Seesa13
JimmyBoJangles

Schools should block YouTube

JimmyBoJangles

Seesa13

Con

Schools should not block YouTube from students for the following reasons. One, YouTube has educational videos about school subjects, news reports, and educational topics. Two, YouTube can be an entertainment outlet. If you are bored and want to watch so,etching but nothing's on, there are so many funny short skits and you can also buy a movie on YouTube. And finally my third point is you can't watch anything bad because if you actually want to like a video you have to sign in with your email and with your email it will also include your age, so it would ban you from watching inappropriate, and if it too bad they will ban the video completely . I don't understand why anyone would want YouTube blocked when it's educational, entertainment outlet, and has appropriate videos for all ages
JimmyBoJangles

Pro

Mike, the main reason that I think YouTube should be blocked is that kids can watch inappropriate content. You claim that age restricted content will stop kids completely. This is false because kids can easily create a fake email address with a fake age and YouTube can do nothing to stop them. Also, there are plenty of bad videos kids can watch that the YouTube community hasn't flagged as inappropriate yet. My son has strayed onto porn multiple times. Also, kids will abuse their free time during school with YouTube when they should be focusing on studying and it will become a distraction. Also, if YouTube is blocked, that won't stop educational videos from being shared. The school doesn't have to block the teacher's computers, so educational videos can still be shown in class. Teachers could also assign watching a YouTube video at home for homework.
Seesa13

Con

Seesa13 forfeited this round.
JimmyBoJangles

Pro

Since you have no argument, I will address the emplorer21. The idea of a school board monitoring WiFi activity is ludicrous. These are people who have actual jobs to get done, not watch the majority of students who are doing nothing bad online in order to catch the few who stray from what they are doing. High schools have an average of 750 students nowadays (1), and most urban ones have upwards of 1000, so it would be a very tedious task to weed out the few wrongdoers. Also, you can't expect high school students to stay by their word when they say that they won't watch porn or anything bad online while at school, for the very same reason you can't expect a high school student to say that they are 18 when watching community flagged videos on YouTube.

1 http://nces.ed.gov...
Seesa13

Con

Seesa13 forfeited this round.
JimmyBoJangles

Pro

I don't know what else to do.
Posted by Debate_King1475 2 years ago
Debate_King1475
Thank you emperor1 for enlightening Jim
Posted by JimmyBoJangles 2 years ago
JimmyBoJangles
My bad, emporer1.
Posted by emporer1 2 years ago
emporer1
As a member of my high school Student Council I have adressed this issue before. My school has it set up so that you tube is accessible to everyone. However we only give our regular students access to the student WiFi. Student WiFi is monitored by the school board and students are forced to agree to terms including not accessing pornography before accessing. If a student is caught doing so the board calls the principal and consequences follow. Perhaps schools should try his system instead of ruling out youtube compleatly.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 2 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Seesa13JimmyBoJanglesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins on the inappropriateness argument. Con forfeits losing conduct.