Mackie8363926
Logical_One

Schools in the US should have all healthy foods.

Logical_One

Mackie8363926

Pro

Every school should push for their students to have the best lunches. That doesn't mean being able to eat ice cream everyday or have fat fries. That means, the school needs to push for healthier food. Fruits, Veggies, such as Strawberries, Watermelon, Zucchini, and even Carrot are all great things to have at lunch!
Logical_One

Con

Schools are getting out of hand with the healthy lunch programs. Schools are overstepping what should be their boundaries.
Schools should have a variety of foods available to choose from. What my child is allowed to eat is the business of her mother and father. There are many schools that are now not allowing a child to eat a homemade lunch because they deem it not up to the schools standards is ludicrous. If a lunch I make my child at home is good enough for her to eat while I am at home eating the same thing, then what business is it of the school to make her have a cafeteria lunch and send me home a bill for it.

I have seen what is being made under the new guidelines for healthier lunches and I would throw it out too. Most of it I would think has less nutritional value than what I send her to school with. The only thing that seems to be happening by forcing the schools to adopt the new healthy lunch programs in order to get government funding is to cause kids to go hungry as they won't eat and to create mass amounts of food waste.

Eating healthy is only going to happen at home, it is not something you are going to teach your children by allowing the schools to do it for you. A child who is forced to eat something he hates while at school that has a completely different eating style and habits at home is going to maintain his poor choices regardless of what the school is trying to force on them.
Mackie8363926

Pro

You have a point but they should have a say on what each child eats. If each child eats candy for lunch and that's all, that is a very poor choice made by parents of that child. If they are eating fruit with whole grain bread and peanut butter sandwiches, they are on the way to having a good, healthier life! You should agree with me! It is NOT right for people to have their kids eat sugar or candy for lunch when everyone else is eating healthy food!
Logical_One

Con

No, they should not have a say. Raising my child is my responsibility. There are already laws in place for child endangerment and malnutrition is one of them. The school system is there for teaching the basics needed to make it in life and prepare an individual for higher learning if they wish to continue their education (which they should). If a school wants to teach a health course which I do believe they do already; that is the place to teach proper nutritional values.

But to tell my child what they can eat for lunch, is none of their business. Should kids eat healthy? Sure they should. should a family teach proper healthy eating at home? sure they should. Is it the federal or states right to tell me how to feed my child? heck no.

I firmly believe it does not take a village to raise a child, it takes a family. While while the village, (school in this case) can suggest things all they want; it is ultimately a family's decision (or at least it should be), to make the determining factor on what their children eat. This needs to start at home with teaching your children proper values, not having the government overstep their boundaries.

And I should not agree with you. I should make up my own mind based on my life's experience and values as a part of a society made of free-willed free thinking individuals, which in this case indicates to me that we are losing ourselves as a free people by allowing the government to step further into our lives telling us how to live and how to raise our children.
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 2 years ago
FaustianJustice
Mackie8363926Logical_OneTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had a good premise, just didn't flesh it out enough. There are lots of ways to demonstrate a need, Con was able to more thoroughly establish and demonstrate why their position should be upheld.
Vote Placed by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
Mackie8363926Logical_OneTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think that Con shoot there argument in the food and made a good case for schools to do it because of endangerment and malnutrition laws; however, Pro made such a weak a short argument that Con made a more convincing argument over all. I counted one or two more small grammar mistakes with Con.