Sakushi
TheUnexaminedLife

Science leaves no room for free will.

Sakushi has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Sakushi

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge. I will be arguing for the Con, in this debate. I do not think that science leaves no room for free will.

To begin I will clarify a few definitions. I propose the use of the Webster definitions of the terms.

Free Will: "voluntary choice or decision "
Science: "a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study the science of theology"

Round 1 will be acceptance and clarification of definitions: Round 2 will be the main arguments, the final round will be closing statements.
TheUnexaminedLife

Pro

I have no choice but to argue that the scientific arguments for determinism are very hard to circumvent, are quite convincing, and therefore make it unlikely that we have 'voluntary' free will as defined.

I would like to clarify the definition of science as referring to the collation of data and (perhaps) knowledge under the scientific method, rather than just one singular department within science.
Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 1 year ago
TheUnexaminedLife
@Furyan5, I completely agree. I was arguing pro-determinism: our knowledge, as much as everything else, creates our identity.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
@theunexaminedlife you make an excellent point. If you know the X makes you do Y then you can consciously make yourself not do Y. But you missing one point. You have to learn that X makes you do Y. Whatever taught you that lesson is influencing your decision. So your choice is still not free as it's dependent on you learning that X makes you do Y.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Yes why not just boom / destroy my "logic". Its very ,very simple.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
Boom.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
Boom.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
It makes no difference. if your last comment was determined or not.

So it makes no difference to a person and the feeling of "voluntary choise or decision".
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
I like how you're not explaining anything. You're just repeating a claim over and over.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis

Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 1 year ago
TheUnexaminedLife
Well it does: if I know that I'm enslaved by my causes, I can liberate myself from them. I know that X makes me do Y, this knowledge determines my new course of behaviour: to analyse and embrace/resist X.
If you know that chocolate makes you fat, it influences your involuntary decision to or not to eat it.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Yes. It makes no difference at all.