Dark-Ninja
losedotexe

Serial Killers are Heroes. Care to disagree?

Dark-Ninja

Pro

Serial Killers are Heroes. Like many other, they kill people. However, their journey (into psychological realms that are scarcely understood) is unique and important in it's own way.
losedotexe

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for starting this debate.
For ease of understanding of today's round, I offering the following definitions :
Serial killer - an individual (or conspiracy), operating with or without governmental authority, who directly, or by directive, is responsible for the deaths of 3 or more persons in separate incidents for unjust reasons. [1]
unjust - Justice is the concept of moral rightness based on ethics, rationality, law, natural law, religion, fairness, or equity. [2]
dictionary.com defines hero as a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal.
Further, they define ideal as ; something to be imitated.

The highest value for today's round is Biopower. This is the theory that our body is our temple, and as such, we have the right to it that no one else can control. Foreign bodies have no right to do to our bodies what we do not consent to. We have ultimate and incontestable right to our own body. Because we all have a body that is ours exclusively, we should value biopower for today's round.

The highest criterion is Kant's Categorical Imperative. Kant claims that there a 3 main prongs that must be met in order for an action to be moral, and if even ONE prong fails, the action is deemed immoral.
1. Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction.
2. Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, always at the same time as an end and never merely as a means to an end.
3. Therefore, every rational being must so act as if he were through his maxim always a legislating member in the universal kingdom of ends.

Onto my opponent's case

Serial killers are heroes. This is a contradiction of both my value and criterion. Taking the life of someone else who does not consent is immoral. Because the definition of serial killer alone claims that it is for unjust reasons, this is reason enough to accept it's immoral to be a serial killer.
While the thought process of a serial killer may be unique, this does not have any correlation to being a hero.

I now move onto my case :

Contention 1 - Serial Killing fails Kant

Subpoint A. Serial Killing is not universally applicable.

Serial Killing is not universally applicable. If every human being were to serially kill, which by definition is killing at least 3 people, the human population would become extinct. We cannot justly say that killing human beings is morally right, as it does not meet the value of Biopower, it also is not universally applicable.
Because of these reasons, it fails the first prong of Kant.

Subpoint B. Serial Killing is using people as a means to an end upon which they don't benefit.

As I have shown in my first subpoint, serial killing is causing someone to die. By killing someone, you are removing a person's right to their body. Further, an individual cannot benefit if an individual is dead. They do not benefit from the ends of the means, that being serial killing. Serial killing fails the second prong of Kant. Please keep in mind, that if even ONE prong fails, the entire action is immoral.

Subpoint C. You must apply the action to yourself.

Being killed removes a person's right to their own body. People do not want to die. According to phobia-fear-release.com, necrophobia (The fear of death) is the most common phobia.[4] This, people are not willing to apply this maxim to themselves. This further fails Kant and Biopower, and seeing as it has failed this prong, serial killing is immoral.

Contention 2.
A hero is someone who is ideal

Society reveres heroes as someone who upholds or stands for what is right. As I've shown in my first contention, serial killing is not a moral standard. In addition, society as a whole does not acknowledge as a model human being. This is substantiated by the numerous books that analyse and explain what makes serial killers 'tick'. Because we are considering biopower as our highest value, we can concede that a hero would be considered one for upholding ideals, such as this.

I'd like to reiterate, that serial killers are NOT heroes.
A serial killer fails biopower, as they do not respect an individual's right to body.
Serial killing fails Kant's Categorical Imperative by ;
A. Being incapable of being applied universally.
B. By using people as a means to an end, and
C. By not being a maxim which people would subject themselves to.

Because of this, I must urge an negative ballot. Thank you.

[1]www.freedom-and-law.org/s_v.html
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[4]http://www.phobia-fear-release.com...
Dark-Ninja

Pro

Dark-Ninja forfeited this round.
losedotexe

Con

Please extend my arguments.
Dark-Ninja

Pro

Dark-Ninja forfeited this round.
losedotexe

Con

Extend my arguments.
Dark-Ninja

Pro

Dark-Ninja forfeited this round.
losedotexe

Con

Extend my arguments.
Dark-Ninja

Pro

Dark-Ninja forfeited this round.
losedotexe

Con

My opponent forfeited this debate ; extend my arguments through this last round.

Point break down
_______________

Conduct : Con ; Pro missed 4 rounds.
S&G : Con ; Pro failed to post more than 2 sentences, in addition to improper capitalization.
Argument : Con ; Pro provided no arguments.
Sources : Con ; Pro provided no sources.
Posted by SeanMcDue 5 years ago
SeanMcDue
Has anyone heard of the documentary Burke and Hare the Body Merchants? I would like to see it and was wondering if it was similar to the recent Burke and Hare (2010) movie.
Posted by KatelynnChambers 6 years ago
KatelynnChambers
What a complete and utter fool. Why initiate a debate with an intriguingly disturbing opener, then just flee when someone takes it seriously? Pfff.
Posted by Chrysippus 6 years ago
Chrysippus
DN appears to have disappeared utterly. He's forfeiting his debate with Mirza, too.
Posted by losedotexe 6 years ago
losedotexe
I hope you can put up some arguments, Dark-Ninja, I Was rather interested in your argument :/
Vote Placed by EllieP 6 years ago
EllieP
Dark-NinjalosedotexeTied
Vote Placed by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
Dark-NinjalosedotexeTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Dark-NinjalosedotexeTied
Vote Placed by SOFTero 6 years ago
SOFTero
Dark-NinjalosedotexeTied