DirtRoadAnthem
headphonegut

Sex Education Shoud be Taught Rather Than Abstinence Only

DirtRoadAnthem

DirtRoadAnthem

Pro

I will be arguing Pro, in that Sex Education is more beneficial to the student in that it will allow for a safer and healthier life-style. Con will be arguing the opposite that Abstinence only programs are more beneficial to the students.
Abstinence-only sex education is defined as "a form of sex education that emphasizes abstinence from sex, and often excludes many other types of sexual and reproductive health education, particularly regarding birth control and safe sex."

Sex Education will be defined as a term used to describe education about human sexual anatomy, sexual reproduction, sexual intercourse, reproductive health, emotional relations, reproductive rights and responsibilities, abstinence, contraception, and other aspects of human sexual behavior.
Beneficial is defined as "conferring benefit; advantageous; helpful"
http://dictionary.reference.com...
headphonegut

Con

I must say thank you for this debate. I do enjoy how you defined abstinence making it a form of sex education. I have one question for you how can I debate that a form of sex education is better than sex education? ( But I'll be doing exactly that)

Intro: For the Aff. to win this debate my opponent must prove that sex education " will allow for a safer and healthier life-style," so I suppose my opponent's argument will be that if you are better informed on the diseases when or while having sex you will use protection that is inconclusive on whether it (protection) works or not. Diseases such as HIV, chlamydia, Genital herpes, genital warts, gonorrhea, hepatitis A/B/C, syphilis, AIDS, trichomonas vaginalis, bacterial vaginosis, thrush, scabies, crabs, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, CMV, Trich, PID, HPV, NGU, etc. of course these are just a few disease that can be spread during sex being informed about them doesn't stop the spreading of diseases. If the reason for teaching sex education is because " it will allow for a safer and healthier life-style," then that argument is moot; instead teach a form of safe sex called abstinence which you simply don't have sex thereby allowing for a safer and healthier life-style.

C1-Before I go on I must point out the oddness in defining "Abstinence" as " a form of sex education that emphasizes ABSTINENCE from sex," I have to say that defining a word using the same word that logic escapes me. While some teens are not afraid of a bad reputation for haEcving sex others are, they don't want to be that kid, in which case being that kid would cause them depression and so would be a detriment to their health that's why being abstinent doesn't cause depression which help live a healthier life style. Having safe sex might cause pregnancy that not very healthy for a teen; you have school, extra curricular activities, AP exams, honors programs, house problems, etc. So in which case the person pregnant might not be able to deal with pregnancy which does not cause a safe and healthy life style. Couples who wait to have sex are more likely to not have a divorce and more likely to have better and safer sex. Abstinence is cheap and no side effects. It is a better and healthier choice.

C2 - In Uganda there was about to be an AIDS epidemic they used an ABC program abstinence, be faithful, and condoms. Granted their were C's but what helped these people was monogamy and abstinence. They went from 21% in 1991 to 6% in 2000 thanks to abstaining from sex before marriage and abstaining from sex outside marriage.
While sex education might be realistic abstinence cause for a safer and healthier life style.

again thank you for this debate sorry for my lateness
DirtRoadAnthem

Pro

I will be arguing that sex education, (teaching about condom usage, other forms of birth control, and safe sex techniques) will provide a healthier life style and provide one with a firmer base of knowledge about sex and all forms of sexual contact.
While my opponent is correct that I feel in sex education one is taught about the countless STD's that can be transmitted during sexual intercourse, he failed to realize that it is not just informing about the disease and what it is, but also how to protect yourself from the disease. Within safe sex education courses, one learns how to go about having sex in a way that is as safe as possible. Students learn to be tested, and have their partner tested for these diseases. Students also learn, that if they have these diseases, safe ways to have sex as to not transmit the disease, mainly through condom use, and or other forms of contraception. Abstinence only program do not teach about testing or contraception. All that is taught in abstinence only programs is "Don't have sex until your married". This provides o knowledge on how to be safe, if your partner has had previous partners and may have one of the numerous diseases my opponent mentioned. There is no knowledge of safety passed in abstinence only programs, and this can lead to unhealthy life styles.
"While some teens are not afraid of a bad reputation for haEcving sex others are, they don't want to be that kid, in which case being that kid would cause them depression and so would be a detriment to their health that's why being abstinent doesn't cause depression which help live a healthier life style. Having safe sex might cause pregnancy that not very healthy for a teen; you have school, extra curricular activities, AP exams, honors programs, house problems, etc. So in which case the person pregnant might not be able to deal with pregnancy which does not cause a safe and healthy life style." Although this paragraph is very choppy and somewhat difficult to understand I believe the main points from this are that some teens feel they will have a bad reputation for having sex, which may cause depression, which would be a detriment to ones health. Another point within the argument is that having safe sex may cause pregnancy, which would not be healthy for teens, being that they have countless school activities such as AP classes, athletics, extra curricular activities, and home issues, which would cause countless problems for the young adult. Although these are valid statements, in that pregnancy would complicate a youths schooling, and that being a person singled out and made to feel awkward, this does not really provide any argument as to why abstinence only education is better, and safe sex education is inferior. Having safe sex would not single out a child, thus preventing the depression my opponent discussed. Safe sex education may actually do the opposite, in that if a person wants to have sex, they can go to a more experienced person and talk about how to protect themselves and obtain the necessary contraception. Also, Safe sex education tells that sex is part of nature and no one should be embarrassed about it, especially when buying contraception, thus safe sex education may actually create a sense of relief within the students. If a student does become pregnant, then the sex they had may not have been safe sex. Condoms are proven to be 99% effective, and when used with another form of contraception, such as birth control, pregnancies are pretty much impossible. Safe sex education educates about these two forms of contraception, and how to use them properly, where abstinence only does not. If a person who learned abstinence only, wanted to have sexual intercourse for the first time, odds are they would not know about condoms or birth control, making the experience one in which pregnancy is a lot more likely to occur. I feel that this will not be a healthy lifestyle.

"In Uganda there was about to be an AIDS epidemic they used an ABC program abstinence, be faithful, and condoms. Granted their were C's but what helped these people was monogamy and abstinence. They went from 21% in 1991 to 6% in 2000 thanks to abstaining from sex before marriage and abstaining from sex outside marriage.
While sex education might be realistic abstinence cause for a safer and healthier life style."
Safe sex education does also teach about abstinence(look to definition of sex education), so this method i believe would be a safe sex method, especially because there was the "C" in the method, which was condom. And the percentages, are these percents of AID's cases, and is the information provided not based on a third factor, which may be the mortality of the people from the poll given in 1991, creating the dip in the stats. Are the percents of new cases or cases overall?

Abstinence only provides no education, and no knowledge about sex. Sex is seen as taboo, and something only married people do, and is used for procreation. Safe sex education, provides a foundation for wise choices, and allows for those who are ready to experience a wonderful bond in a relationship, and allows for those who have sexual intercourse to be safe while doing so. These individuals who learn sex education will have the knowledge to stay disease free, and enjoy the sexual experience, in a healthy and safe way, leading to healthy and safe lives.
headphonegut

Con

I have a question does knowing about disease's prevent them?

Intro: My opponent said "one learns how to go about having sex in a way that is as safe as possible," well that sounds like a concession if I ever heard one, so there is risks when having "safe sex" though all the protection one won't ever be fully protected and therefore they won't be safe, thus they might not lead a safer and healthy life style. I object to the students learn to be tested part most teens won't show up to a clinic and say hey I need a couple tests for HIV/AIDS and several of the afore mentioned diseases. Then the conversation with their sex partner hey I want you to get tested for diseases or hey you gave me AIDS I'm sure teens are just dying to get in line for tests that will confirm their worst fears, and by the by fear is a great motivator it's the main cause why teens don't get tested of course until it's too late.

C1- The reason my opponent has place on teaching sex education rather than abstinence is because its more beneficial to the student in that it will allow for a safer and healthier life style but my opponent does not have any anecdotal evidence nor any statistics proving this, so it falls to common sense the best way to be healthy and safe when you're a teenager is to not have sex.

C2 - "Although this paragraph is very choppy and somewhat difficult to understand I believe the main points from this are that some teens feel they will have a bad reputation for having sex, which may cause depression, which would be a detriment to ones health. Another point within the argument is that having safe sex may cause pregnancy, which would not be healthy for teens, being that they have countless school activities such as AP classes, athletics, extra curricular activities, and home issues, which would cause countless problems for the young adult. Although these are valid statements, in that pregnancy would complicate a youths schooling, and that being a person singled out and made to feel awkward, this does not really provide any argument as to why abstinence only education is better, and safe sex education is inferior." If a person becomes pregnant even though they were taught sex education then her partner or her parents might want her to marry then she would drop out of school to care for the baby, then her partner would drop out of school to support her then the baby would grow up in a home where both adults were thrown together because of principles or some sort of misplaced feeling of self righteousness, said baby would then grow up in a "broken home" then he/she might grow up as a gang banger or rapist or murderer take a pick.
DirtRoadAnthem

Pro

Knowing about disease obviously does not prevent disease, but knowing you have a disease can help prevent it from spreading. It is the power of knowledge which can help one lead a healthy life, and help prevent you from receiving an STD, not just knowing. Never once was it stated that knowing about the disease presents it, the direct quote would be, "...it is not just informing about the disease and what it is, but also how to protect yourself from the disease. Within safe sex education courses, one learns how to go about having sex in a way that is as safe as possible. Students learn to be tested, and have their partner tested for these diseases. Students also learn, that if they have these diseases, safe ways to have sex as to not transmit the disease, mainly through condom use, and or other forms of contraception." Clearly stated it is knowing about the disease and prevention methods that will help not spread the disease, not merely and blatantly knowing will prevent.
As for statistical and or anecdotal evidence, one fact about condom usage would be that "When used correctly, a male condom is about 98 per cent effective."
as for people who solely rely on birth control pills, about 8% become pregnant in the course of a year, so when combining the two methods, (Condoms and birth control pills) pregnancies are virtually obsolete. and although this debate is not a debate on which method prevents pregnancy, which my opponent is providing evidence for, clearly when using birth control pills and male condoms, and even adding a third contraceptive if one can, then pregnancies are pretty much impossible.

"If a person becomes pregnant even though they were taught sex education then her partner or her parents might want her to marry then she would drop out of school to care for the baby, then her partner would drop out of school to support her then the baby would grow up in a home where both adults were thrown together because of principles or some sort of misplaced feeling of self righteousness, said baby would then grow up in a "broken home" then he/she might grow up as a gang banger or rapist or murderer take a pick." If we are going to allow such drastic cases, one may say that if the population learned abstinence only education, and they enjoyed abstinence and did not want to have sexual intercourse, ten there would be no procreation eventually leading to the end of civilization as we know it, and that would not be a healthy and or safe lifestyle, and actually would be the end of the human race as we know it. Now this is clearly an over-dramatic statement such as the one my opponent has given, but i suppose this is valid to the claim?

Safe sex education does also teach about abstinence(look to definition of sex education), so this method i believe would be a safe sex method, especially because there was the "C" in the method, which was condom. And the percentages, are these percents of AID's cases, and is the information provided not based on a third factor, which may be the mortality of the people from the poll given in 1991, creating the dip in the stats. Are the percents of new cases or cases overall?" I am still curious as to the reliability of these facts, and without clarification, I feel these statistics are irrelevant.

"Then the conversation with their sex partner hey I want you to get tested for diseases or hey you gave me AIDS I'm sure teens are just dying to get in line for tests that will confirm their worst fears," If you are a concerned person with your body, and you do want to be safe, and use the education gained from safe sex education, you will not be embarrassed or afraid to be tested. It is not embarrassing. This would be similar to a person saying "Nah I don't want to go for a cancer screening because I'm afraid." Fear is what will get you killed. If you are tested, and find out you do have AIDS, there are now medications that will help you live a lot longer, but i digress. If a person who learned safe sex education uses it properly, they would be tested prior to sexual intercourse, and if they did have intercourse without being tested, they would have used a condom, which is strongly advocated in any sex ed. course. The opponents example, I feel is invalid because those are individuals who clearly do not know the safe sex method.

As a closing statement I would just like to say that learning safe sex education will provide a healthier and safe lifestyle. Knowledge is power, and safe sex education provides the knowledge to protect yourself while abstinence only provides no knowledge other than "save yourself until marriage." With knowing safe sex education you are able to experience sexual intercourse, and share this intimacy with your significant other. you gain a strong personal bond with your significant other, which is obviously a great benefit. You learn how to take care of your body, by learning how to protect it from disease, to get yourself tested if you have a fear of being infected, and how not to get pregnant to the best of your ability. And yes I say to the best of your ability, because obviously abstinence is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy, but if you look do the definition of sexual education, abstinence is a component, not the sole component but a part none the less. Individuals learn how to be safe, (hence Safe Sex!), and how to have a healthy sex life.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk...
http://kidshealth.org...#

I would like to thank my opponent for a wonderful, interesting, and challenging debate, and I wish him luck on further debates!
headphonegut

Con

headphonegut forfeited this round.
Posted by Jillianl 6 years ago
Jillianl
Texas, last I checked teaches abstinence only sex ed. They also happen to have the highest rate of teen pregnancy, wonder how that happened???

Exactly Zyanya, preach it!

Abstinence only advocates have an agenda: it is more important for kids to follow the rules than to be healthy/safe.

No one who thinks critically about this thinks that every kid who hears about abstinence only is going to actually remain abstinent. If even ONE kid decides to have sex, then abstinence only has failed them, putting them at a much higher risk for pregnancy, disease, etc. I would much rather not risk even one kids' health in order to press my own personal ideologies . . .
Posted by Zyanya 6 years ago
Zyanya
At my school it was abstinence only school system and I don't think it changed the fact that teenagers were having sex at all. It just made them practice unsafe sex.
Posted by joshizinfamous 6 years ago
joshizinfamous
At my school they try to spoon feed Abstinence. I might accept this just for the sake of arguing and its a better topic that came up recently.
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
Perhaps I am alone here, however I have been taught safe sex education since 8th grade. My 8th Grade Health Class was actually fairly comprehensive on the subject. I also had to spend a day in my Sophomore year of High school in an intensive Sex Ed. class called "Sophomore Day."

I was under the impression that all schools taught safe sex education.
Vote Placed by Jillianl 6 years ago
Jillianl
DirtRoadAnthemheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Go pro! :D Good points!
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
DirtRoadAnthemheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.