reggaeman445
Ab_M

Separation of Church & State

reggaeman445

Pro

The separation between church and state is the absolute necessary thing to do in America. There have been too many tragic events caused in the name of religion, so the last thing we should do is bring it into our government. Along with that, not everybody is the same religion. The government can't be picking and choosing which religion is better than the other. That's just pure inequality. Continuing on, we can't run our country on faith. Faith is the idea that one believes in something with no concrete evidence, which is something that has no place in the government. The government needs to protect their people, and the only way to do that is to look at the facts about what's going on in the world. I want to stress real quick that I have no problem with religion in general, this is jus my view on government and religion.
Ab_M

Con

The government should reflect the MORAL views of the leaders we elect, and most people's moral views do derive from their religious beliefs. When we elect people into government positions, we do so knowing what they believe and why. Not to say that I believe a Christian government leader should be advocating for all Biblical sins to be made illegal, but their governmental decisions can still derive from their moral beliefs, which ultimately derive from their religious beliefs. Just like an atheist is allowed to make policy decisions based on his moral views, which ultimately derive from his atheism, a Christian who has been democratically elected must be allowed to make policy decisions based on his beliefs. The right of policy makers to base their decisions on their moral beliefs should not be biased for or against religion.
reggaeman445

Pro

reggaeman445 forfeited this round.
Ab_M

Con

Ab_M forfeited this round.
reggaeman445

Pro

reggaeman445 forfeited this round.
Ab_M

Con

Ab_M forfeited this round.
Posted by DekterDuckley 1 year ago
DekterDuckley
@The-Voice-Of-Truth:
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The modern concept of a wholly secular government is sometimes credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke, but the phrase "separation of church and state" in this context is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper.
Posted by reggaeman445 1 year ago
reggaeman445
Yes, AB_M
Posted by Ab_M 1 year ago
Ab_M
When you say separation of church and state, are you saying that a government leader cannot make a policy choice deriving from their religious beliefs? If so, I will accept. I believe that the government should reflect the MORAL views of the leaders we elect, and most people's moral views do derive from their religious beliefs. Not to say that I believe a Christian government leader should be advocating for all Biblical sins to be made illegal, but their governmental decisions can still derive from their moral beliefs, which ultimately derive from their religious beliefs. VERY interesting topic!
Posted by Ab_M 1 year ago
Ab_M
Posted by Himans45 1 year ago
Himans45
Many conservatives are against this @joetheripper117 and @ Nuzlocke4
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
Show me in the Constitution where separation of church and state is mandated. Those exact words.
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
They are allowed to do it.
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
That does not violate the Free Exercise Clause.
Posted by reggaeman445 1 year ago
reggaeman445
There are many political figures who try to force their religious beliefs into their political life.
Posted by joetheripper117 1 year ago
joetheripper117
I'm pretty sure everyone already agrees.