countrylover
ruth421963

Sex Ed. In School..are you For or Against?

Con Tied Pro

countrylover

Con

I am against sex ed in school....kids are going to school to learn about math,science,civics..ect...not about sex...they dont need to be learning something they shouldnt be getting into...drivers ed is for peaple who are ready to drive...the law says that under 18 is a minor and should not be having sex...let sex ed be some collodge class or something after the person is 18..would that be so wrong?..does sex have to be shoved into there face and condom machines distributed in the schools?...that sends the wrong message to the kids that he/she is old enough to have sex...some will say..Oh the more education they get on it..the better off they will be......how is that?....talking about it will just make the kid wanna try it out more...there is a time and place for things....school is not a place to talk and teach about sex....I heard a person say to me one time that if a kids knows about sex..that the kid wont get into sex...thats a pretty lame statement...if a kid was going to have sex he or should would do so..rather or not there was sex ed....and the kid wouldnt need sex ed to teach him something he/she should naturally know as they grow up...dont think that this is only a high school matter...kids in the 3rd grade are bieng taught sex ed!!....come on....there is no reason to talk about or teach about sex to a elementry student..Period!
ruth421963

Pro

We require more sex ed now.
Our children need to realize
what they are getting into.
We need to offer them all
the insight and tools we have.
If we fail our children this
very concept of "safer sex"
it is a win/win.
How can one deny to educate our
children, we have a few concepts
that may help our children in self
respect and love. This is a course
we have all been waiting on.
If more parents{as I did with my
two sons..yrs ago}, informed them,
they will utilize what they have learned.
That is our job as parents, school boards
just to name a few.
This is something that MUST BE TAUGHT NOW.
If we want a wiser future..education has and
will always be thee light.
countrylover

Con

I don't feel it takes a course in school to teach a person how to have safe sex if me or you was around a kid im sure there are better things to talk about then intercourse....kids arent as stupid as some adults put them to be...accualy there wiser nowadays..I never needed sex ed....i knew what sex was and the risk of having it..i didnt need a book to tell me...there learning more at a earlier age...and as for the comment "Lsav" put...(speaking to him)..if 2 14year olds are totally allowed by law to have sex...then I guess you learn something evryday..but teens are not stupid...they dont need to have sex to learn about the risk and varies thing to learn....i just dont feel that it needs shoved in the faces of the boys and girls in school....if peaple go so much in protecting Sex Ed and feel kids should learn about it and have a class on it...dont cover your mouth in shock when the kid talks about it or wants to experience it.
ruth421963

Pro

Hey hi,
CL you make SEX sound sooo bad.
Kids are going to have it with or
without your blessings.
I feel we should give all KIDS
thee chance to lower{yeah lower std's
and unwanted births}.
It seems so unheard of to
hold back any knowledge from
our children.
If time has taught us any-
thing---we need to teach our
children. They need that much
from us as parents. If they are
taught now then can feel the
difference between Lust and love
{we can only hope on that one}.
Please open your mind, just a bit.
Thanks and regards to a wiser tomorrow.
countrylover

Con

yes..i know there going to have sex with or without are approval...but you cant take a negative thing and make it positive only cause its popular....drugs are popular too...but they dont need a class in school about drugs!....and if they was to of never started a sex ed class and got peaple started on that...so many peaple wouldnt be led to think it was important to have...a person can know about drugs and the negatives of it...they dont HAVE to have a class to go to in school teaching them its bad and why its bad...they can get that info outside of school..and the same goes for sex.....if parents were parenting..they wouldnt expect the schools to teach and tell there kids evrything.
ruth421963

Pro

This is why we can't get our own troops from
the mess Bush{one & two} have made. We really
need to debate this issue? I'm shocked I have
feed back on it.
We should take Sex Ed a few steps ahead.
Allow these kids to earn a grade{not an
option} to babysit or spend time interacting
with toddlers{naturally heavily supervised}.
I can safely say If I had to DO THAT, my two
sons would NEVER have arrived at 18 & 21. This
is from a woman{female that never wanted children}
so I could have learned a lot here.
We as a thinking mind, need to re arrange some
peoples ideas on life and knowledge, I'm still
blown away it is here on this age old topic.
Stop wasting time and get a drug/drinking
class in place. Let us give them all the
insight and horrific videos they showed the
class of 1980 and under. No, it may not stop
50 of them, if we can wake up the "push
overs" at least 5 kids, we have parented our
schools as well as homes.
Regards and please keep those minds open.
Miss Ruth A. Marland
Posted by adamh 9 years ago
adamh
I think that the issue is not the schools having sex ed classes, it should be about teaching the children from an early age that abstinence is the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancy and diseases. By instilling morals in the children at an impressionable age there will be a smaller chance of them leading a care-free sex life down the road.
Posted by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
Yes. We need a comprehensive sex education course in school. We also need a course on drug use.

And there's no law against teens under the age of 18 having sex. There's a law against people over 18 having sex with individuals who are not. As far as sleeping with people goes, the restriction is on the rights of people over 18 not under. As far as the law goes if you're under 18 you can legally have sex with any willing partner, though they might not be able to legally have sex with you.

Also, studies have shown that sex ed reduces teen pregnancy and STDs. Whereas abstinence only sex ed does absolutely nothing. It boils down to considerable harm for no reason what so ever, except people want to stick their fingers in their ears and deny the most basic truths known to man: teens have sex. -- Abstinence only sex education is child abuse. Letting kids out in today's culture uninformed and ignorant is abuse. It's unduly harmful for really sketchy reasons. You'd rather believe lies than protect children.

*sigh*
Posted by RDJORD 9 years ago
RDJORD
I find the argument against sex education quite ridiculous. Kids are going to learn about sex regardless. They can either learn it from their parents and the school in a responsible way, or they can learn it through television, movies, songs (half of the crappy hip hop songs now are about sex), and "locker room talk."

The argument that "what kids don't know about sex won't hurt them" is ridiculous. Abstience may work for some people, but it won't work for everybody. And since we know some kids are going to have sex regardless, don't you think it would be wise to give them information that would prevent an STD or a pregnancy.

Also, my first "sex ed" class in was in 5th grade and it lasted for about a week. It wasn't graphic and teachers weren't giving out condoms to 11 year olds. I don't even know where you heard the condom machines from, I've never seen or heard of anything like that.
Posted by Nanners 9 years ago
Nanners
I believe that Sex ed should be in classes and agree weather it be 3rd grade or 12th it still needs to be taught i would rather know the effects STD's and Pregnancy can have on me then to be totally clueless. That's like saying i'm going to marry someone without knowing who they are or where they come from. I know that if i didn't know anything about sex i would want to be just like everyone else but now that i know of STD's and Teen pregnancy and birth control and condoms it makes a different picture i still want to stay away from sex but now that i know what can happen it opens new doors just the same i learn something knew in history class every day and it helps me more and more so the more i know about sex and things invovled with it it will help me when i finally do decide to "do it"
Posted by countrylover 9 years ago
countrylover
oh please..don't come off like its some innocent thing and that its "teaching" and "helping".....sex ed is some new thing...they didnt have or need sex ed years ago and they dont need it now....they dont need a class to teach them how to keep there pants on.....and if you think that teaching them will make them make better decisions....Look!...It Aint!..you think std might stop them?..nope....if someone is lustfull and wants sex they wont care about "info" cause they know they can get std's from it and they still choose to take the risk...all a sex ed class does is tell the kids and teens that its ok to go out and sleep around.....you may say...well the parents might not talk about sex at the home.....my responce?..So What!!.....they dont need to hear about it...some things peaple natually dont need to learn.....why is it that they are more strict on drivers ed then sex ed?....they know to wait till a decent time to teach them about driving and put them behind a wheel and know that there is no reason to teach them drivers ed in elementry school or when they should be drinving..ect....but they need to throw sex ed down there throat?...its over rated..peaple are led to think that somehow that sex ed will stop or help prevent there kids from having sex or whatever....it only take a few minutes to let someone know that they can get std'd from having sex....it only take a simple talk with a gal to let her know she can get pregnant if she has sex....it doesnt take a class to tell them that
Posted by Lsav 9 years ago
Lsav
countrylover,

reading your previous debates, I find it hypocritical that you are against abortion, but also against providing people with information on how they can avoid finding themselves in a situation that might require an abortion. If you want people to make educated decisions and NOT have to seek an abortion, then you should do your best to provide people with information that would help then avoid having to make such choices. 99% of the population is going to have sex at some point in their life and every single one of those people is required by law to go to school until age 16. The most effective way to ensure these people protect themselves is to give them the resources through mandatory sex education. You say that kids are not "as dumb as people think they are" but then why are there still so many unwanted pregnancies every year? I can say personally that without sex-ed I would have never known about the birth control pill or where to get it because sex is just a taboo topic in my family.
Posted by hattopic 9 years ago
hattopic
In the con's round one he claimed that children in 3rd grade were being taught sex-ed. Is this true? I first learned about it in 6th grade. And even then the curriculum was more scientific than anything else. It was mostly things like this:

Males produce sperm
Females produce eggs
When the two join the female becomes pregnant.

It really didn't get into the details of how that happened. Even if the courses are being taught in 3rd grade I don't see the problem. The point of the early courses are simply to inform children about the biological processes that are necessary for our species survival.
Posted by shlh1514 9 years ago
shlh1514
I think that sex ed. should be taught due to the same reason the debate existes kids don't know what their getting into. People think that they will never die, but STD'S and AIDS is what kills people.
Posted by Lsav 9 years ago
Lsav
There is no law that states that someone under the age of 18 is too young to have sex. Sex is a personal decision that someone makes when they personally feel ready. It doesn't matter if you make that decision at 13 or 18 or 45 for that matter. Schools are there to educate children in all walks of life... to teach kids to be better citizens. If you restrict sex education to the home and to college, then you significantly decrease the number of people who can benefit from information on how to protect themselves from disease and unwanted pregnancy. The truth is that regardless of whether or not you teach it in your schools, an overwhelming majority of the population is going to have sex at some point in life. It's better that when they make that decision, they know their options and how to protect themselves. Educated individuals make educated decisions, if people know the risks and options available to them, it better ensures people will protect themselves and their partners in the long-run.
Posted by ruth421963 9 years ago
ruth421963
I can't think of ANY GOOD
that can come of {keeping
sex out of thee schools}.
I realize kids are going to
have sex with or without school.
We can utilize school as a tool.
If it means handing out "safer sex"
learn more HERE..hell yeah.
Att eh very least you will have
kids that have become so much wiser.
Kids start becoming sexually active
as young as 12 yrs old. Naturally that
is far too young.
I feel we as a society need to show
the kids "the good, thee bad & thee ugly".
If we choose to fail our children here--
why bother sending them to school. Aside
of "very unsafe sex & drugs--they are lucky
to be learning anything".
We need more sex ed NOW.....Slow these kids down.
This wont do it alone{parents need to interact as I
did yrs ago with my two sons.}.
Keep sex ed in the schools......
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by BadBoi 9 years ago
BadBoi
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by BornDebater 9 years ago
BornDebater
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by LandonWalsh 9 years ago
LandonWalsh
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by countrylover 9 years ago
countrylover
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by charlie139 9 years ago
charlie139
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by zuc704 9 years ago
zuc704
countryloverruth421963Tied
Vote Placed by sqharawa 9 years ago
sqharawa
countryloverruth421963Tied