stopyellingatme
Land_Sharkz

Science should play a bigger role in society than religion or personal beliefs.

stopyellingatme

Pro

Science is proven, large quantities of well educated people have put great efforts into proving certain things over and over again. If science proves something a person should not be able to refute it just because it goes against their religious beliefs or it doesn't seem right to them.
Land_Sharkz

Con

I believe that Religion and beliefs matter just as much (if not then more) than science. Science is a concept humans have created millions of years and years ago. Religion however, was created before humans even though about science and the revolution of things now. A person cannot believe in science if they do not have beliefs, or then technically they are not "believing" in today's science. Therefore, I believe beliefs and religions matter, or if there was no such thing as this, there might be no science.
stopyellingatme

Pro

Religion, however, is purely based off of belief. Science has helped society advance in a countless array of ways including fascinating feats of architecture, people walking on the moon, and diseases that once infected millions being almost completely eradicated. Religion, though should be perfectly legal to practice and shall not be infringed upon, should not decide how people, especially those who do not follow that religion, live their lives. Science in universal, religion, in a broad sense, is so diverse that within a religious decision there will be numerous people fighting over which religion should be considered the best one to use.
Land_Sharkz

Con

First of all, today's world, science has completely taken over. The entire world is based off of science, from organisms as small as a flea to the exploration of the moon. I agree with you that science should be considered the best one to use, but I disagree with you when you have said that religion should not be a excuse to break the law. For example, I agree with you if your referring to ISIS, because I too believe that what ISIS is doing is completely wrong. But, I am a Christian, maybe a different kind of Christian from a lot of you either judging this debate, or "Stopyellingatme" yourself. For example, I believe that women should not wear skirts and paint their face with makeup and that sort. I am not using this to offend anyone, but hey, everyone has their personal beliefs. I believe that if someone came up to my mom (I don't have a wife yet, I am still in high school) and told her that she has to wear pants and she has to soak her face in makeup and she has to wear earrings, I will not be happy, for we believe that women should not do that, and that doesn't affect you at all. I believe no one has the authority to tell us what to do, unless it is something that affects others. Therefore, I believe that if the action doesn't affect anyone, then no one should tell someone in what to believe in (in my opinion).
stopyellingatme

Pro

Yes, if one's actions harm no one then that action should be allowed. The problem is that different religions have different ideas that clash and what people should and should not be allowed to do. You believe that women should not wear short skirts and makeup, many people, predominantly women, will disagree with you. The thing is they have the right to choose. Your mother can wear jeans and no makeup and some other girl can wear short skirts and makeup, neither style will hurt anyone. Science affects us all, we all are influenced by gravity, we all breath air, and we all have complex chemical reactions going on in our body. We all live on this planet in this solar system in this universe. Religion, however, does not affect everyone. Not everyone believes it, and, like I've said before, religion is based on belief whereas science is based on fact.
Land_Sharkz

Con

Yes, but that is the beauty of religion, not everyone follows it! Since everyone has their own ideas, we are able to have fun debates like this and what not. Honestly, I believe every single person on this earth today believes in science. Science is a concept, just like gravity. You could not believe in gravity, but whatever you think, gravity will always be there. Science is real. Religion however, are people's ideas, not everyone has to follow it. If everyone has their own ideas, they are able to live happy and content because now they are able to do what they want to for themselves. If everyone followed the same religion, that would be scary, that is why there are many different religions. It would be scary because everyone would be the exact same, making everyone not unique, which is what makes this world beautiful, the differences of everyone and their ideas. Whatever anyone thinks, if they think science isn't real, then they are wrong, and I completely agree with you on that fact. But, I do not agree where you said people will disagree. Of course people will disagree...but not everyone has to follow it, only the people who believe in this religion. Well played "stopyellingatme"! Good luck!