Adam2
Spamkybones

"Seinfeld" is R-rated

Spamkybones

Adam2

Pro

Here I will say that "Seinfeld" is R-rated and give examples as to why it is. First round for acceptance.
Spamkybones

Con

Simply saying se infield is r rated isn't much of a debate but whatever
Adam2

Pro

Haters are gonna hate, whatever...

Anyways, here...

Here are some examples of why "Seinfeld" is R-rated

"The Busboy" -- Antonio (the busboy) gets into a fight with a neighbor next to him, apparently angered by being bumped into. Antonio gets furious and he says to watch. The other guy doesn't listen and Antonio gets furious and lauches a Spanish tirade against the other guy. He finally says, if you listen closely, "You're the f$%Tr!" And it's left uncensored. Now this one is not solid, but I'm not the only one who has heard this.

Here is more solid reasons why

"The Heart Attack" -- George says "jerk off" after Jerry playfully puts the pillow on George. "Jerk off" (even though not mentioned in its real meaning -- masturbation) is an R-rated word. And thus, is also a word not allowed on TV.

"The Pitch" -- George makes a remark about having a good story. He says that story "is the foundation of all entertainment, you must have a good story, otherwise it's simply just masturbation." LMAO! That's R-rated subject matter in itself.

"The Pledge Drive" -- revolves around the finger (which is shown, even if not in its meaning, it's done to sneak it into TV). How they got away with showing the finger on TV is beyond me. Kramer also says, "p&**ed off" (also uncensored, and not allowed on TV).

This one is debatable for R-ratedness, but I definitely am sure this would have gotten you an R rating or explicit label 20 years ago. "The Parking Garage" had a scene devoted to peeing.
Spamkybones

Con

While Seinfeld would be rated r 20 years ago it would not be today. The issue is that little children don't underhand the sexual references and then once they do it no longer matters because they should be mature enough to handle it. PG-13 " Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13. A PG-13 rating is a sterner warning by the Rating Board to parents to determine whether their children under age 13 should view the motion picture, as some material might not be suited for them. A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. The theme of the motion picture by itself will not result in a rating greater than PG-13, although depictions of activities related to a mature theme may result in a restricted rating for the motion picture. Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13. That from MPPA Seinfeld meets. Pg13. So using this your examples in all are brief so this would make it pg13. I hope this good debate continues.
Adam2

Pro

BTW, the haters gonna hate was not directed at you, it was directed at someone who hated this.
"While Seinfeld would be rated r 20 years ago it would not be today."
At least you ain't one of those people who think "Seinfeld" is PG or G-rated. LMAO. But I don't agree. Let me contiune the refutal and I'll tell you why.
"The issue is that little children don't underhand the sexual references and then once they do it no longer matters because they should be mature enough to handle it. PG-13 " Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13. A PG-13 rating is a sterner warning by the Rating Board to parents to determine whether their children under age 13 should view the motion picture, as some material might not be suited for them. A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. The theme of the motion picture by itself will not result in a rating greater than PG-13, although depictions of activities related to a mature theme may result in a restricted rating for the motion picture. Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13. That from MPPA Seinfeld meets."
Yes, but I actually gave examples of content that's not shown on the PG-13 material. The middle finger episode is the F-word. And they showed it four times, equivelant to the four F-word non-sexually equals an R rule. Yes, first it was the waitress, then it was George two times reenacting what he alleges the waitress did to him, and it was the waitress again. Plus there's the masturbation remark, George saying "jerk off," the episode in which they talk about peeing, and in one episode you can actually hear them peeing. There is another episode where George might have given the finger to Jerry for getting him angry about Festivus ("The Strike"). "I'm going to work, are you happy now?" *then I think George flips the bird to Jerry and Elaine*

*Pg13. So using this your examples in all are brief so this would make it pg13. I hope this good debate continues.*
I only started, I just gave a few more examples.

The themes of murder and dark humor are prevelant in certain episodes, and quite unpleasant.
There are adult themes, that though are not necessary to get an R-rating, that are R-rated material. Deceit, fraud are amongst the two

Another R-rated episode, Elaine talking about orgasms and about faking them. Wasn't that what got "When Harry Met Sally" an R, aside from some hard language? "Seinfeld" is not for kids. Not for anyone under at least 15
Spamkybones

Con

Again lets go back to my example by mpaa. The f word is used a few times but this does not make it r rated. Also in your last example you say that Seinfeld is not for anyone under 15 well that again would make it pg-13. You said that the themes of murder and dark humor are prevalent that still does not make it R. This again as you saw falls in the PG13 category. So while George may say jerk off and they talk about peeing these are both brief again making it PG13. IMBD actually said that this would actually fall to PG. With all this you can see my case is stronger.
Adam2

Pro

"Again lets go back to my example by mpaa. The f word is used a few times but this does not make it r rated."
"For example, if a film uses the F-word more than four times, it will receive an automatic R rating."
http://voices.yahoo.com...;
Seinfeld has the "Busboy," the middle finger episode (four times non-sexual F-words, which means R right away), potential another finger in the "Strike."
"Also in your last example you say that Seinfeld is not for anyone under 15 well that again would make it pg-13."
Doesn't make it PG-13. It's still way more serious than a PG-13. There are two main variations of R-rated content. Moderately explicit and just plain hard R. Seinfeld is obviously not a hard R kinda show. But it's without a doubt serious adult content nevertheless. 15 and older is what I said. Stuff aimed at 15 year olds is still way more seriously than stuff aimed at kids who become teens.

"You said that the themes of murder and dark humor are prevalent that still does not make it R. This again as you saw falls in the PG13 category."
I didn't agree with you on being PG13. I said that in addition to the R-rated content that's found on the show already. This just adds an adult-oriented atmosphere even more.

"So while George may say jerk off and they talk about peeing these are both brief again making it PG13."
Explicit peeing is R material, and we actually, as I've said before, have an example of hearing them pee.

IMBD actually said that this would actually fall to PG. With all this you can see my case is stronger."
Are you sure? Look again http://www.imdb.com...

Even if you did not know what was there, something is definitely wrong with that rating. You think "jerk-off," the f-word 5 times, and all this adult content that "Seinfeld" had would be in a PG rating? Something's wrong with that IMDB rating. But it's not relevant.

I'd like to thank my opponent for partaking in this debate. I rest my case. Vote for who you think gives the best debate.
Spamkybones

Con

http://www.imdb.com... This shows that its rating is PG13. You can't use the example of 15 to prove that it's R and that is also just your opinion. I say it would be fine at age 10 for some. Something from yahoo isn't as reliable as the mpaa. Which following this makes Seinfeld PG13 to PG. Having an adult atmosphere does not make it R. Also your link is irrelevant because it doesn't have an actual rating while mine did. I rest my case and believe I have provided a better case.
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
Adam2SpamkybonesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Given that the resolution claims Seinfeld IS R-rated rather than that it SHOULD be R-rated, and Con's link clearly showed it was PG-rated regardless of what it should be, Con wins automatically.
Vote Placed by Input 3 years ago
Input
Adam2SpamkybonesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good debate and it shows that not everything on TV is as tame people think. And even though movies versus TV ratings are diff, they still go into our brains & I believe, that is end point. One of Pro's links lead me to 404 but it was an easy thing to look up. I disagree with Con's statement "Having an adult atmosphere does not make it R." In general, most all children's movies are rated G & PG. Has there been a children's movie rated R? I think not. Adult atmospheres/topics tend to be at the other end of the MPAA rating scale and that is all Seinfeld is, adult themes. Television is a harder medium to monitor for parents than going to go see a movie. "The mind is everything. What you think you become." Buddha
Vote Placed by thp078 3 years ago
thp078
Adam2SpamkybonesTied
Reasons for voting decision: To get into semantics, Pro is inherently wrong as an "R" rating is reserved for movies and Seinfeld is a television show. But for the purposes of my voting, I voted under the false assumption that Seinfeld would be rated as if it were a movie. As far as I can tell, Pro's arguments are that because Seinfeld shows raising one's middle finger in an aggressive manner and makes references to masturbation, it would somehow warrant an "R" rating. This is simply ludicrous and Con succeeds in pointing this out.