Adam2
debatefox

Scotland should be tried for colonial crimes against humanity

Adam2

Adam2

Pro

I will argue that with their colonial history, Scotland (Lowlands mostly) should be tried for their crimes against humanity and their war crimes.
debatefox

Con

first of all I would like to say I know absolutely nothing about this subject and am only doing this to see how well I can debate even if I'm clueless I want to thank my opponent for being patient with me for I will have to research every thing
Adam2

Pro

Alright debatefox, buddy, take your time. Just make sure you get indepth info. Here's why I say Scotland (mostly the Lowlands) should be tried for crimes against humanity. I will start with a statement. This society tends to call Germans/Austrians Nazis and Italians Fascist but overlook other nations' crimes against humanity.

All the hatred and animosity many former subjects have towards Britain have to do with Scotland (and northern England), and it began with a Scottish king, and it has been Scottish-led since the old days. Mostly the Lowlands though. James I (a Scottish king) was the one who initiated the brutal conquest of Virginia (Jamestown, which is named for him). He also launched an invasion of southern England in an attempt to bribe and steal the crown of England. Many English civilians were victims of his invasion. Also James the First was the mastermind behind the Highland Clearance, which was basically an attempt to purge a mostly Nordic/Anglo-Saxon Scotland of Gaelic/Catholic influence, by driving the Gaelic Highlanders out of the Lowlands. It's something similar to Andrew Jackson's Trail of Tears.

It was also under James, that the first wars against the Native Americans occured (1622, 3 years before the end of his reign). That's all I have to say for now. To this day Scotland has never apologized or even thought of apologizing. Many in Scotland are proud of what they did, unfortunately.
debatefox

Con

alright here i go: we should not judge the people of present by what the people of the past did if i were to arrest you for what your great great grandfather did what good would i be doing i would be arresting an innocent man.
Adam2

Pro

"Alright here i go: we should not judge the people of present by what the people of the past did if i were to arrest you for what your great great grandfather did what good would i be doing i would be arresting an innocent man."
I don't judge all of them for what they did. I don't hate Scots as a whole, though I don't approve of the culture of the Lowlands, and the whole "guilty before proven innocent" system of law in the Lowlands. What I do say is the Scots should have some decency in their hearts to at least apologize for what they've done to their subjects. It's humiliating what the Indians, Native Americans, Chinese, Welsh, southern English, and Irish had to go through.

Another thing was that in the Lowlands of Scotland (somewhere in the northeast part of the Lowlands), the KKK was formed. It was not formed in America, but there. Glasgow was also the first city to have brutal race riots, in 1919, treating blacks like garbage, another one followed shortly not too far, south in Shields (Durham, England). Hatred of tomboys and autistic people runs rampant in the south of Scotland and north of England too. Plus it was there that eugenics was born (Sir Francis Galton was related to the famous Scotsman Darwin [Darwin was Scottish]). It's not fair to me, an autistic kid, and millions of autistic men in Scotland, that we've never gotten our due apology or at least done something to rectify wrongs. Scotland is not alone. Denmark, also a colonial power, has never apologized either for their wrongs, and many Danes seem to be proud of it too.
debatefox

Con

debatefox forfeited this round.
Adam2

Pro

Another thing about war crimes is mostly for that and for the war crimes of Gordon Brown (of Scotland). I definitely believe he should be tried for the war crimes he committed in Iraq.
debatefox

Con

debatefox forfeited this round.
Adam2

Pro

For my closing argument I do believe Scotland should be tried for their colonial crimes for these reasons. May the best man win.
debatefox

Con

sorry about forfeiting those round my computer is being really wierd we will have to try again somtime
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
I meant the Lowlands.
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
why should a whole people pay for what few did
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
It was a merciless race riot
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
Darwin had Scottish ancestry
The only time the English had any responsibility for acts were from those who descended from Danelaw settlers.
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
@Adam2
Targeting blacks and Arabs unfairly
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
@ DreadUK
First of all no they did not have anything to do but they were the same kinda thing. The Glasgow Riots in 1919 were some of them most deadly in Britain
Posted by DreadUK 2 years ago
DreadUK
"Another thing was that in the Lowlands of Scotland (somewhere in the northeast part of the Lowlands), the KKK was formed. It was not formed in America, but there. Glasgow was also the first city to have brutal race riots, in 1919, treating blacks like garbage."

Your evidence for this is?

As far as I can establish the KKK were formed around 1865 in Pulaski, Tennessee. 44 years later you blame race riots in Glasgow on the KKK? despite there having been a World War from 1914 to 1918. I think you are confusing documented fact with imaginary concepts.

Nor was Darwin Scottish.
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
Don't vote for this debate. Let me have another shot. My opponent wants another chance.
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
stealing the crown from England (James I of Scotland doing that), need I say more.
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
The Highland Clearance, the brutal invasion of Virginia by James I, 1607, building the British Empire, conquest of India, the Troubles in Ireland, the mistreatment of the Axis enemies in World War II.
Vote Placed by AdamKG 2 years ago
AdamKG
Adam2debatefoxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited losing score for conduct. Pro had better grammar. Pro had clear knowledge and argued well. Con had little argument. Neither side displayed sources, although pro probably did research from somewhere. I am not fact checking.