kaileyanne2016
Boesball

Selfies should not affect your self-esteem.

Boesball

kaileyanne2016

Pro

Selfies started as just posting a picture of yourself with another person for the purpose of posting a picture with your friend. When it started transitioning to posting a picture of yourself alone is when it got dangerous. Teenage girls, specifically, are so overcome with how many likes they get that they compare it to how they actually look in person. If they don't have enough likes ~ they aren't pretty enough. Who thinks that selfies do not affect teenage girls self esteem and why?
Boesball

Con

First off, we need to clarify what we are debating. We are not arguing whether girl's self esteem is affected by selfies, because that's not the title of the debate. We are arguing whether they should. You say selfies should not affect a person's self esteem, I'm saying they should.

Now using the definition of the word "should" (1) we would see that self esteem should effect a person's self esteem quite early:

should
Used to express probability or expectation

Because of how girls are wired, especially they would be affected by selfies. Reasons for this is because of how addicting it is to feel loved. If a girl gets 300 likes on a selfie, they will feel a burst of pride and self worthiness. That leads to satisfaction (2) and makes them feel good. They feel wanted, loved, and liked. They want to to do it again, and they eventually do it all the time. They want that satisfaction a lot, and it defines who they are. It affects them a lot, and don't you think that this should affect their self esteem? It just seems logical to me.

Because it is proven that girls (and sometimes guys too) are affected by selfies, con is the correct point of view to how the statement is worded.

(1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...;
(2) http://socialtimes.com...;
kaileyanne2016

Pro

Im saying that they shouldn't affect your self-esteem because they are just pictures. I understand that they affect most teenagers, girl and guy, but when did pictures become the judges of who's good looking or not? Its not healthy for teenagers to become upset when there selfie doesn't get a ton of likes, and its a great way to get cyberbullied too.

http://dailylounge.com...
Boesball

Con

ok, i get it how you're trying to say that girls shouldn't have their self esteem determined by simple pictures, but you obviously don't understand women. Women have their self esteem affected by everything. Also, because of today's society, women are even more prone to have their beauty affect their self esteem (1). Therefore, taking simple pictures of themselves should affect their self esteem. I'm not saying that this is a good thing. I'm not saying that bullying doesn't happen. I'm just saying that if you use logical sense and analyze how woman think, it's obvious that stuff like this should happen.

Especially girls with low self esteem can have their self esteem even more effected by slefies. Girls with low self esteem are natural perfectionists, and this creates an urge to have every person like their photos (2). Therefore, like I've said time and time again, the way women think should make them naturally prone to being addicted to posting selfies, being sad when people don't like their selfies, and ultimately letting their self esteem being determined by it.

(1) http://www.huffingtonpost.com...;
(2) http://www.getesteem.com...;
kaileyanne2016

Pro

kaileyanne2016 forfeited this round.
Boesball

Con

Forfeit. That's an automatic 7 point victory!
Posted by Boesball 3 years ago
Boesball
The rich text format has had an issue with links, in the last round I will clarify all those links.
Posted by Boesball 3 years ago
Boesball
@AlternativeDavid exactly my point. They should affect a girl's self esteem because that's just how they're wired
Posted by hepster 3 years ago
hepster
It seems to me it's more about self absorption and narcissism (probably redundant) among younger people that now has spilled over to mainstream masses. Pretty sad as far as I'm concerned.
Posted by TheShadowCupcake 3 years ago
TheShadowCupcake
@dirty

What

Why would anyone be anti-internet? Oh, I know why. Shame on anyone for wanting to hang out in an area where shallow, arbitrary things like race, sex, physical looks, and a plethora of other random things don't matter and only how one thinks, acts, and behaves does.

Why is being at a pool party enjoying youth while being on the internet withering? I daresay there's potential for a debate here. I don't understand your views at all.
Posted by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
Um, what do you mean (to the person beliw me). They can be on the internet if they want to.
Posted by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
Posted by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
Posted by dirtygabbchez666 3 years ago
dirtygabbchez666
and teenage girls have no business being on the internet. They should be at the skating rink or at a pool party enjoying their youth not withering away in their belltower while they hang out on facebook and instagram
Posted by dirtygabbchez666 3 years ago
dirtygabbchez666
Women are too delusional to realize how ugly their selfies really are.
Posted by Aerogant 3 years ago
Aerogant
I BROKE MY PINK NAIL - SELF ESTEEM FAIL

*insert non capital letters*
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
kaileyanne2016BoesballTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff