Schools Should Start Later in the Day - Local Schools

I believe that in K-12 education, our education system is burdened by the lack of sleep, which many students as well as staff do not get. Sleep is vital, and I believe that schools should start 1 or 1 1/2 hours later.

I would like to thank Contra for making this debate
i hope we both do well and may the best debater win!

I will like to state the i will be using the time 9:00 AM as the time school starts since this is when my school starts.

Now i will start by defining terms....

sleep   [sleep] Show IPA verb, slept, sleep�ing, noun
verb (used without object)
to take the rest afforded by a suspension of voluntary bodily functions and the natural suspension, complete or partial, of consciousness; cease being awake.

ed�u�ca�tion   [ej-oo-key-shuhn] Show IPA
the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.

A load, esp. a heavy one

Now that I have defined these terms, i will refute my opponents argument.

My opponent says that the education system (education as defined above), is burdened (also defined above) by lack of sleep.

Now the healthy amount of sleep for a Teen and school-aged children is 9 hours at least.

that being said, if the earliest time school starts (9:00 AM as stated above), a school aged-child/teen could go to sleep at 10:00PM to 11:00PM (which is legal curfue) and wake up at 7:00AM Or 8:00AM
giving 1 hour to get ready for school

so as stated above, School students have enough time to sleep for a healthy amount, and still be ready for school.

Now i agree with you on the fatc that school is burdened by sleep, but not because of the school hours, but because of the lack of responsibility of the people.

This USATODAY artical states that lest then half! (4 out of 10) people get a healthy amount of sleep, and i have shown above that school students have more then enough time to sleep, so obviously the only remaning factor is that they are staying up late

Thank you, and i would ask the public to forgive me if i have any spelling or gramical errors, i have Dyslexia

Agian, Thank you!

I apologize to the Public as well as my opponent. This debate was meant to be, and is centered around High School, and I believe that school should start no earlier than 8:30-9:00 A.M. I was SLEEP DEPRIVED so I forgot to add this. I will accept the definitions that my opponent had. Now, I will continue.

Background to Sleep

Ah, sleep. It is critical to humans. We use sleep to rejuvenate our bodies, rebuild our cells and injuries, to give our bodies time to rest, to maintain metabolism, to process memories, and serve many other useful functions. I have given a list just to stress what some of the benefits of a full nights sleep are to individuals and to society if they get their recommended amount of sleep:

-Improves memory
-Extends lifespan
-Reduces inflammation
-Helps bodies repair themselves
-Improves creativity
-Improves Grades of Students
-Sharpens Attention
-Helps maintain a healthy weight
-Lowers and stabilizes stress
-Avoid more accidents
-Help avoid depression

We use sleep to maintain basic levels of cognitive and motor function. We feel more alert and more aware when well rested. Also, in case you didn't notice, we spend (should!) a third of our lives asleep.

Importance to Education and Society

Students need to have a good sleep schedule to learn the best in school. Many High Schools start at 7:30, as does mine from personal experience. Teenagers have a change of sleep schedule during puberty. Biological shifts alter in teenagers. It is very difficult to fight against one's internal clock. Teenagers are naturally adept to falling asleep at 11:00 to Midnight, and need to wake up 6:00 - 6:30. However, teenagers need nine hours of sleep. With less sleep, you create a sleep debt.

So, teenagers fall asleep at roughly midnight on average, and later if poor sleep habits are in place, have too many social obligations, or have a sleep disorder. So, the average teenager gets 7.4 hours, which is not healthy enough. Some High Schools have already pushed back school start times, here are their results:

• Improved Attendance and enrollment rates
  • Increased Daytime alertness
  • Decreased student depression

I would also suggest a course taught to students on sleep and show its importance on health. This would certainly lead to more sleep time among adolescents, improving their lives.

Sleep Debt: The cumulative effect of not getting enough sleep. A large sleep debt may lead tomental and/or physical fatigue.

Teenagers that don't get enough sleep builds a large sleep debt, which makes the individual more irritable, and have other adverse effects on health such as weight, weaker immune system, etc.

• Ø Sleep is critical to people's health, especially to students
  • Ø Increased Sleep improves one's life and just about every facet in it
  • Ø A large sleep debt is dangerous to one's health
  • Ø Education on Sleep to Students would encourage and promote more sleep time
  • Ø Hormones are mostly to blame, not the teenagers themselves
  • Ø It has been proven that later school start times are beneficial to the students and schools.
  • Ø Homework and other social responsibilities take time of a student's day after school

I await my opponent's response.

Cactuar24 forfeited this round.

Extend arguments.

Cactuar24 forfeited this round.
Posted by joseph.turpen 4 years ago
so true im writing a paper about this in class right now thats why im looking up facts to support itthanks!
Posted by Mirza 4 years ago
I've seen studies claiming that late school starts leads toward students getting more sleep. Sure, in the short-term. I'd like to see more evidence for long-term late school start. Wouldn't the students just push their sleep time ahead later on?

Hopefully someone serious will accept this and make the debate good.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams :P
Posted by Oldfrith 4 years ago
I agree with elements. I'll see if I will if you provide an exact time.
Posted by wjmelements 4 years ago
"1 or 2 hours later" is relative; could you specify a time you would like school to start? Some schools tart at 7:20 and some start at 9:00.
Vote Placed by Lordknukle 4 years ago