irodrigu
Steve221

Second Amendment

Steve221

irodrigu

Con

I Believe that the Second amendment should not stay apart of the constitution as is because of two reasons:
1. after doing much research, I found that guns are responsible for more than 38,000 deaths each year in the United States. In 1994 alone, guns were used in 17,800 or 70% of all murders. They were also used in more than 18,700 suicides. furthermore, it is estimated that 135,000 kids take a gun to school with them every day. A 1994, survey of high school students across the nation found that one out of every twenty students carried a gun with them during the last month. Is it any wonder than in 1994, 11,823 young Americans died from gunshot wounds?

2. We Need to have stricter gun laws at LEAST because felons are now finding it very easy to regain gun rights. this should scare you because if you were in my position and just turned someone in for assault with a deadly weapon you'd fear your life too.
Steve221

Pro

The second amendment is very important part of the United States Constitution. Therefore Id should not be abolished

the second amendment's text reads as follows:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Argument 1...
We as in Americans have the right to bear arms. We have this right in case we the people have to fight against our government, in order to keep America free. Our nations founders understood that governments are very capable of becoming to powerful and if that should ever happen the right to bear arms is crucial for keeping out government at bay. If our government wanted to enslave out population so to speak and turn our country into a dictatorship and we have no way of fighting back then I ask how would we stop them?

Now I do understand that the odds of this are very low and most likely would never happen, however it is possible. even at a virtually no chance on this ever happening, our nation founders have put aside these rules in order to ensure that we as a people have a way to protect our civil liberty's

Now my opponent had also giving an array of statistics, however I would like to point out that Guns are not even in the top ten leading causes in death. the list is as follows:
Heart disease: 616,067
Cancer: 562,875
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
Diabetes: 71,382
Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 46,448
Septicemia: 34,828

argument 2....
Kennesaw, Georgia, is a town in which the crime rate is half of what the U.S. average is. Crime rates have started to drop since 2003. now your probably wondering what was The leading contribution of the decline in crime?
well it was a law that states this:
"In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore." And since that law was passed the decline in crime started. I should also note that there are exceptions in that law such as persons with disability's or mental illness

my opponent had stated
"We Need to have stricter gun laws at LEAST because felons are now finding it very easy to regain gun rights. this should scare you because if you were in my position and just turned someone in for assault with a deadly weapon you'd fear your life too."

and would like to point out that while it is sad that you had to turn in someone to the police for assault. And trust me I do feel for you. But is it not nice to know you live in a country where you have the right to protect yourself if something like this were to happen to you again.
irodrigu

Con

irodrigu forfeited this round.
Steve221

Pro

my opponent has not made a rebuttal
irodrigu

Con

irodrigu forfeited this round.
Steve221

Pro

Steve221 forfeited this round.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
hey irodrigu wanna debate this?
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
irodriguSteve221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side posted sources and forfeited, while Pro participated only once after his preliminary arguments. In addition to having a stronger case, Pro's contentions--while easily countered in one way or another--made him a victor in this (poor) debate. Pro's notion that guns are not even among the top ten causes of death eliminates the sense of urgency inherent in Con's arguments, in particular.