digitalphantom
PartamRuhem

Schools kill creativity

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

digitalphantom

Pro

The system of education is still operating like in industrial age, creating new generations of workers without their own point of view or without will to change anything. Schools automatically align subjects by order of importance, not concerning predispositions of students and the result is 5 math classes per week and 1 class of art or music. Over the time, this schedule is pressing individual affinities back, not leaving time to develop any skills which are not required for work in system.
PartamRuhem

Con

I thank the instigator. Good luck

Independent high schools
Independent high schools are offered in a variety of locations, giving students access to an independent learning style. The student is motivated by his or her own interests, not by the assignments of the teacher. This sparks creativity, for they must come up with new ways to challenge themselves. Also, the range of independent study courses is vast; students won't be learning only the subjects the school wants them to, as my opponent states, but a large variety of preferred topics. These classes can be taken online as well, giving the student a better atmosphere to learn in, creating more creativity. "Artists, dancers, athletes, and actors have all benefited from an independent study high school" (1) Not only can you enroll in an independent high school, but you can take independent courses in any high school. Being that this is a school type, and it offers creativity, I successfully negate the resolution.
digitalphantom

Pro

Thanks to PartamRuhem for agreeing to debate me on this topic.

For the start, I would like to tell one interesting story. During the class, while teacher was talking about lecture, one girl from the back of the class was drawing. When teacher asked her what she was drawing, she relied "God". Teacher was surprised and said "But nobody knows how God looks like". In some point of view, it is correct as nobody has ever seen him, but for the girls imagination, it was silly, so she replied "Then, they will now find out".

What I want to say is that, schools are limiting our imagination, and whatever do not fit in the previous shapes, is considered as wrong. There are numerous examples of geniuses being taken as fools just because their opinions were unknown before and people by theirs nature are afraid of unknown. Our system education is linear and focused not on developing variety of opinions but on standardization.

I've obviously made a mistake limiting argument to 1000 Characters.
PartamRuhem

Con

I would like to start by saying that my opponent has not refuted my contention at all, and it stands.
My opponent keeps arguing that the system is linear and has no way to create creativity, but these are merely his opinions. He has not shown a poll, source, or otherwise that would support his case, only what he thinks. Keep in mind that it is the burden of Pro's to show how schools kill creativity. His only claims are that since they force them to work from a curriculum, that it stifles the creativity. How? Just because someone is in a math class, doesn't mean it can't be creative. It's up to the teacher to implement ways to make it creative. I, and I am sure many of the reader's, have had teachers that make things much more fun to learn about through a much more creative medium; taking walks on a nice day and doing class outside is an example.

While my opponent has given nothing to base his opinions off of, I have given a point that schools extend creativity, which wasn't refuted.
digitalphantom

Pro

My opponent said "These classes can be taken online as well, giving the student a better atmosphere to learn in, creating more creativity." It is not a matter of place where are you creating, but how well your product is accepted. For example, as I mentioned in short story, creating something that doesn't exist and isn't approved by society is automatically declined.

Why we do not organize schools by the Gardner's theory of multiple intelligence? Do you really think that one system of education is enough for millions of students, which are all different as a persons, to show their full potential? The challenge is discovering how to create environments where creativity is generated with enthusiasm and purpose.

Creativity is its own reward. We can not measure it or give marks from 1 to 10 for it. Creativity isn't about upgrading thinks, or in our case knowledge but in showing some new approaches to the problems or new points of view which can help to overwhelm existing issues.
Thanks.
PartamRuhem

Con

Let the reader know that my opponent has not touched on my contention at all, leaving it standing. Thus, you should vote negative. It was Pro's burden to give examples of how schools kill creativity. All he states is that our system is monotonous, and throughout the whole debate gives no sources or proper refutations.

My opponents tries arguing in round 3 that one system of education isn't enough for millions of diverse students; this, however, is refuted by my independent high school contention. Each student enrolls in the plethora of classes that best suit their own creative needs. My opponent even says "...in showing some new approaches to the problems..." I have done this with independent high schools. These are schools located in high numbers across many countries, and they help creativity grow like it's a plant and they are miracle grow.

Since I, as Con, have shown schools that promote creativity without objection from Pro, I win this debate

Thank You. I urge a Con vote.
Posted by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
I feel like people only think that schools kill creativity because people feel stifled by legitimate courses like math and science. People need to realize that they can be as creative as they want when they graduate college and become adults.
Posted by debate250 6 years ago
debate250
It really depends on the school. I think it's hard to argue a general topic like this as some schools will be very good, but some will be terrible. In some learning environments students will be able to express creativity whereas in some environments they won't. I appreciate con's argument about Independent High Schools, but not every High School is an Independent High School. Therefore, I don't think that there is a definite one answer to this as every school is in a different situation.
Posted by debate250 6 years ago
debate250
Posted by PartamRuhem 6 years ago
PartamRuhem
http://articles.student.com...
That's the 1 source. Didn't realize that these were only 1000 char. rounds haha.
Posted by digitalphantom 6 years ago
digitalphantom
Changed. I'm new to all this so I'm obviously making some beginner mistakes.
Posted by PartamRuhem 6 years ago
PartamRuhem
I would have taken it, but three hours for every round is too short. I wouldn't have time to complete it. If you cancel this one and make a new one with longer round times, I would accept. Longer being like 2 days.
Posted by digitalphantom 6 years ago
digitalphantom
Public, but also system of education in general. We can't talk about private schools because they are to different.
Posted by Oldfrith 6 years ago
Oldfrith
Public schools or all private schools?
Posted by Oldfrith 6 years ago
Oldfrith
Public schools or all private schools?
Vote Placed by feverish 6 years ago
feverish
digitalphantomPartamRuhemTied
Reasons for voting decision: With the resolution presented as an absolute statement, Pro has clearly taken on a very heavy burden, which Con was well able to disprove with viable alternatives to all the problems Pro describes with the current school system.
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 6 years ago
1Historygenius
digitalphantomPartamRuhemTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con no doubt wins the debate and really Pro did not attack Con's point on independent schooling. I have the choice to pick at least one bonus class at my school which adds to my interests.
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
digitalphantomPartamRuhemTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: pro failed. Spelling: Pro had horrible spelling Arguments: Pro didnt address any arguments, at all. Sources: None.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 6 years ago
Man-is-good
digitalphantomPartamRuhemTied
Reasons for voting decision: digitalphantom quite amazing replied to only some of Con's points but ignored others. This proved fatal when his entire argument in the third round, "Do you really think that one system of education is enough for millions of students, which are all different as a persons, to show their full potential?" was rebutted by Con's point about independent high schools...and when he merely introduced a unverifiable ancedote that ignored Con's former argument...
Vote Placed by seraine 6 years ago
seraine
digitalphantomPartamRuhemTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ignores Con's points.
Vote Placed by darkkermit 6 years ago
darkkermit
digitalphantomPartamRuhemTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO had no argument.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 6 years ago
socialpinko
digitalphantomPartamRuhemTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to Con because Pro never even touched on his point of independent schooling and Con relied heavily on unsubstantiated anecdotes.