JordanCJKM
gryephon

Science is the best explanation of us and God isn't

gryephon

JordanCJKM

Pro

As an atheist, and with the people that do not believe in God, we think that science to any extent is the best explanation of what we came from, how we grow and what we should or should not do. Science brings us the best, natural information by what is given from nature. Science respects the laws of nature therefore obeys the laws of nature. We do make up theories like any other religions.

For every religions out there, God is defined as the ruler of the universe and source of all moral authorities OR a superhuman or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes. Without ANY prove of God's existence, we atheists do not believe that God anyhow should be ONE of the explanations of us.

Science is developed for us to know how we should live a better and healthier life by the empirical evidence that people in the past have overcome. And therefore we learn from these lessons or "mistakes" and live a better life. That is why, as a conclusion, Science is the BEST and ONLY explanation of how we came, how we should live and how to live a better and healthier life.

That's my perspective and how I see science. Thank you for reading.
gryephon

Con

You are correct that there is no proof of God’s existence, but then again, there is no proof that we exist either (you can’t prove this is not a dream). While I cannot prove the existence of God, I can point out that God’s divine attributes as being maker of heaven and earth is clearly seen in nature, making it rational to believe in the existence of God.

I do find that there is some problems with your case, I’ll list them. (I’ll ask questions too)

1. Science is an explanation

No, science is not an explanation. It’s more of a subject of study with a bunch of different scientist that have their explanations\models of the universe. And the explanations don’t even have to be right, some older models in say astronomy were geocentric. If science can be wrong, it is certainly not greater than the belief in God.

2. God cannot be scientific.

I’m not an atheist, nor did I come from an atheist culture. With me I don’t have any views with science and God being incompatible. I believe in creationism, from my point of view, God and science are one.

3. Science is the BEST and ONLY explanation of how… to live a better and healthier life.

Better life? I can list you things from religion that can make your life better that science does not teach. I know not of any science that teaches you

• Why adultery is stupid.
    • To honor your father and mother.
    • Quit cussing.
    • To control your lusts.
    • Love God

I know not of how disbelieving in God will make your life any better than one who believes.

4. What science do you speak of?

In the first paragraph you were speaking of is natural science, sciences that rely on natural information and philosophy. Yet you list these kinds of science to making your life better, and healthier. I know not of any natural science that does this. Believing that you evolved from a rock isn’t going to make your life better, or healthier.

Let me explain it from medical science, when someone comes into the hospital with a bullet in his chest the doctors don’t really sit down and have a peer reviewed discussion about how the natural processes uniformly formed a bullet in his chest over millions of years, They probably think that it came from a gun. Most sciences makes little to no use of naturalism. There’s business science, computer science, formal science, social sciences, etc.

5. What explanation of science do you speak of?

When you say “Science is the best explanation”. Seriously, what scientific explanation is better than God?

JordanCJKM

Pro

JordanCJKM forfeited this round.
gryephon

Con

Opponent has forfeited.
JordanCJKM

Pro

JordanCJKM forfeited this round.
gryephon

Con

Opponent has forfeited again. I will assume that there i s no more debate here.
JordanCJKM

Pro

JordanCJKM forfeited this round.
gryephon

Con

Debate is over.
JordanCJKM

Pro

Although Science might not be firm enough to prove their theory of the start of the universe right, but their duty is to discover the mysteries of the world with the evidence around. And of course, science CANNOT be a god to theists. Would you say you don't believe what science has proven so far? Science is not making things up like how any other religions around the globe. Science proves what is right and what is wrong with common sense and by the evidence given by the laws of nature.

I meant science overall. I thought it was obvious enough for a person to understand, but turns out its not. So in case you were wondering, science IN GENERAL no matter what subjects of science you can possibly think of. By the ways of how science brings out new discoveries with legitimate proof.

Please vote for me if you believe that science can prove what is right and what is wrong; vote for me if you accept how science has brought us where we are today without God's help.

gryephon

Con

I figured this debate was over after the 3 forfeits. I’m not going to debate anymore.

Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Science has done far more to both explain the world around us and help us improve our condition than millennia of religion. Religion stands in the way of humanity's progress.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
@Tommy,

No one is suggesting science has all of the answers. Some simply suggest that there doesn't seem to be any more useful/plausible/logical answers outside of science.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
You have two debate topics in your title.
Posted by Philocat 2 years ago
Philocat
Yet another false dichotomy >.>
Posted by Philocat 2 years ago
Philocat
Yet another false dichotomy >.>
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
Science is like walking on a beach, picking up pebbles and recognising the differences between, whilst a vast ocean of knowledge lies before us. Science says "give me one miracle, and I will explain everything that comes after. Only that miracle is the creation of everything in the universe, and all the laws that govern the universe".

We still have only travelled about 1% into our earths crust, we cannot see outside the known universe, we don't even know how atoms fully work and they make up everything, and we don't understand how the brain or genes actually work.

Don't be over confident, this life is still a mystery.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
JordanCJKMgryephonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff