Archibald
Lushiro

Science can coexist with religion

Archibald

Con

On the surface, your post looked reasonable. And there lies the trap. You casually use the words "religion, spirituality, and theology" as though they are interchangeable. Lets take things one at a time:
"Science tries to find physical truth, religion tries to find spiritual truth." Wrong. Religion does not try to find anything. It assumes that all knowledge is contained within itself. Followers of religion may try to find spiritual truth within their religion, but not outside of it.
"God doesn't want you to be religious". I actually agree with your sentiments here, but question how you came by this little gem of wisdom. Personally, I think religion should stop making claims about God. Religion and God are not the same. One can believe in God and science, but not religion and science. One can also believe in science but not God.
"Atheism requires an abandonment of science.....". Wrong. Atheism is a belief in the lack of any God or Gods. No more than that. I guess it presumes a lack of belief in most religion as well. Atheism and science have nothing to do with one another.
"Science and theology are of the same....". Wrong again, except in the sense that theology is one small branch of science. Theology is the study of religion. It is not itself religious. An atheist theologian is not a contradiction. One can study religion without believing in the religion itself or in God.
Yes religion is man made, in his feeble attempts to explain things. I doubt that many scientists are religious, but I am certain that many believe in God, and I suspect this is what you really mean.
Scientific method must and always will be directly opposed to faith (religious or any other kind). It's the nature of the beast. Faith says "believe this" and science says "no". Not without evidence. Not without testing. The whole concept of faith is anathema to science, even if what faith is saying is correct. Postulates, assumptions, theory and hypotheses require no faith. They are tools of the scientific method. They are not edicts, they are always open to modification as new facts become available. Faith is dogma. As it is now so shall it always be.
Do not be so egotistical and rude as to make statements that people who are the most clever happen to agree with you. Without any evidence to support it, you look like you're grasping at straws.
Without going to great lengths, your last sentence totally contradicts itself, but probably more important, it shows how confused you really are. Faith is faith. Science is science. Apples is not oranges.
In point of fact, I agree with most of your sentiments (but not all), but your logic is flawed and you confuse many things.
As for me, I am a scientist to the core. I believe strongly in God and I hate all religions equally. Maybe you are on the right track. Just dump the religion bit.
Lushiro

Pro

Hello Archibald thank you for addressing my post as you covered many basis' that I could have looked into better, yes I did casually used terminologies like religion which is a fault on my own and I apologize for that. Thank you once again, humbly for correcting my statements and inaccuracies, as for your post about having resentment for Religion. I do not blame you for that for religion has become a corrupt organization of greed and power the same as all ideologies and politics, even science due to the weaponry capabilities of technology's growth through vast and extensive discoveries. I am glad you believe in God as a scientist (such as Einstein, Issac Newton, Nicholas Copernicus, Georges Lemaitre, etc. ) many do harbor some kind of faith that transcends human logic as our metaphysical universe and physical world are very complex and sophisticated in nature. It's very fascinating to have a faith in something higher than yourself, it truly humbles you and allows your mind to wonder with constant awe and reverence, brings you back down to earth no pun intended lol. Science won't ever have all the answers because the more we discover, the more we realize how small our knowledge truly is from the spectrum of the bigger focal.

Instead of 'religion' I rather substitute that arbitrary word for faith instead for we all live by a type of faith (Hebrews 11:1 and Hebrews 11:1). I am not sure about your exact beliefs in God but in the Bible it states in the scriptures of (James 1:27 that: Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.) From this verse we can evidently see what religion should be about and how it's followers should perform and behave and adopt to their faith. Some religions utilize the benefits of charities, disaster response organizations and maintaining the well-being of the less fortunate which is good to see, but one thing is for certain religion itself is not to blame for any tragedies or violence, the followers are accountable for their actions and will suffer the consequences for their evil deeds, along with the tarnish of their religion's representations, standards and reputation because the followers are the banner for what the religion should stand for. There are some who do what is right and those who do what is wrong, we have this truth for all creeds, beliefs, background upbringings, and etcetera.

But anyway...as for Atheism unfortunately some try to use science as a method to disprove God which is impossible, hence why you are a believer in the first place, you recognized the ultimate truth as have others. Disbelief in God leads to ignorance toward open-mindedness of God and science's relationship. Doesn't it take faith to believe in God in the first place?

I agree with most of your posts though. Thank you very much for the corrections and 'rebukes' I appreciate them as I can learn from them.
Archibald

Con

Archibald forfeited this round.
Lushiro

Pro

Lushiro forfeited this round.
Archibald

Con

Archibald forfeited this round.
Lushiro

Pro

Lushiro forfeited this round.