Science Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Mid-century cooling was primarily anthropogenic

Stupidape

One of my first global climate change debates my opponent brought up the mid-century cooling trend. Stating that a lot of oil was burned during that time period and that since there was cooling in that time period fossil fuels don't generate Co2. The time period was 1945-1975.I knew there was something wrong with the logic, but I couldn't tell what. Anyways, here's the answer. Sulfur emissions

Challenge Period
2 Comments
Updated 14 Hours Ago

Evolution and science is an oxymoron

Thiest_1998
SploonTube

Hi I'm Thiest and I believe that evolution and science is an oymoron because science by definition is a study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. and since evolution does none of those things I challenge anyone to prove me wrong. By evolution I am talking about: Cosmic evolution: the origin of time, space, and matter from nothing in the "big bang" Chemical evolution: all elements "evolved" from hydrogen Stellar evolution: star...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 15 Hours Ago

right=morality

vi_spex
epicray1

any right actions is moral...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

We are in the middle of a mass extinction.

Stupidape
harrytruman

Looks like climate change is well under way. I wonder if humans will react in time. 0. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/07/24/mass-extinction-study/13096445/...

Debating Period
9 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Manmade global climate change is real and is a threat.

Stupidape

OutlineI. IntroII. CorrelationIII. Confounding factorsIV. Reverse causalityV. Likely a threatVI. Man made VII. ConclusionVIII. SourcesI. Intro Brief intro, I created this debate before, and expected an easy win. I was completely blind sided by my opponent's arguments and it was too late in the debate to recover. Basicall...

Challenge Period
7 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

The best method to determine whether or not man made climate change is true is reduction of Co2.

Stupidape

Full topic: The best method to determine whether or not man made climate change is true or false is to dramatically reduce man made levels of Co2.We need to take drastic measures to reduce man made Co2 levels ASAP. I've become convinced of this due to the climate change deniers. Simply, put the climate change deniers are correct, there is not enough evidence. Therefore, we need to accumulate more evidence via experimentation. Thus far all we ha...

Challenge Period
55 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Human cloning should not be banned

fabvanshita
Gwendelphine

The creation of genetically identical copies of human, given the term Human Cloning, is generally used to refer to the reproduction of human cells and tissues artificially. It is a possibility that seems more viable now than it had been a few years ago. It has the potential to save lives and make a better quality of living for our future generations. Practiced on livestock for a while now, the process of human cloning has seen incredible results. The techniques have been proven to work and w...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago

The short term warming on Mars is caused by dust storms.

Stupidape

Some climate change deniers use the fact that Mars is warming lately and jump to the conclusion that this fact is somehow related to Global climate change on Earth. Yet, it seems Mars is warming up due to dust storms. [0][1] Thanks for reading. Sources 0. http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-on-mars-intermediate.htm 1. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070404-mars-warming.html...

Challenge Period
7 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago

Global warming has occured between Sept 1996 and Feb 2014.

Stupidape

Brief intro, I've been arguing with climate change deniers who bring up so many points in the same debate that I become overwhelmed. Yet, taken individually I think they can be beaten easily. I think global warming has happened between Sept 1996 and Feb 2014. Though some of the climate change denier state otherwise. I have strong evidence to prove so. First, lets example the myth. [0]As you can see from the graph it clearly shows no warm...

Challenge Period
8 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago

The Earth is Young

creationtruth
ThinkBig

Affirmative Position (Pro): The Earth is less than 10,000 years old.Negative Position (Con): The Earth is greater than 4,000,000,000 years old.Debate Rules:Round 1 - AcceptanceRound 2 - Opening Arguments (No Rebuttals)Round 3 - Rebuttals (No Defense of Arguments)Round 4 - Defense of Arguments (No New Arguments)Round 5 - Final Rebuttals...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 5 Hours Ago