WinTheDebate
twsurber

Schools should have EXTREME-Strict Dress Codes

WinTheDebate

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance and to state your first 2 arguments about schools having strict dress codes.
Round 2 is to argue about your opponents 3 arguments
Round 3 is for choosing 2 NEW arguments about the topic
Round 4 is for arguing about your opponents 2 NEW arguments

My argument:

1) As dress code is already enforced in most schools, dress code is not taken seriously. Kids are wearing long pants in the summer, making them sweat more, and in some cases, dehydration. If schools have seasonal dress codes, dehydration in the summer or getting a cold in the winter won't be that common.

2) Most dress codes do not support shoes with broken shoelaces. This is extremely dangerous, as you can trip because of someone stepping on your shoelaces. When this happens, whether on grass, carpet, concrete, and rubber, all 4 surfaces have their consequences. Grass, dirty clothes. Carpet, carpet burn. Concrete, cut or head injury. Rubber, scratch with a chance of the scratch getting infected.
twsurber

Con

I negate the resolution as stated: Schools should have extreme-strict dress codes.

C-1: There are places in the world where school dress codes would be detrimental to due to the hardship that extreme socio-economic poverty would place on certain families. Such families that may otherwise be able to send their children to school would be penalized and marginalized for not being able to meet a strict dress code. Denying a child of education would further exacerbate their socio-economic condition and work to keep them in such a status perennially.

C-2: The type of clothing worn has only a minimal effect on the actual cognitive effect of learning. Elaborate or risqu" styles of attire does not cause significant distraction to education.
WinTheDebate

Pro

My argument against your statements:
C-1: Yes, this is true, BUT as in strict dress code, that means no baggy pants that are 5 years old and are dirty and have holes in them. It is possible for schools to have 1 uniform to wear for maybe 2 or 3 years. Most people can afford that. Some really poor schools could do that for free. Also most "Dress Code Rules" only have a visit to the principals office for a violation, which isn't as bad as a detention or fine.

C-2: Clothing does have an effect on education, as old,dirty clothes or have distracting symbols on them which take away student interest in what the teacher is teaching and more attention on the child that is wearing the distractive clothing. As I have been in 6 schools in my education, most children that have distractive symbols or their clothing often draw attention away from the teacher. Also, when kids are distracted they don't pay attention. This can affect student grades.
twsurber

Con

My opponent has not defined the term extreme-strict dress code. My opponent has not defined schools. I will take these as drops and post my own definitions.

My opponent made a contradictory statement in that dress codes are enforced, but not taken seriously.

My opponent is mistakenly attributing hot and cold weather injuries exclusively to improper clothing choices.

I appreciate my opponent's concern for student's hygiene and supervised seasonal comfort, yet I will delay expounding on these items til my new information round.

I humorously appreciate my opponent's attention to the potential catastrophes associated with broken or untied shoe laces. I will concede and stipulate this point prima facie.

Per guidance I will post new information in the next round.
.
WinTheDebate

Pro

WinTheDebate forfeited this round.
twsurber

Con

twsurber forfeited this round.
WinTheDebate

Pro

WinTheDebate forfeited this round.
twsurber

Con

twsurber forfeited this round.