okami_95
Marauder

Self Debate

okami_95

Pro

I think you can debate with yourself. It seems very simple to do. What i cant seem to do is debate with yourself ABOUT debating with yourself, and whether its good for your health and your brain
Marauder

Con

you can not debate with yourself without it being unhealthy. if you do succefully manage to establish a dialouge between opponent A and B both voiced and argued by you, you are making yourself come down with Schizophrenia http://en.wikipedia.org...
That is not healthy.
In the event that you completely retain your sanity you are in essence not debating yourself, you are debating your real posisition and mocking the other. if you do this in public and change outfits between arguments not letting anyone see you and claim the opponent to have a different name this is propaganda and bad for our country. If you do not change outfits our give fake names the people will think you Schizophernic and that is bad for your reputation.
okami_95

Pro

I do not believe you would go insane or go schizo. If you have the mind to see both pros and cons, and you dont give the people names, the audience knows its you bot times, and you know its you both times, then you can be completely sane. If you cant see both, you shouldnt try.
Marauder

Con

Evedently there are some out there who have this annoying habit of reading my sources and requiring my fact be correct concerning schizo. That I be more pecefice so that you people can have no doubt about what I attempt to mean would happen when you practice self debate; Dissociatie Identity Disorder. http://en.wikipedia.org... It still shoul count as Schizo as it is a bizarre delusion and a very chaotic thinking pattern.
When you practice self debates you will start suffering from a series of symtioms leading you to what I call 'Bi-thought' or 'dual thought'. Because you trained yourself to come up with negetive to a reselution on impulse and defend it as passionately as if you were another person, this impulse will stick with you even if you are not debating yourself on purpose at the moment, just like if you train yourself to frequently ask 'is this a dream' mentally you will eventally start asking it will you really are dreaming, a method used to induce Lucid Dreams. similar techniques for doing so are included in this article on Lucid dreaming http://en.wikipedia.org...
If you start arguing on impulse you essentially get this constant condisending voice, in essence you second guess you every thought, decision, ect... the habit of second guessing oneself in such a constant always ready to cut yourself down kind of way will reduce your confidence. confidence is essential to success http://digitaljournalist.org...

My opponents whole argument last round though seems to reserve to defending only the senario of retained sanity, and relitive honesty with the audience. But he does not adress my last remaining argument for just such a senario concerning your loss of reputaition when people begin to think you have 'mutiple personality' disorder. So I can do nothing hear exept extend my original argument with one edit to it changing Schizophernic to 'Split personality'
okami_95

Pro

Well, since you believe I am just repeating what you say, I shall make some valid points of own. Firstly, I highly doubt you would begin lucid dreaming, considering how many people talk to themselves and are perfectly normal. Secondly, even if it is a dream, and said person believes it is a dream, you can still technically debate. Thirdly, I'm 99.99% positive you would keep your personality, considering all you are technically doing is researching your topic, writing your points and rebuttals, and saying them almost like a speech. And since you are your own opponent, you know exactly what your opponent is going to say, so you don't have to worry about what you are going to say in the form of rebuttals. And you wont have any questions. Oh, and by the way, I'm a girl. I'd like to thank my opponent for recognizing that fact. :~3
Marauder

Con

I brought up Lucid dreaming not to suggest that a Self-debate would cause lucid dreaming, that is ridiculous. I brought it up to show how certain thoughts can be made an unstoppable compulsive habit. in the case of Lucid dreaming the thought people train themselves to think is 'is this a dream' so that they will ask that in there sleep. In the case of self debate I was suggesting a similar phenomena that it would become compulsive to debate ones self and you could not make yourself stop because you are trained to do so on impulse. That is the only connection I intended between Lucid dreams and Self-debates.

From my opponents response I believe her response to my last point about reputation this round is that Self-Debates are for private preparation. I concede that negates any worry of about reputation, as long as you understand your not insane then everything about this practice is okay right?

Wrong

The Great Purpose behind the fine art of debating is the pursuit of truth, either to share or gather new truth that you don't know, and you don't know witch of the two you are doing before entering the debate. Some misuse debates by only entering them under the attitude that they can only share there truth, they cant accept by their arrogance that it may in fact be their opponent who holds the true truth this very debate.
I am speaking of the paramount important role of keeping an objective mind when entering a debate.
Now perhaps if you never self-debate in front of others you can keep the inevitable 'mocking' style of debating for the side you don't support I spoke of in round one from being propaganda to others, but what about yourself? A Self-debate can only further close your previously objective mind to whatever your debate topic is.

Look at Stephen Colbert http://www.colbertnation.com... He pretends to take the side of Republicans in his show even though he can make sure he remembers his real stance outside of his character role. But by trying to portray the stance he doesn't truly take the 'mocking' of republicans is really what is portrayed. Now this result is still funny and this is why his show is good. But when preparing to enter a real debate if you set your mind to thinking it already knows how your opponent thinks then you will only mock them in your self-debate, hardening your resolve in your own position in the sense of being closed minded.

So in conclusion even if you manage to self debate by yourself in such a way that you do not make it compulsive to debate your every thought when not choosing too; the self debate remains detrimental to your ability to keep an objective and open mind, a needed quality in the pursuit of truth in the debate to come.

I thank my opponent for this good and interesting debate
Posted by okami_95 4 years ago
okami_95
Not really. In all reality, perfectly sane people talk to themselves and argue with themselves all the time. So, i simply wanted to know if it was healthy-or even possible-to debate yourself
Posted by Qetzlcoatl 4 years ago
Qetzlcoatl
Wow......... this is an arguement out of nowhere.
Posted by Marauder 4 years ago
Marauder
@ okami_95
the voteing statistics say your oppinon is tied now when it was pro. I hate to think your mind is changed because of me cause I'm really pro on this topic and debated against it useing all my exagerated paranoid fears for arguing with oneself. But they realy are exagerated and dosnt stop me from self-debating.
Posted by okami_95 4 years ago
okami_95
oh, sorry never mind i agree
Posted by Puck 4 years ago
Puck
What? Critical thinking = self debate. I think you have my comment confused with something else.
Posted by okami_95 4 years ago
okami_95
thats not called "critical thinking", thats called "being nosy and being the only one to care about something so minor as that"
Posted by okami_95 4 years ago
okami_95
thats ok i forgive u
Posted by Marauder 4 years ago
Marauder
I appologise. I dont know where I got the idea you were a guy, I never even thought to check your profile to know what gender approprait term to use.
Posted by Puck 4 years ago
Puck
It's called critical thinking.
Posted by okami_95 4 years ago
okami_95
well, havent u beem busy researching schizos
Vote Placed by jimloyd 1 year ago
jimloyd
okami_95MarauderTied
Reasons for voting decision: self debate is a waste of time
Vote Placed by yayawhatever 4 years ago
yayawhatever
okami_95MarauderTied
Vote Placed by okami_95 4 years ago
okami_95
okami_95MarauderTied
Vote Placed by Anacharsis 4 years ago
Anacharsis
okami_95MarauderTied
Vote Placed by Marauder 4 years ago
Marauder
okami_95MarauderTied
Vote Placed by elizabethPC 4 years ago
elizabethPC
okami_95MarauderTied