Beachgirly
Riversidegirl4life

Sea Walls

Riversidegirl4life

Beachgirly

Con

1st round is for acceptance
And by accepting this debate you will be on the pro side on the building of sea walls along the coast.
This is really a opinion based debate so you do not have to provide any resources if you don't choose to.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

I accept. This looks like an interesting debate :) I look forward to your arguments in Round 2!
Beachgirly

Con

The Pros and Cons of Sea walls

Cons: Pros:
Expensive to build Absorbs impact of the waves
Over time the wall will erode
Visually unattractive Protects the land close to the ocean
Costly to maintain
Can be expensive to obtain and transport
(Overall it's a cost problem)

Now this debate is both a problem of people who live on the coast and people such as environmentalists, tourists who go to our beaches, ect.

Now for the people who buy houses along the beach I believe that they lack in the common sense department.
They practically WASTE their money on buying a extremely expensive house along the beach/along cliffs when inevitably the sea walls will erode, or a huge wave might come slamming down on their homes..
Sea walls do not protect against tsunamis, or anything of that nature.

Sea walls are a type of coastal management here are other types of coastal management:
Groynes: Are wooden barriers that are built at a right angle to the beach. This absorbs energy which reduces cliff erosion (only one that's not that costly)

Sea Walls: Are walls that are built along the front of cliffs, the often protect land (homes stores ect.).
This can cause the erosion of the material at the base of the wall.

Revetments: Wooden barriers built towards the rear of the beaches to protect the base of the cliffs

Rock armor/boulder barriers: Placed along the base of a cliff to absorb energy from waves.

Gabsions: Where rocks and boulders are surrounded in this type of mesh and absorbs the energy from the waves

Off-shore breakwater: Large concrete blocks and boulders located off shore and are use to change the direction of the waves

But will be only debating about sea walls not th other types of coastal management.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Rebuttal:
"Over time the wall will erode"
Just because something isn't permanent doesn't mean it's not worth installing. Even though hillside forestation isn't permanent, it is still done because it is an effective way to stop avalanches, in the way that sea walls are effective at reducing the impact of tidal waves and tsunamis.

"Costly to maintain"
It is even more costly to repair roads, houses, office blocks and compensate families if a tsunami or tidal wave damages a town or part of a city.

"Now this debate is both a problem of people who live on the coast and people such as environmentalists,"
Sea walls will reduce busy traffic on beaches, therefore allowing wildlife such as turtles and endangered species in rock pools to thrive.

"Sea walls do not protect against tsunamis, or anything of that nature."
Sea walls do protect against small tidal waves, that is the whole point of them! It also reduces the impact of tsunamis and larger tidal waves, even if they don't toally stop them (1) There have been numerous accounts of towns being protected from tidal waves by sea walls.

With climate change becoming increasingly dangerous, the chance of tidal waves and tsunamis occurring are significantly higher.
Sea walls are an investment in our future!

1. http://www.slideshare.net...
Beachgirly

Con

[b]"Sea walls do protect against small tidal waves"[/b]
Right I do understand that, but may I ask why do we need them?
Ohh wait I know, "we" need them because some people want to invest in a expensive house that will ineffably be destroyed by the waves. Like I said some people are lacking common sense when the build/buy along the beach/beaches cliff.

[b]It is even more costly to repair roads, houses, office blocks and compensate families if a tsunami or tidal wave damages a town or part of a city.[/b]
Ummm we use roads every day, they are a MUCH NEEDED commute system, houses, they are more NEEDED than sea walls... And once again a sea wall in NOT going to protect against a tsunami!

[b]"With climate change becoming increasingly dangerous, the chance of tidal waves and tsunamis occurring are significantly higher."[/b]
Haha! Not to sound rude but, do you really think that sea walls are going protect us from tsunamis?
How about you look at this picture
http://www.google.com...

This was a tsunami in Mayiko and it don't look like th sea walls were doing much of anything..

[b]"Sea walls will reduce busy traffic on beaches, therefore allowing wildlife such as turtles and endangered species in rock pools to thrive."[/b]
No they truly don't "reduce" anything except the budget of the home owners and govt.

Ohh here is a little something on eroding walls and how they effect the people http://articles.latimes.com...
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Riversidegirl4life forfeited this round.
Beachgirly

Con

Vote for Con? :D
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

You're not winning that easily! Sorry I missed the last round, but I'm still going to fight to win this debate.

" but may I ask why do we need them?"
So you're asking why we need to protect cities against tidal waves? Okay.. tidal waves damage houses, buildings, vegetation and roads. Look at this image:
As you can see, there was a lot of destruction caused, which could have been reduced by sea walls.

" "we" need them because some people want to invest in a expensive house that will ineffably be destroyed by the waves. Like I said some people are lacking common sense when the build/buy along the beach/beaches cliff."
Some clarification would be great. I don't see how people who buy houses on the coast are lacking common sense, as with the installation of sea walls they won't be washed away.

" people want to invest in a expensive house that will ineffably be destroyed by the waves."
Seems like you're arguing my side of the debate here...

"we use roads every day, they are a MUCH NEEDED commute system, houses, they are more NEEDED than sea walls"
It seems like you haven't understood my point. What I was saying was that even though sea walls are expensive, it is worth it because the cost of repairing roads should a tidal wave occur, is higher. It's like, if someone was going to steal your $1000 car and an alarm system cost $90, it would be illogical to say that getting the alarm system was too costly. I agree that roads are very much needed, which is why we should treasure them and protect them with sea walls.
In no way did I state or believe that sea walls should priorotise above roads though.

"once again a sea wall in NOT going to protect against a tsunami!"
Agreed.... care to quote a part of my argument that says that the will? I just stated that they would reduce the impact, not stop them completely.

" but, do you really think that sea walls are going protect us from tsunamis?"
No I don't. Check my response to your previous quote ^.

"No they truly don't "reduce" anything except the budget of the home owners and govt."
.... Reduce the budget of homeowners? How so? Also, like I sad: there is an increasingly huge chance that a tidal wave will occur due to climate change, and if anything will reduce the government's budget it's going to be repairing all that damage! Sea walls are relatively cheap, compared to repairing houses, roads and conpensating families.

Also, you didn't really rebut my point about beach traffic, so I guess I've won that clash point!
I look forward to your response.
Posted by Beachgirly 5 years ago
Beachgirly
Why thank you! :3
Posted by Riversidegirl4life 5 years ago
Riversidegirl4life
Thanks, you put up a great argument too!
Posted by Beachgirly 5 years ago
Beachgirly
Great job Riversidegirl4life!! :D
Posted by Beachgirly 5 years ago
Beachgirly
yes sea walls :D
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
Sea walls?
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
BeachgirlyRiversidegirl4lifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro had much more convincing arguments despite the forfeited round. Sources were tied, grammar was fine, the debate itself was ok...
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
BeachgirlyRiversidegirl4lifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct con. If you want me to come back and note on args pm me on a later date.
Vote Placed by Mimshot 5 years ago
Mimshot
BeachgirlyRiversidegirl4lifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF gives conduct points to Con, but even so, Pro made a much better argument all around. Con never really gave a good reason why not to build sea walls other than "we" don't need them. I'm still not sure who "we" is.