chevypillow
ChadIrvin

Seat Belt Laws

ChadIrvin
Started: 5/20/2014 Category: Cars

chevypillow

Con

Does anyone else think cops writing people tickets for not wearing their seatbelts is completely rediculous? Doing this only helps prevent you from not dying, not anyone else on the road. It's good to wear your seat belt, but it should never be enforced if it don't effect no one else. Since when does the government care about people's well being?
ChadIrvin

Pro

I will gladly challenge you on this debate and explain why it is a good idea for police officers to hand out tickets if you aren't wearing a seat belt. I will also explain the differences between what is our "right" and what is our privilage when it comes to driving and wearing our seat belts.

I believe strongly that we should obey the rules of the road, which include wearing your seat belt, whether you're a child in the back seat or an adult behind the wheel.

Let's take a look at your first question. You asked if anyone else thought it was completely rediculous for cops to write tickets to those not wearing their seat belts. I don't think it's rediculous at all. A police officer's job is to serve and protect their citizens according to the law. Therefore, I do not believe it to be rediculous at all. The cop is just doing his/her job to protect the lives of those on the road. Even if that life does not wish to be protected.

You also stated that the only reason they (the cops) do this is to prevent us from not dying, not anyone else on the road. Not everyone dies while not wearing their seat belts. They could also be preventing a debilitating injury, not only to yourself, but to others as well.

I look forward to debating this with you in the future rounds.
chevypillow

Con

chevypillow forfeited this round.
ChadIrvin

Pro

My opponent, I guess, decided not to continue this debate any further. My previous argument stands.
chevypillow

Con

Sorry, this was my first debate and I forgot about it. In response to my arguer, you are missing the point. It doesn't matter if driving w/o your seatbelt can cause you to get hurt and not die, or harm other people in the car. I'm saying that it should not be enforced. It should definetely be recommended by athorities and everyone should wear them, but if they don't that should be their own fault if they get hurt in an accident. It's not like DUI where you can cause damage to others on the road. When you don't wear your seatbelt you're only hurting yourself. It's like getting fined for having annonymous unprotected sex, it's dangerous because you can very likely get a sometimes deadly STD but that don't mean you can go around fining people for banging at their own consent.
ChadIrvin

Pro

I appreciate your response to my argument.

"In response to my arguer, you are missing the point. It doesn't matter if driving w/o your seatbelt can cause you to get hurt and not die, or harm other people in the car. I'm saying that it should not be enforced."

The fact it does affect those passengers in the vehicle as well as yourself, proves that other lives are being put in danger. If you are the driver of a vehicle and you have a passenger along for the ride, his/her life is directly your responsibility. You are responsible for this person's life, just as you are responsible for your life. This brings me to my next point...

"It should definetely be recommended by athorities and everyone should wear them, but if they don't that should be their own fault if they get hurt in an accident."

It IS recommended by authorities. It is also recommended by DPS, as evidence with all the radio and television commercials telling us to "click it or ticket." Police officers are sworn to serve and protect their citizens and part of serving and protecting includes issuing citations to those who do not obey the laws. So this fact alone makes it not "ridiculous."

Wearing seat belts saves lives. Not just your own, but also your passenger's lives. If a passenger is not wearing their seat belt, the driver of that vehicle should also be responsible and should also take the citation if issued one.
http://www.cdc.gov...

"It's not like DUI where you can cause damage to others on the road."

The issue isn't whether it causes damage to others on the road, but whether it is ridiculous for police officers to issue tickets to persons not wearing seat belts. And the fact that not wearing a seat belt while operating a motor vehicle is illegal, it most certainly is NOT ridiculous.

"It's like getting fined for having annonymous unprotected sex, it's dangerous because you can very likely get a sometimes deadly STD but that don't mean you can go around fining people for banging at their own consent."

Having unprotected sex is not illegal, you're correct on that. However, this isn't even a good argument for comparison. Operating a vehicle is a privilege we are given if we pass the tests and are old enough. There are no tests to pass to engage in sexual contact. The highways and city roads are regulated by the government, whether it be the federal government, state government, or city. They set the rules and they make sure the rules and laws are being followed. A police officer's job is to make sure these laws are being adhered to. Therefore, it is not ridiculous for them to issue a ticket if one of these laws are being broken, including not wearing a seat belt.

There are many laws that are in place that don't necessarily save live directly or indirectly. Jaywalking is illegal and it only effects the person involved. No one else's life is in danger. Yet this law is to help protect someone from being hit by a vehicle. It's against the law to run naked in public. No one's life is in danger, but the law is necessary, because children may be present.

You made the point that cops should just give you a warning and then it should be up to the individual if they want to follow the warning or not. If a law is being broken and lives are in danger, a warning is not enough.
chevypillow

Con

"The fact it does affect those passengers in the vehicle as well as yourself, proves that other lives are being put in danger. If you are the driver of a vehicle and you have a passenger along for the ride, his/her life is directly your responsibility. You are responsible for this person's life, just as you are responsible for your life. This brings me to my next point..."

Okay, maybe I worded that wrong. What I was trying to say was that being in a car w/o your seatbelt on can cause damage to any individual in the car, no matter where they are sitting. It is most likely for the guy in the passenger's seat to get the most damage, but anyone can still die in a car crash and wearing a seatbelt can easily save your life. That's not my opinion it's just a proven fact and why everyone should wear their seatbelts. It is also true that the driver is responsible for each person's life which is why I think that the driver can choose to have a passenger fined if that passenger refuses to wear their seatbelt, but mainly here I am talking about a single person driving on their own.

"It IS recommended by authorities. It is also recommended by DPS, as evidence with all the radio and television commercials telling us to "click it or ticket." Police officers are sworn to serve and protect their citizens and part of serving and protecting includes issuing citations to those who do not obey the laws. So this fact alone makes it not "ridiculous."

I know it is recommended by athorities, and that's good, but it shouldn't be enforced. The slogan should be "click it or die". If you are driving perfectly innocently on the road and not distracted, but you don't have your seatbelt on, if you get into a car accident, it's not your fault. It's just an accident. You could save yourself by wearing it, or you could not. But you (the person in the car) are only hurting yourself by not wearing YOUR seatbelt. Also, there's something called overprotection. When the cops are to serve and protect, that means to protect you from other citizens, not from yourself for doing something that causes harm only to YOU.

"The issue isn't whether it causes damage to others on the road, but whether it is ridiculous for police officers to issue tickets to persons not wearing seat belts. And the fact that not wearing a seat belt while operating a motor vehicle is illegal, it most certainly is NOT ridiculous."

Well, that sort of is the issue. If it doesn't cause damage to others the cops should have no right to interfere, which is what makes it rediculous. Cops should be on the look out for drunk drivers and texting drivers, the drivers that actually kill thousands of innocent people on the road every year.

"Having unprotected sex is not illegal, you're correct on that. However, this isn't even a good argument for comparison. Operating a vehicle is a privilege we are given if we pass the tests and are old enough. There are no tests to pass to engage in sexual contact. The highways and city roads are regulated by the government, whether it be the federal government, state government, or city. They set the rules and they make sure the rules and laws are being followed. A police officer's job is to make sure these laws are being adhered to. Therefore, it is not ridiculous for them to issue a ticket if one of these laws are being broken, including not wearing a seat belt."

Yes, having unprotected sex with compete strangers does not have anything to do with driving, but it is still just as dangerous as not wearing a seatbelt. And yes, the road is regulated by the government, but so what? I'm saying this seatbelt thing SHOULDN'T even be a law.

"There are many laws that are in place that don't necessarily save live directly or indirectly. Jaywalking is illegal and it only effects the person involved. No one else's life is in danger. Yet this law is to help protect someone from being hit by a vehicle. It's against the law to run naked in public. No one's life is in danger, but the law is necessary, because children may be present."

Jaywalking effects no one else? Tell that to the people in the car going through the mental trauma of watching a body hit their car, or having to pay for the damage the body that they hit caused. Streaking effects no one else? Tell that to the children under the age of five, who never saw a grown adult of the opposite sex naked running around in broad daylight. You even said that yourself!
ChadIrvin

Pro

As I have already stated, the reason it isn't rediculous for cops to issue tickets to persons not wearing their seat belts is because it is the police officer's job to serve an protect. This does include protecting you from your own stupidity if you choose not to wear one. They are paid to do this. Our tax dollars go to them to do their job. I for one am glad they're using our tax dollars in a productive way and doing their job.

I'm not sure why you're even arguing the streaking law. You just reiterated what I said. We agree. What we don't agree on is the law. So I don't know why you even argued that fact.

So basically, if a cop is paid to do his job by our tax dollars, wouldn't you want him to do his job to the fullest? And I suppose if you don't want to pay a fine, just do the right thing an buckle up. Buckling up has been statistically proven to save lives.

So bottom line is, it isn't rediculous for cops to save lives.
chevypillow

Con

It is rediculous for them to save lives IN THAT WAY. It isn't affecting any one else, therefore in my opinion it should be a personal choice. If the statistics of people who die from not wearing their seatbelt doesn't scare you enough, than it's your loss. There are too many abusive cops out there anyway, and this is just something they can fine you for even if you are wearing it since it's such a minor offense that they can get away with lying about. you never know. Nevertheless, I understand that that is a seperate issue. Also to avoid any further confusion, I was NOT defending streaking. I was refrencing what you said, and then said that I disagree with you, because streaking and jaywalking DO affect other people.
ChadIrvin

Pro

"It is ridiculous for them to save lives IN THAT WAY."

So you're saying it is ridiculous to save lives in that way? That's basically saying it's ridiculous to save lives if it doesn't make sense to you or if you don't agree with it. I would think it important for someone in authority to save lives in ANY WAY POSSIBLE. Especially when it's their job to do so.

With most people, a verbal warning is not enough. Most people don't listen to verbal warnings. So giving a verbal warning doesn't seem like a great way to take care of this problem. And why pull someone over if all you're going to do is tell that person to put on their seat belt? That makes less sense than issuing a citation.

"If the statistics of people who die from not wearing their seat belt doesn't scare you enough, than it's your loss."

Statistics don't scare me. Reality does. I would think that someone scared by statistics would be apt to agree with the safety issue and the prevention of said danger. If you want people to be safe, precautions must be taken. The question would be what type of precautions if you don't agree with the current laws. If you don't agree with something, the best thing to do would be to come up with some alternate ideas.

I have already given reasons as to why I don't agree with the assertion that issuing citations to those not wearing their seat belts is not ridiculous, so I will leave it at that.

Safety laws should be continued as long as they work. Seat belt citations work.
Posted by Stonedtosheep 2 years ago
Stonedtosheep
Handing out fines for not wearing seat belts will not teach a person to wear their seat belt anymore than the the knowledge of the dangers. Punishing people for that is just superfluous nonsense. As for rights and privileges (and laws for that matter) they are made the Eff up! I don't believe or follow along with intangible make believe crap. Just because the majority believe all that nonsense doesn't make it real. Kinda like another popular fairytale in America ...
If you truly believe seat belts should be worn it should be mandated that cars will not start if all occupied seats are not belted. If at that point you have to go out of your way to take your seat belt off there is truly nothing anyone can do for that person.

Fining them certainly does less than nothing for them.

Seat belt laws are just superfluous not to mention useless for the purposes to which they were enacted.

Laws are just failures to deal with problems. We need technical and practical solutions not more laws.
Posted by armydaughter7us 2 years ago
armydaughter7us
Believe it or not, police don't become police just to be a hard a**. They actually care about your well-being. They are trying to enforce this law because it keeps you safe. If you get into an accident and have loads of brain damage and you're paralyzed from the waist down because you didn't wear your seat belt and flew through the windshield, you tell me if you would regret not wearing one.
Posted by ayla18251 2 years ago
ayla18251
with motor vehicle accidents one of the leading causes of death nowadays, writing tickets for not wearing seat belts is a service.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
chevypillowChadIrvinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeit. While I'm not the biggest fan of seatbelt laws myself for various reasons, Con failed to provide any real substantive case against them, particularly in light of Pro's showing of valid state interest. Arguments to Pro. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.