have jobs do not matter. I believe the rule that schools would start at a different time would apply to everyone so we should think about everyone involved with this arrangement. This means that my argument of people needing time to do things after school is still valid. We need to think about the minority of kids and the 35% too.

"Where is your evidence that high school students have hobs?"
I am just going to assume you meant "jobs" and not "hobs." I probably could not find a very good statistic for students possessing a machine tool used for cutting gears or screw threads..
Anyway onto evidence about high school students having JOBS,
Like I said this debate is common sense. I know peers with jobs. My sister, a senior in high school, has a job after school. Which is proof from a high school student. (I'm enrolled at SBHS if you need proof just look up my name haha) My friends have jobs right after school. There are countless articles talking about students with jobs, which is proof in itself that students possess jobs.
evidence: http://thinkprogress.org...#
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com...
So there is your proof that students involved in school have jobs.

"Aren't academics a priority over playing football or an after school job?" of course
"A collage would rather take a child that has all As and Bs instead of the kid who got strait Cs and played football, in fact many collages won't accept the kid with Cs." Obviously... And I'm sorry but it is *college
I'm not going to try to prove these statements from my opponent wrong, because they are correct. The point is that academics do not have to be chosen over playing a sport and grades don't have to be risked because school can start at the same and we will have time to do them both successfully.

My opponent has given no real reason for schools to start earlier other than saying students cannot perform to the best of their abilities with sleep deprivation. I have offered a solution to sleep deprivation- going to sleep earlier. Which is not only an easier solution to this whole academic problem but it saves time for after school activities, that if you are involved in, will also help you get into college and succeed in life.

"It is more important to make sure you get into a good collage than work after school, a child who goes to collage will make $21,528 more a year than a high school graduate."
yes, this is true. You can get into a good college and have successful academics in school without starting school earlier, as i have adressed before. So this college argument is really no relevant because i have solved the grade problem.

Our education system has many flaws but starting early is not one of them. Starting early allows for extra time after school to go after your ambitions, partcipate in sports, and build relationships. All the problems that result can be resolved by a change in your sleeping schedule. We don't have to mess up the school arrangment when teenagers and children can just have earlier bed times and succeed in their academics with no sleep deprivation. School should not start earlier in the day because it is not necessary.

I wish my oponent did not forfeit so we could have one more round to go into further details of this debate.
Since that is not the case though, I believe i have strengthened my points and provided good counter arguments that show why school should start at the regular time. I urge a strong vote in the negation. Thank you for the great debate.
Posted by tswizzle36 3 years ago
tswizzle36
That is okay! I was just saying I should get points since i had better spelling. You're a great debater anyway so don't really worry about it.
Posted by MolecularBird06 3 years ago
MolecularBird06
lol, im not good at spelling in english, its not my primary language.
Posted by tswizzle36 3 years ago
tswizzle36
If you guys do not vote that I had better spelling I will cry. He spelt college wrong like 4 times.......... and ya...... college.....
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
MolecularBird06tswizzle36Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's initial arguments was moot as to which side could use them, and Con cleverly made use of that. In fact, Pro never really argued on his side of the resolution, and simply made irrelevant points. Con pointed this out in virtually every instance, and so arguments go to Con. I almost decided against giving Con conduct (for Pro's forfeit), because she decided to correct Pro's spelling. That's quite rude, but not as rude as forfeiting a round. The sources weren't relevant to this debate.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
MolecularBird06tswizzle36Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were better. Pro lost conduct for the forfeit.