Science Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Should atheists actively seek to convince the religious populace?

StopSquark
Ozzyhead

As an agnostic atheist, I admit that I often find it very tempting to argue against religious beliefs beyond merely expressing my own confidence in our scientific understanding of the universe. However, I believe that such endeavors would be often fruitless, sometimes counterproductive, and ultimately unnecessary. If a person truly had faith in what he or she believes, no argument or evidence I provide would be sufficient. If not, then in this day and age they should encounter enough scientif...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

American cities should hold a St. George's Day parade every 23rd April.

brian_eggleston

Happy St. George's Day folks! (For those of you who might have forgotten, today, the 23rd April is, of course, the day dedicated to St. George, the patron saint of England). However, while I have noticed that while St Patrick's Day is widely celebrated by Irish-Americans in the United States, English-Americans seem to practically ignore their ethnic heritage and fail to mount any parades to honour their patron saint. This is a real shame because St. George's Day parades would be fantastic!...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 14 Hours Ago

Astrology is Logical and Scientific.

Sam-sinha
Tvirus

I do not believe in Astrology. I consider it a pseudo-science. I invite my opponent to say in favour of Astrology : Why he/she thinks that Astrology is scientific, how it is scientifically done and how we can validate the claims of astrological methods of making prophecies.If I can, I will debunk them. Otherwise, I will throw up the sponge....

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 8 Hours Ago

The Ancient Astronaut 'Theory' Has Tangible Evidence

Sam-sinha
Tvirus

I invite my opponent to come forward if he/she supports the proposition. Well, I am against the so-called 'theory' and I consider it as fringe-science. But I want to hear my opponent's arguments and try to debunk it(if it seems wrong to me). If I agree with the opponent, I will confess that. In the first round, I will not make any comment about the 'theory'. I invite my opponent to show his/her logic in the 1st round. Thank you. &nb...

Voting Period
3 Comments
Updated 12 Hours Ago

Is temperature from concentrated light rays limited by their frequency?

pashute

There is an argument on halfbakery.com Second Law of Thermodynamics Temporal Violatorhttp://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Second_20Law_20of_20Thermodynamics_20Temporal_20Violator#1378325321 about the reason for a temperature limit from sunrays.The argument is between WcW who advocates the view that: temperature from concentrated light rays is limited by the rays' frequency and that o...

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 21 Hours Ago

The Big Bang theory is true and accurate

chewster911

Now, i want to have a rational debate about the Big Bang theory. I will argue that the Big Bang happened nearly 14 billion years ago. I don't want an argument about deities that supposedly created the universe or other irrelevant arguments to the topic. I want this to be a science debate. Burden of proof is shared,but it will mostly be on me. 1st round is acceptance 2nd round will be for opening statements and arguments 3rd round will be for rebuttals and cross-examinations 4th round will...

Challenge Period
45 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

canada

jo_shan
TMRarmy

it isnt real...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Earth is indeed 4.5 billion years old, not 6000 years old.

CoolPeppers12
accumulationofam

The age of Earth is around 4.5 billions years old. However, many people think Earth is not simply because of what Genesis says. Genesis doesn't give EXACT dates as to how old Earth is. It just says that Earth was created in 7 days and other stuff too. When it says 7 days, it doesn't mean specifically 7 days of a duration of 24 hours of one day. It says nowhere about that. Scientists have also proven Earths estimated age by carbon dating and radiometric dating. Earth is not 6000 years old...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 8 Hours Ago

Is the Big Bang Theory Possible?

TheMaster_Debator
Elijahhill97

The Big Bang theory is not possible. Here is how the Big Bang is often presented: Somewhere between 18 and 20 billion years ago, all of the matter in the universe was compressed into a tiny space no larger than the dot on a page. This dot spun faster and faster until it exploded, thus creating the Universe and everything in it. That's right, apparently all the matter was condensed into something the size of a crumb, which exploded and created our whole universe. The Sun, Moon, planet...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 12 Hours Ago

Most of the Human Genome is useless junk

joepalcsak
Mhykiel

First round is acceptance only. No new arguments in the final round...

Debating Period
11 Comments
Updated 13 Hours Ago