Sermon Challenge

==Sermon Challenge==

This is how this is going to work. Each debater will deliver a sermon about a assigned topic in each round. The following topics include:

Round 2: God's Amazing Love
Round 3: The Need for Salvation
Round 4: The Holy Spirit

(a) Whoever accepts this debate must be a Christian, as stated on their homepage. I do not want to debate a Jew, Hindu, Atheist, etc.
(b) We are delivering sermons on the Christian god and no other religion/god may be mentioned.
(c) In every round/sermon there must be at least three scriptures.

==Rules of Conduct==
(a) It is not okay to attack the sermon your opponent gave, failure to do this will result in immediate loss of the conduct vote.
(b) No sources should be given, if sources are given than the person who gave the sources lose the sources vote.
(c) In the event that there are no sources, the vote for sources should be given to the side you agreed with the most.

Thank you, and I look forward to this debate.

i shall let you have the next round. Good luck.

Round 1: God's Amazing Love

Who do love? You may love your husband, your wife, your boyfriend, your girlfriend, your sister, your brother, your mother, your father. Whoever you love the most in the world, I want you to make a picture of that person in your head. How would you feel if that person went through an extreme amount of pain? Let's suppose the following thing is happening.

You have a bucket of cockroaches. You love those cockroaches. However, these cockroaches are evil, and are destined on a road of destruction. You love those cockroaches, but if you don't intervene, they will die. What are you to do? Would you sacrifice the person you love the most to become a cockroach, and eventually die for those cockroaches? Most of us would not.

However, this is what God did. God created this world. Since God is all knowing, he knew that these humans would abandon him and become evil. So what does God do? He created them anyway, and they disown him. Millenniums later, he sends his only son, Jesus, to die for the forgiveness of our sins on a cross. One scripture sums it up:

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, and whoever believes in him should never die, but have eternal life".

God sent his one and only son to be mocked, scorned, and killed so that humans, cockroaches, could join him in heaven after their death. Humans can only begin to fathom that. We are all sinners. We are like a spider, or some other disgusting insect, that we hold over a fire. We deserve nothing more than to be cast into the fire, to spend eternity in Hell, to be cut off from God forever.

Why would God do such a thing? Why would he save our souls?

The scripture in 1 John 4:7-8 explains:

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love is of God. He who loves is born of God, and knows God. He who does not love, does not know God. For God is Love"

God is love. St. Thomas Aquinas once stated that every comparative property have a maximum. We say things like warm, hot, hotter, and hottest, but the maximum of heat is fire. This means that all heat comes from fire. Well, similarly, all love is of God, for God is love himself.

He who loves is a reflection of God.

If God is love, than he cannot hate. For love and hate are not compatible. He loves us all, no matter if we're red, or yellow, black, or white, we are precious in his sight.

God loves us so much that his son died for us.

The end.

Gods amazing Love.

Who among you is a sinner? Who among you have lied, cheated or stole? None of us are without the burden of Sin. Nor will our burden ever be released. Any of us are capable of sinning now, and forever more in the future. So how can anyone trust a liar? A cheater? Such as in the Parable of the Fig tree, one cannot go against his nature.

Yet, trust is the foundation for Love. Each of us are love, and are loved by others. If we cannot be trusted, how can we be loved? The answer is simple. "But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever". As long as our trust in the spirit of God and his unfailing Ability to love us, do we continue to love, and be loved, by Him.

Many doubt whether Gods love is upon them. It is especially hard, since both the temptation of Sin and the harsh reality is so prevalent amongst the world. However, Gods love can be seen anywhere. In the nice man across the street who bent to pick up the cane that was dropped. In the teenager who volunteers his weekends at the shelter. At the park, where a complete stranger offers his meal to a homeless. " But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth." Deeds are what represent Gods love, and through them, do we recognize the love of God and His presence within our world.

I am reminded of a Joke, once told to me. A young man was standing atop the roof of a house, water quickly rising around him in a devastating flood. A rescue Boat comes along and asks whether he needs help, and the young man answers, "I have faith that God will save me". As a Helicopter and a plane come along, the young mans answer was the same. When the water finally reached such severity that he drowned, he was sent to heaven, where he asked God why He didnt save the young man. God replied, "I tried to save you! i sent you a boat, a helicopter and a plane, and you refused them all!"

Weve all heard of this joke, im sure. But the truth behind it, is simple. God sends his miracles everyday. He sends His love every day. And His means are through the deeds of men.

God loves every one of us. Only by placing our trust in that love, can we start to understand and recognize Gods love. "Nor is anyone excluded from that love. "Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? And yet not one of them is forgotten before God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are of more value than many sparrows.". God has shown that he loves each and every one of us, regardless. All we have to do is recognize that love, and accept it.

I really don't have the time to delve into a full attack this round, I will post both sermons in the next round.

I hand it back over to my opponent.

To make it fair ill also hand it over to the next round.

Republican95 forfeited this round.

My opponent has decided to forfeit this. In order to make this fair, as i have broken a few rules as well, i shall also not type my last two sermons.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago

Not a debate. It had zero potential to even be interesting, because there would be zero conflict.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
The instigator forfeiting two rounds is a worse conduct violation that Con's accepting despite not being a Christian. Con did not depart from the role of a Christian, so he wasn't sabotaging the actual debate.
Posted by tkubok 7 years ago
Well, ive already agreed to take this debate as a christian, so i cant really find much problem. And my opponent has also agreed to do this debate as well. I dont think my argument for round 2 was in any way atheist, either.

But just as a side note, isnt referencing the bible... referencing? Also, i can only find 2 scripture passage, unless you accept the "God is love" as a scripture reference.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Agreed Roy; Biblically speaking, I don't think the term "lovable roaches" is applicable at all; after all, roaches can't be 'saved', as the phrase goes. Also, that whole "All heat comes from fire" thing is a bit of a fail.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
Accepting the debate accepts the conditions, so I think it is a conduct violation to accept under false pretenses. However, vigorous shoveling by Con may overcome the handicap.

I'm already having trouble with the lovable cockroaches metaphor ...
Posted by tkubok 7 years ago
Sorry Republican95, but i couldnt resist. I used to be a christian, i use to belong to a christian group, etc. So i know how to make sermons. Just wanted to try, to see if i could after all these years of being an immoral baby eating atheist.

And dont worry. Just for this debate, I shall wear my bible glasses, put on my bible hat, and slip into my Bible robe.
Posted by Republican95 7 years ago
I just think that it is kind of impolite to do this kind of thing tkubok, however, I will still debate you. However, not let your atheism show through or I will make a fuss about it.
Posted by tkubok 7 years ago
This is the price someone pays to make a debate open.

If you want to debate someone of a specific religion or ethnicity, you should challenge someone directly. Otherwise, an open debate is open to anyone.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago

(a) Whoever accepts this debate must be a Christian, as stated on their homepage. I do not want to debate a Jew, Hindu, Atheist, etc."

From your profile:
"Religion: Atheist"
"Beliefs: Atheist."

(dot dot dot)
Posted by tkubok 7 years ago
I shalz win this debate and show you guys how much god loves us.
Vote Placed by untitled_entity 7 years ago
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago