KasperKid
Ockham

Scream at the sky day or what ever its called is useless

KasperKid
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

KasperKid

Pro

Yeah, liberal holidays seem useless
Ockham

Con

Scream at the sky day is intended "to commemorate the anniversary of Donald Trump's election" and to express "anger at the current state of democracy." [1] It will get people talking about how bad liberals think the Trump administration is, so it is not completely useless.

[1] https://pjmedia.com...
KasperKid

Pro

Ah, thanks for joining. First of, Americas not a direct democracy, as I'm sure you know. Screaming at the sky is not bringing good attention any way. Most of what I've seen of it is just people screaming because they did not get what they want.
Ockham

Con

Regarding the definition of democracy, from Merriam Webster online dictionary:

1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority
b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections [1]

Definition 1b applies to the United States, since in the United States "supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them [...] indirectly through a system of representation."

As far as "not bringing good attention," it's worth noting that this objection could be made to most protests. People don't generally view the protesters per se positively. The point is to get people talking about the problems with Trump's administration.

33,000 people are interested in the event on Facebook [2], so there must be some people who view this activity positively. Pro is clearly not a liberal (he writes "liberal holidays seem useless"), so he wouldn't view nearly anything that liberals did positively, but people sympathetic to the goals of the protesters won't view their actions as merely stupid like he does. They will realize that scream at the sky day is intended somewhat humorously.

[1] https://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] https://www.inquisitr.com...
KasperKid

Pro

wow 30,000 people thats a lot. wow. whats the end goal again?
Ockham

Con

The goal is to raise awareness about the problems liberals see with Trump's administration. I provided a source for that earlier.

Note: As far as judging for this debate, I would suggest that I have provided more sources and argued better than my opponent.
Posted by Mharman 1 month ago
Mharman
It is a dumb holiday. I really wish Pro had actually tried in the Third Round.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 month ago
dsjpk5
FYI, anyone who votes on sources need to explain why the sources helped the argument. Under current voting rules, just having more sources is not a valid reason to award source points.
Posted by Leaning 1 month ago
Leaning
Just do what I do when I have problems, SCREAM! - Patrick Star
Posted by Debating_Horse 1 month ago
Debating_Horse
(Ockham) [con] has the worst arguments. Obviously those people are dumb! Common sense! What is the point in screaming at the sky just because Donald Trump won the election? its an utterly retarded act, so darn butthurt!

And for this being relevant:
Vote Placed by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 1 month ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
KasperKidOckhamTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro by default!
Vote Placed by SupaDudz 1 month ago
SupaDudz
KasperKidOckhamTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources are saying what screaming at the sky is, not any proof of what it is or any studies. I can not give you sources in the debate. I really hate to vote CON in this debate because this argument could have easily been winnable by saying that it's over and there is nothing you can do. Even saying he is not likely getting re elected in 2020 would have won you the debate because democrats would be happy and not scream at the sky, which is 100% biased and unreasonable. Your R3 argument was just asking a question in your most critical speech because you need to convince me why the judge should vote PRO. Not only are your arguments weak, you don't extend on CON definitions or statements that were strong in R2. Also loss of conduct points due to calling liberals "holidays" which is not good conduct in the debate rounds. I really thought this was a winnable argument if it was extended enough and not choked in R3, so therefore, I vote CON. if you have questions, let me know in the PM's