Zealotical
Deku

Scientist & Teachers should get paid more while sports players should get paid less

Zealotical

Pro

Before I start I just want to make it clear that I'm for Scientist and Teachers getting paid more and sports players getting paid less. Please vote on the better argument instead of basing weather you agree with me or my opponent. Here is my opening statement:

I believe that science and education are more important than throwing a ball around. Money isn't everything however, it makes a HUGE difference. If scientist and teachers got paid more, this would encourage more people to be well educated and the world would be better off.
Deku

Con

Interesting topic, thanks for posting.

It is my position that the wages of sports stars are entirely appropriate given the revenue they bring in.
For example, let us say an athlete can be reasonably expected to generate 50 million dollars in additional revenue for a sports team over 5 years- but we think 4 million dollars a year is too much to pay them? Why? Most sports contracts more then pay for themselves because the teams generate hundreds of millions in income.

Many teachers are paid quite well at private schools and tutoring and such- why? Because these institutions pay to get the BEST teachers. Your average teacher is not compensated quite so well because, compared to other professions, teaching doesn't exactly require a great deal of skill. There are skilled teachers of course- and often times they use that skill go to secure more lucrative positions. Of course teachers are essential- but that's not how we decide who gets paid what. If we did, farmers would be paid what we pay lawyers and vice versa. But then everyone would want to be a farmer and nobody would want to be a lawyer- and our society has already decided how many lawyers and farmers it wants by providing the the appropriate incentives to each position.
Scientist is too broad a term- those who do research for governments or corporations are generally quite well compensated.
Zealotical

Pro

Zealotical forfeited this round.
Deku

Con

Well that's no fun
:(
Zealotical

Pro

Zealotical forfeited this round.
Deku

Con

Welll......
Zealotical

Pro

Zealotical forfeited this round.
Deku

Con

Deku forfeited this round.
Posted by Zealotical 6 years ago
Zealotical
You seem to be a worthy opponent, maybe you should debate against me...
Posted by studentathletechristian8 6 years ago
studentathletechristian8
*Should* is too subjective. The field of athletic entertainment generates much more income as a whole than do education and academics. Thus, it makes sense for athletes to be paid a bit more than teachers. Of course, I also think that teachers should be paid more, but where is this money coming from? More taxes? Good luck trying to get people to do that. The purchase of sports merchandise and the like is under a person's free choice of consumerism. With gambling, friendly betting, and hometown competition, the realm of sports is continually increasing in profits, while funding for academics remains relatively dormant.