jhenley9111
onyx930

SeaWorld

jhenley9111

jhenley9111

Con

I would like to debate SeaWorld's cruel use of orcas for entertainment. I would also like Pro to do first. Best of luck!
onyx930

Pro

Sea world is not harming the oracs it may seem like the Sea world is the one harming but they are completely safe. If anything the orcas are hurting the people at sea world. There are over 60 events of the whales hurting or even killing the trainers. The trainers at Sea world do nothing when a whale attacks. How is this animal cruelty?
jhenley9111

Con

First of all, I would like to point out that my opponent used no sources to back up his claims. Also, his grammar is bad.

Now I would like to propose my arguments and then will rebuttal my opponents previous claims.

Five orcas currently at SeaWorld were kidnapped from their ocean homes, as were others who have since died. For example, Tilikum, a 32-year-old orca, was captured at the age of 2 by a marine "cowboy." Tilikum wasn't taken from his natural environment because he was injured"instead, he was torn away from his family against his will and confined to a small concrete tank for a hefty profit.

In 1965, the first-ever
orca show was performed by a female orca named Shamu at SeaWorld San Diego. During Shamu's capture, her mother was shot with a harpoon and killed before the young orca's very eyes by a marine "cowboy" named Ted Griffin. Griffin's partner, Don Goldsberry, later worked for SeaWorld and was assigned to bring orcas into the park. He continued kidnapping and slaughtering orcas, and at one point, he hired divers to slit open the bellies of four orcas, fill them with rocks, put anchors around their tails, and sink them to the bottom of the ocean so that their deaths would not be discovered.

In nature, orcas choose their own mates. But at SeaWorld, orcas are forced to breed on a regular basis. Male orcas are trained to float on their backs, and their trainers masturbate them to collect their sperm. Females are artificially inseminated and forced to breed at a much younger age than they would in nature. Katina was forced to breed when she was only 9 years old (at least five years earlier than she would have naturally bred in the wild). Now she is used as a virtual breeding machine and is even being inbred with her own sons.

SeaWorld's corporate incident log contains reports of more than 100 incidents of orca aggression at its parks, often resulting in injuries to humans and even causing one death by extensive internal bleeding.

Following a 2006 attack by an orca on a trainer at SeaWorld in San Diego, the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health concluded that it was "only a matter of time" before someone was killed while interacting with the orcas. A further investigation into these attacks could have prevented injuries and deaths.

Orcas in the wild have an average life expectancy of 30 to 50 years"their estimated maximum life span is 60 to 70 years for males and 80 to more than 100 for females. The median age of orcas in captivity is only 9.

In captivity, all male orcas have collapsed dorsal fins as adults, which is a sign of an unhealthy orca. SeaWorld claims that this condition is common and natural for all orcas. However, collapsed dorsal fins are caused by the unnatural environment of captivity and are rarely seen in the wild. Only 1 to 5 percent of male orcas in some populations (and none in others) have fully collapsed dorsal fins.

Contrary to popular belief, trainers often have no formal education in marine biology. Their main purpose is to entertain and put on a "good" show for visitors, not educate people about the intelligence, social nature, or natural families, foraging behavior, and habitats of the animals held at SeaWorld.

On January 11, 2012, the USDA issued an official warning to SeaWorld San Antonio for its "repeated failure to provide drain covers that are securely fastened in order to minimize the potential risk of animal entrapment""a violation that resulted in the death of a sea lion.

In March 2013, prompted by PETA's complaint about a child who had been bitten by a dolphin at SeaWorld, the USDA conducted an investigation and cited the marine park for several violations of the Animal Welfare Act, including the use of expired surgical materials, some almost a decade old. The USDA also documented that a dolphin tank and the areas surrounding the orca performance tank were in disrepair and contained cracked and crumbling concrete and rusty beams that could pose a threat to the health and safety of both the animals and workers. The USDA pointed out that the unsafe conditions "might create a health risk if these pieces of concrete fall off into the pool and get ingested, or if they become abrasive" and that they "do not facilitate cleaning and disinfection."

SeaWorld confines whales and dolphins"who often swim up to 100 miles a day in the wild"to tanks that, to them, are the size of a bathtub.

SeaWorld presents itself as a family establishment full of fun "educational" activities. However, these activities harm animals physically and emotionally. SeaWorld has the financial means and ability to create coastal sanctuaries, where the orcas would have a more natural and less stressful life and where they could feel the tides and waves; see, sense, and communicate with their wild relatives and other ocean animals; and engage in other natural behavior that they are now denied. However, the park instead chooses to stick with the same inhumane business model that it has used for 50 years, despite all the violent and deadly incidents and evidence of harm. Please say NO to SeaWorld and its enslavement of animals by refusing to buy a ticket to this abusement park, and ask the marine park to release these animals to sanctuaries.

"Sea world is not harming the oracs"

Really? I just concluded that they do.

"If anything the orcas are hurting the people at sea world."

Did you know that there is not even ONE record of a wild orca hurting a human? Orcas at SeaWorld are in constant stress. This causes orcas to become violent.
onyx930

Pro

onyx930 forfeited this round.
jhenley9111

Con

I rest my case.
onyx930

Pro

onyx930 forfeited this round.
jhenley9111

Con

I rest my case...
onyx930

Pro

Ok. I am not onyx930, but I am his friend, and he is letting me post this round because he is an idiot and yes, his grammar is in fact bad. First off, I would like to say that I completely agree with you. Sea world is a cruel, horrible place where animals are cruelly enslaved and tortured and made to do tricks for the entertainment of Americans who probably don't even appreciate the animals and are only worried about how fast they can get out of there to go stuff there faces with cheeseburgers. I, in fact am probably a poor choice to write this argument because there is no argument to be made. In truth, i'm not entirely sure why my idiot friend excepted this debate in the first place.
jhenley9111

Con

I agree with you. Be sure to tell your friend to be more serious with future debates. Many people do not vote on debates that go this way. That lowers both contender's win rates down because debates like this one will show up as "tied".
onyx930

Pro

I accepted this debate with out knowing how serious this debate was going to be I accepted this when I was new. My apologies, I also agree with you about Sea world.
Posted by Knowledge4Knowledge 3 years ago
Knowledge4Knowledge
What are your sources? none have been listed.
Posted by jhenley9111 3 years ago
jhenley9111
Totally against SeaWorld.
Posted by Mr.sarcastic 3 years ago
Mr.sarcastic
I'm confused? Are you against SeaWorld's act, or agree with what they're doing?
Vote Placed by sewook123 3 years ago
sewook123
jhenley9111onyx930Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and Pro conceded. Good arguments by Con.
Vote Placed by Mr.sarcastic 3 years ago
Mr.sarcastic
jhenley9111onyx930Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Kind of obvious.