Seal murder is beneficial.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals/final statements

Mind a debate on murder?

Firstly, thank you for accepting this debate dear. I center my argument around three main statements.

Statement 1: Seals were and are a part of Inuit life.
Statement 2: Seal hunting benefits Canada's economy.
Statement 3: Seal hunting keeps the Harp Seal population in check.

[S1]: The Arctic conditions of Canada and Alaska could and can't support a large verity of plant life. These are the regions the Inuit call home. During the harsh winters, food was scarce. Food that wasn't seal, fish, whale, narwhal, walrus, or some other Arctic mammal was hard to come by. During the other seasons of the year, other animals and plants could be consumed. Yet seals were a vital source of food during those winters. Seals provided: oil for Kudliks (vital sources of heat and light), warm and water resistant clothing, tents, tools and utensils.

[S2]: Canada is currently the sixth strongest economy on earth (source: This is because of its open markets, and trade freedom. Small coastal communities that would have been abandoned for larger cities see large financial growth.
To quote the Fisheries and Oceans Canada,"The current harp seal harvest is conducted as an economically sustainable activity. It can make an important contribution to the annual income of people living in rural coastal communities where other economic opportunities are limited, which may reduce outmigration to large urban centres. The loss of economic opportunities would have an important impact on people in these small communities.

The seal harvest provides direct employment for over six thousand people per year on a part-time basis. Some sealers have stated that their income from sealing can represent a significant amount of their total annual income."

[S3]: The harp seal population currently numbers around 7.5 million (quote Britannica). A population above 9 million would cause competition for food and force the seals to face a much more painful death. A death by starvation or cannibalism.

Thanks buddy.
I don't have a problem with people killing animals for survival. If that's what they need to do to stay alive than that's perfectly fine. A human life is more important than the life of a seal. However even though a seals life isn't as important as a humans life a seals life is still important. No creature should be killed because some old lady wants a nice coat or because someone wants some exotic meat. It's cruel. It's wrong. It's immoral and it breaks my heart.
In an ideal world we wouldn't have to kill animals for survival. But this is far from a perfect world and I accept that. I accept that a farmer might murderer an innocent chicken for food and money. I accept that people might kill innocent fish for food and income. I accept that people might have to kill innocent seals for their countries economy. I don't accept that people will simply kill an innocent animal for fun or pleasure. It really is sick and it's just wrong.
It's not the seals fault that people can't find jobs. Leave the seals alone. Find another job.
Just because there are lots of seal doesn't mean we should brutally kill them.

I will give you the first part of that. I will give you most of the second as well. But the seal killing is widely unbrutal. As you said, people consume and wear seal based products. To get the most use out of the seal, 90% of seal hunters use firearms in place of the Hakapik.This allows for a clean kill. The Hakapik itself though can still be considered a clean means of death as compared to traditional spears. Wherein blood loss was the main cause of death.

Danke for the debate. But I still maintain my view that the hunt is beneficial.

Thanks for the debate. You did good. Remember the only reason to kill is for survival
Posted by SPENCERJOYAGE14 2 years ago
This is the topic that first brought me to
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: pro had sources, con had emotion