edibleshrapnel
wdywfm

Serial Rapists and Murderers should be subjected to capital punishment.

edibleshrapnel

Pro

Criminal scum like serial rapist or murderers almost always have something wrong with them. Because of mental instability, they are declared innocent because they we're not "thinking in the right mind" when committing a crime, and to me that's absolute rubbish.
These people have no positive effect on a functioning society, so why do we send them to jail to rot for the rest of their lives? Honestly, I wish I know, It's simply unreasonable. Our prisons are already being overcrowded, and out of a survey undertaken by the British Ministry of Justice, 60% of short-term prison sentence offenders that committed crimes will re-offend, showing the hole in the reasoning that jail "corrects" poor social behaviour. Having me and my conscience think about past deeds makes me learn nothing. Capital punishment should be brought back to straiten up those who challenge the authority of the law, to remind those that taking a human life while lucid will result in you losing your life. Family's are never really satisfied when a murderer who killed a loved goes to jail for 20 years. Eventually, he will be free again, and whether he has a change of heart or not, he will be able to commit more crimes, and ultimately the the family who was wronged will not be completely satisfied. I believe jail should be reserved for major first-time convicts, those who have been to jail and committed a crime yet again have shown they cannot correct their ways and should no longer linger in our functioning society.

Sources, The Economist, The UK Express, ICPS
wdywfm

Con

I believe that most people that commit crimes such as murder have mental problems that can be solved with the help of therapy. Now while killing them off might seem like a good idea due to the positive effects that it will have on prison occupancy, it is still not a good solution. The chemicals that are used to give the death penalty have extremely high costs so the firing squad will be put into place. After one person goes through killing someone who can't even control their actions due to mental deficits they themselves will have mental problems of their own. I just think that therapy to these criminals is the best solution to the problem at hand.
edibleshrapnel

Pro

Therapy? So we're going to attempt to reconciliate families with loved ones murdered by giving therapy to serial Rapists and Murderers? What about all the Serial Rapist and Murderers who aren't mentally challenged? What do you suggest we do with them?
wdywfm

Con

Honestly if the family of the victim seriously wants someone to put to death because it will help with their loss then they should get some help. My family went through a tragic loss of my uncle two years ago due to a drunk driver. In court I asked if we could put him through rehab, because he was an alcoholic, and the judge agreed to it for six months and if he didn't change he would go to jail. Four months later he completely stopped drinking and reunited with his two sons. As of today he is in the community college getting a bachelors degree in business and works at our local bank. Even though I can never fully forgive him for the pain he has caused my family I wouldn't want him put to death. As for the serial killers without mental issues, which the number of is very few, I believe they should receive jail time and in jail we can put them to work doing jobs that aren't desirable to the general public.
edibleshrapnel

Pro

Seriously? Serial rapist and murderers who are just ***holes without mental disorders should go to jail? Perhaps you forgot said serial offender has raped 3 people. People with a Lack of consideration for the law, and lack of consideration for past offences, should be either, killed, or put away for a VERY long time, the latter is already in place and eventually those people get out, unless they are serving multiple life sentences.

Im going to be honest, long term prison sentences are completely unfair and unjust. I rather die then spend my life in a small cell, eating the same food, doing the same activities, and seeing the same people. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that caused Serial rapists and Murderers to go harm more people! And your example of this drunk driver guy. That is completely irrelevant, because you state him as a first time offenders, and a drunk driver. The severity of rape and murder is greater then drunk driving, But if said person had repeatedly drunk drived, and been sentenced for it, and fails to acknowledge the law, then should he be executed.

Remember, Arguments are only valid in this debate depending on severity of crime, and number of times re-offended.
wdywfm

Con

Concerning your confusion about the last example I used and it's relevancy to the topic, I was trying to get you to see the positive results that therapy and rehab can have. Also I think that you have a little too much of a personal hate on this topic to be participating in this argument, but that's just my conclusion of your personality as I am an intern of a psychoanalyst. You said that you would rather be put to death than be put in jail, this is just your opinion and provides nothing to what we are discussing because criminals don't get to choose their punishment. I just want to end this quickly because I haven't enjoyed hearing your biased and opinion based input. It is a better solution to put serial rapists and murderers in therapy rather than putting them to death because of the reasons previously stated in rounds one and two. Also I don't really understand what you said in your last section so I can't really come back at it.
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Serial Rapists and Murderers are rarely innocent out of all accounts they were convicted in.
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
Furthermore, this assumes that we are always right about who is guilty.

Many, many, many people are wrongfully convicted every year. And some of them get released later in their lives when it is found that they are innocent. If we just slaughtered all suspected guilties, these people would have no chance in life.