Chelicerae
logicalrobot

Scorpions have qualities that justify them being pets

Chelicerae

Pro

The first round is for acceptance.
logicalrobot

Con

Wow, three debates on the same topic, I guess I will try to make this one interesting. Since you did not bother to define terms, I will do so

Pet: an animal that is kept for noneconomic reasons, such as companionship or attractiveness
Qualities: an inherent or distinguishing characteristic

You must argue that it is their qualities that justify them as pets while I merely have to negate these arguments or provide counter-arguments since you hold the BOP.
Chelicerae

Pro

=Note before debte=

I will be making both negative and positive arguments in favor of the resolution. The negative arguments are refutations of things somebody might say to argue against the resolution. The positive arguments are my own arguments to support the resolution.

=Scorpions and lethality=

The number of scorpion species on the planet is estimated to be around 1,752, and they are found in all continents except for Antarctica. The number of scorpion species that are able to to deliver lethal stings to humans is estimated to be 25. This means that only 1.42% of scorpion species are capable of killing a human being. Since the number of lethal scorpion species is so low, it can be known that 99% of scorpions aren't lethal.[1]

Between 1991 and 2001, only .26% of animal related fatalities were attributed to scorpions. Scorpions were beat by hornets, bees wasps, spiders, and even dogs. The number of fatalities related to scorpions is extremely lower, even lower than dogs, so it's proven that scorpions pose little threat to somebodies life [2]

There were fifteen deaths related to dogs in 2011. Only 4 deaths in 11 years have occurred as a result of scorpion stings. The number of people killed by scorpions is so low, it's about one person every three years. [3]

*The vast majority of scorpions are not lethal and scorpions rarely kill anybody.

[1] http://tinyurl.com...
[2] http://tinyurl.com...
[3] http://tinyurl.com...

=Scorpion stings are generally harmless=

According to Mayo Clinic, scorpion stings are painful, but are mostly harmless. Mayo Clinic also states that scorpion stings mostly don't need medical treatment. We can conclude from this that scorpion stings are generally harmless to a human, and their stings are usually of little consequence to health of the victim. [1][2]

Furthermore, I would like to stress that the unlikelihood of being stung by your pet scorpion. If it gets out and stings someone, it is because you did not secure its terrarium well enough, allowing it to escape. If you or a family members gets stung by a pet scorpion, it was likely the fault of one of its human caretakers. A well-kept pet scorpion could not escape in the first place.

*In general, scorpion stings are harmless, and do not require hospital. If a scorpion escapes and stings somebody, it is the fault of the pet owner, not an intrinsic part of having a scorpion.

[1] http://tinyurl.com...
[2] http://tinyurl.com...

=Scorpions and other pets=

Can a scorpion kill a pet? Well, it depends on the circumstances. In most cases, your scorpion would probably die if it escaped from its terrarium, as they have very sensitive exoskeletons and wouldn't survive the drop. However, if they did manage to escape and live, I feel that a house-pet such as a cat or a dog would be able to kill them. Cats and dogs in places like Arizona, where scorpions are considered pests, have been known to kill scorpions. If your scorpion did manage to kill another pet, who's fault was it for not securing its cage enough? That responsibility lies with the pet owner. Pets being stung is almost always a result of bad owners, and is not an intrinsic part of keeping a scorpion.

*If your scorpion stings a pet, you should have secured its terrarium better in the first place.

=Scorpions are easy to take care of=

Scorpions are very easy to keep. After you have set up the terrarium for it, it's not a challenge to keep it well-fed and happy. All a scorpion needs is a ten gallon tank (minimum) and a hiding spot to hide under.[1] Scorpions do not require food that often. Most scorpions only need to be fed 1-2 times a week and 1-2 proper sized crickets each feeding.[2] A bag of crickets will cost $18.69 for 250 crickets.[3] Taking into consideration the fact that scorpions won't eat before and after molting, you will feed them rarely.

Even if you forgot to feed your scorpion, some scorpions can survive without eating any food for a year.[4]Even the most irresponsible pet owner would be able to take care of one just fine.

*Scorpions rarely eat and can go a long time without doing so.

[1] http://tinyurl.com...
[2] http://tinyurl.com...
[3] http://tinyurl.com...
[4] http://tinyurl.com...

=What you can do with a scorpion=

What can you do with scorpions? Well, a lot of interesting things actually. Firstly, it's always interesting to feed a scorpion. You drop their prey in, usually a cricket or a cockroach, and you get to watch the scorpion hunt down its food like it would in the wild. It's like watching a nature documentary in real life. Secondly,

it's an interesting topic you can bring up to people you meet. Not that many people have scorpions, so it's a good way of sparking somebodies interest in having a conversation with you. Thirdly, scorpions are good climbers and burrowers, and watching what they do while in their terrarium can get interesting. Fourthly, if you really wanted to play with your scorpion, you probably could. Handling it is not impossible at all, and gloves can be worn if you are concerned about your personal safety.

*You can do many things with a pet scorpion.

=Conclusion=

I have proved using sources and factual information that scorpions have good qualities, and perceived negative qualities do not stand up to factual information.
logicalrobot

Con

It appears my opponent's account is inactive. As such, I ask that this debate be a tie. If my opponent comes back, I will refute his points and continue the debate. But as of now, I have other debate commitments and debating an inactive member is a waste of time, so I will not post in this round. Again, I ask that no one vote (Or vote to make a tie) since my opponent's account is no longer active.
Chelicerae

Pro

I'm back, but I'd like to tie this debate.
logicalrobot

Con

Certainly. I have too many debates right now anyway. Perhaps sometime in the near future we can discuss this again.
Chelicerae

Pro

Indeed. Please tie the debate.
logicalrobot

Con

Tie it, or be damned
Chelicerae

Pro

Tie it, or be damned to an eternal pit of scorpions.
logicalrobot

Con

Tie it now.
Posted by Chelicerae 5 years ago
Chelicerae
I thought I clicked science. Oh well..
Posted by logicalrobot 5 years ago
logicalrobot
why is the category for this debate religion?
Posted by logicalrobot 5 years ago
logicalrobot
Since the morality of pet keeping will form the basis of my counter argument, than technically yes
Posted by Chelicerae 5 years ago
Chelicerae
I understand how the debate works. I am asking if we're going to debate both my arguments and the morality of pet keeping at the same time.
Posted by logicalrobot 5 years ago
logicalrobot
As Pro when you are affirming a resolution, as I understand it, you solely hold the BOP. It can be fulfilled by stating positive arguments for the resolution. As con, to win, I must either refute your positive arguments and/or state counter-arguments. I will be doing both. So to win, you must address both my points and rebuttals while affirming your positive case (which you have already laid out). Then, the judges will decide who is right. You can choose to not respond to some of my arguments, but that would likely lead to a loss. It is more work on your part, but that is due to the nature of the resolution.
Posted by Chelicerae 5 years ago
Chelicerae
So we're going to do both?
Posted by logicalrobot 5 years ago
logicalrobot
How is this then, I will argue specific points to scorpions that do not satisfy the criteria for a pet that I have listed in addition to my general argument against pet keeping. To win, you will have to refute both.
Posted by Chelicerae 5 years ago
Chelicerae
Most likely yes. I do request that your arguments are scorpion specific though, not just a general statement on pet keeping., Mostly for your sake, because most arguments against pet keeping probably won't apply to scorpions.
Posted by logicalrobot 5 years ago
logicalrobot
While to your point it might be, you have already argued the same point, so forcing you to argue a different one would be a superior learning experience for both of us, would it not?
Posted by Chelicerae 5 years ago
Chelicerae
I feel it's extremely irrelevant to the purpose of the debate, but I guess I can't stop you if you wanted to.
Vote Placed by AznWords 5 years ago
AznWords
CheliceraelogicalrobotTied
Reasons for voting decision: Asked for a tie. I vote for the fun of it now! someone else can fix troll votes.
Vote Placed by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
CheliceraelogicalrobotTied
Reasons for voting decision: As requested
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
CheliceraelogicalrobotTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wow, Pro provided a well thought out case in R2. While I did think there were potential holes in it (it would take some research to find out if those holes would be problems or not), it did present a very good start and I was looking forward to the debate. I hope that these two members can do this debate again sometime when they have more time. Anyway, keeping it a tie, as requested by both members.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
CheliceraelogicalrobotTied
Reasons for voting decision: They wanted a tie, so okay. But golly gosh, find a new topic.