Sex education in schools should be mandatory

Hello to anyone who wishes to accept this debate. I will be arguing that sex education in schools should be made mandatory, while my opponent will be arguing that it should be a choice.

Round 1: Acceptance only
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals and Conclusion

I look forward to this debate.

I accept the argument and am sure that I will enjoy debating with you. Proceed.

I would like to begin my thanking my opponent, Lt.Harris, for accepting my debate. It is a salient topic amongst the parents of many students like myself. In this debate, I shall be arguing that students should be required to have sex education whilst in school.

1. How will children find out about it?

I happen to have been misfortunate enough to not find out about how babies were made until I was in 6th grade, simply because my parents refused to teach me the concept. Because of this, I was simply kept in the dark. This put me at a disadvantage because I was the only one who had no idea what every individual was talking about.
I am also aware that many people are in the same predicament. By not being taught about sex, how would one find out? Most of the time, they wouldn't. Instead, they would be without knowledge of the real world. I wish for my opponent to tell me why it would be good for a child to be without knowledge of the real world.

2. How would children understand the dangers?

As I am sure my opponent is aware, sex has many dangers, including children, STDs, etc. What if a child was unaware of these dangers and decided to have sex, not knowing the consequences? There is a good change they would become a parent, obtain an STD, or both. To make a long story short, it would not end well. This scenario could have been avoided if the two individuals had been previously educated as to what dangers come with sexual activity.
This is a good reason to make sex education mandatory, for children should be forced to be into awareness of this topic. Without this awareness, STDs will only spread faster and poverty of homeless mothers will only increase. I wish for my opponent to tell my why this is a good thing.

3. There is no good reason to keep this from them

What would be the reason to keep this information from children? I cannot find one. However, there are many reasons not to keep it from them. Here are some facts:

1. More that 47% of students say they have had sex.
2. 15% have had sex with four or more partners
3. 3 in 10 girls will be pregnant before they are 20
4. These teenage pregnancies have resulted in $9.4 billion annually for child care

Though these people were aware of what sex is, they did not fully understand the consequences. The percentage would have been much lower if they had been more aware.

3. Sex is not gross

One of the reasons parents keep this from their children is because they believe sex to be gross, inappropriate, and vulgar. This, however, is false and is simply a bad reason. First of all, sex is a very natural occurrence. Secondly, it is a bad reason to keep facts from people. Though they are young, children have the right to know what goes on in the world around them. I wish for my opponent to tell me why it is a good idea to keep facts from children.

I have given my arguments as to why sex education should be mandatory. It is now time for my opponent to give his arguments as to why it should not be mandatory. I wait patiently for his arguments.

Works Cited

"State Policies on Sex Education in Schools." State Policies on Sex Education in Schools. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 May 2014. .

Lt.Harris forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeitted. This is a shame. I have nothing to refute, so this is all I must say.

1. Many children start out by learning from their parents. Parents often find it better to explain. 6th grade for you? I didn't learn til I was in 8th grade and I'm glad. Why? Because it isn't something we should involve ourselves with. Sure it could happen but sex isn't something that should be occuring or even really talked about by 6th graders especially since they generally don't even get the full scope of what they are saying. By increasing awareness of sex at the age of a 6th grader, they are too young to have the morality and maturity to truly understand the consequences over the benefits. I know VERY few 6th graders who, if having been taught about sex, would be able to differ when it would be good and when it would be bad simply because they don't have the maturity to understand and completely weigh the pros/cons.

2. I will not tell you why STDs spreading faster and poverty of homeless mothers will only increase is a good thing. It isn't but that won't be the cause. See, by the time most kids are 10-15, they have had either parents or friends explain about sex or they have found out. This goes back to earlier. If 6th graders don't have the maturity to know when it is right and wrong, then they will just themselves continue to increase the STD rate. I argue that without this awareness, STDs won't spread faster and poverty of homeless mothers won't increase.

3. I can find more than one.
*Many children (this is just a summary) won't have the maturity to keep from sex once they know all about it. We often say, "Oh, I know all about it so now I know how to not get hurt" and then we go ahead and get hurt. This is just one thing that will happen by mandatory sex education.
*Parents want to be able to teach their children these things often. While it is awkward for some parents, it is important that the parents explain it so the child will get the right idea. You could say, "What if that parent is a prostitue or a drug addict, etc." That is a good point but if we mandate sex education in schools, we could also directly violate certain religion principles of some people by teaching it that early.
*Finally, at least a few percentages of that 47% of students that had sex are most likely lying. It was a big thing in the 80s or 90s (don't remember which) where you were popular if you weren't a virgin and the same kind of thing happens today. Many people will say it just because it makes them special and such. Second, sex education can help that number increase. If you tell them how not to get hurt, they could go ahead and take measures to not get hurt and then, because those measures were taken, find it OK to have sex since nobody would get hurt by it.

4 (you numbered your last point wrong). I agree. Sex is not gross. But parents should have the option to withold that information, especially since some religions don't want that taught at such a young age. There are many ways for it to be "not gross". It is unfortunate how that is seen but many parents will feel as if schools went behind their back to teach this information that they don't want taught. Sex is not inherently gross but much of what we see today has made it so. Porn, prostitution, etc have made it vulgar. By increasing that knowledge, kids will want to start "seeing" so to say or even doing themselves. This is harmful to them as schools won't teach that porn is bad, thus kids will go ahead and watch it, causing problems in morality.

Overall, while sex education is important, it shouldn't be mandatory in schools. Parents need to have the right to say yes or no. The younger kids get when knowing this stuff, the lower their maturity is, increasing the chance they will have sex simply because they didn't understand how STDs could affect them or they are just to young to truly care and think that the NOW world is the only world that matters.
Vote Placed by WilliamsP 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had better conduct due to Con's forfeiture. Spelling and grammar and convincing arguments are tied because both debaters did well. Finally, Pro used sources, unlike Con, thus giving him the points for that.
Vote Placed by Christian_Debater 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is a tie because nobody swore, etc. Spelling and grammar was a tie because both were pretty much the same. Most convincing arguments goes to Con. He makes a great point that I personally agree with that they would get a false sense of safety from the sex education and therefore would be more likely to do it. Moreover, Pro did make good arguments but at the same time, his statistics are from places - from my understanding - that have been teaching sex education. That just proves Con's point more in my opinion. As for most reliable sources, I gave it to Pro because he was the only person to cite anything.
Vote Placed by Comrade_Silly_Otter 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was the only one to post an source. I was also swayed when Con denied it wouldn't spread STD's and poverty, and simply swatted it away. Along with the 1 forfeit, which would of been used to post arguments, which would of allowed Pro to post counter as well.