WilliamsP
DonWon

Sex education should be mandatory in schools.

DonWon

WilliamsP

Pro

I will argue that sexual education should be thaught at all schools, not only in the United States, but in schools in every single country. I believe that sexual education in schools will be a great reminder of the responsibility you must have. Discussions with your parents at dinner aren't enough.

I look forward to debating anyone who does not agree with my view. However, I would like to implement some crucial rules before we begin:

1. If there are any sources used, they must be cited correctly. However, sources are not required to make a solid argument.

2. Proper grammar and spelling will be used.

3. Respect and proper conduct will be implemented.

I will begin making my argument in the next round. Again, I look forward to debating this topic.
DonWon

Con

This probably won't be the strongest argument, but it should not be mandatory and overall isn't necessary. Firstly, it's something that is already taught to people through their parents. With your parents, they know the type of person you are. They know whether or not you feel comfortable with the topic, and they can adjust accordingly. Not to mention, as far as the responsibility in having sex goes, parents have a better time explaining since they've already experienced this before. They also know the proper age in which you are to be told about the birds and the bees. Second, I don't think that students will feel very comfortable learning about this topic through their teachers, but I'll discuss more in detail about why in the second round. Your turn! :D
WilliamsP

Pro

DonWon, I must say, I am opposed to your view. I have a sophisticated argument supporting my view:

Parents/Guardians don't always fulfill their duties and they don't always enact their obligations to their children. Some parents ignore sexual education for quite some time and they do not educate their children. Now, sex education should be mandatory in schools due to the guarantee that children are exposed to the facts they must know. I am aware that many children learn sexual education from their parents, but sex education in school would serve as a reminder. You wrote:

"Not to mention, as far as the responsibility in having sex goes, parents have a better time explaining since they've already experienced this before."

That point can be valid at times, but it is invalid in many cases. You are aware of the teen pregnancy issue in this country, right? Teen parents absolutely cannot educate their children about sex. They just cannot.

Additionally, you write:

"Second, I don't think that students will feel very comfortable learning about this topic through their teachers..."

That is an invalid point. It may be true, yes, but it is irrelevant. It is not a matter of comfortablity. It is rather a matter of gaining the facts you require for a successful life.

I await your response.

DonWon

Con

I'm going to take a different approach to this argument by first stating that we do technically learn about most of this stuff in health class. And I have to say that just because you are properly educated about sex does not mean you will be responsible . I know it could go with both arguments, but it's true. Proper education about sex will teach you about the diseases, how to protect yourself, etc. But it won't necessarily make you more responsible. Erasing everything else I've said so far, education will make you more aware of what and what not to do, but it won't prevent you from making the wrong choices. It is YOU that must be responsible and make the right choices. What you do with the knowledge you acquire is again, up to you. That's why I see no point in this. There are people with proper education about sex that still make the wrong choices. Regardless, of what they've been taught, people still have sex with out wearing a condom. I know this is unrelated but, this is just like the issue with smoking. Schools provide education about smoking yet people still do it. Again, while it's good to learn sex ed. I feel that people won't use this knowledge effectively.
WilliamsP

Pro

I see your points. However, that does not mean I agree with them. I will point out some of our disagreeances:

You wrote:

"Again, while it's good to learn sex ed. I feel that people won't use this knowledge effectively."

That point is valid, yes, but it can be resolved. Sexual education is not the only thing that is mandatory. Counseling, parent conferences, and experience are among the solutions.

I would love to make additional points, but I have other things to take care of now. Please give me an opportunity to continue my argument in the next round.
DonWon

Con

Now I'm going to combine my two earlier claims by stating that the fact that it HAS to be mandatory along with counseling and what not is just not needed. Sex ed is a good idea and all, but do we really need it to be mandatory? That's the question. I don't know if I've been doing a such a good job during this argument, seeing as though there's not a lot of material to work with. But I'm still going to try. Now I know I'm fighting a losing battle; the positives clearly outweigh the negatives. But, in your earlier claims, you've stated that it HAS to be mandatory. BUT, what if the student doesn't necessarily want to take the class. Now I know what you're thinking, it's mandatory. That would be valid if it was due to something completely stupid, but have you thought about if a student was planning on staying abstinent? Or if they really just didn't want to take the class because they were scared? Then what would happen? Counselling? You may argue that they may still need to take the class, but do they really have too? Is it right to make someone who doesn't like the idea of having sex learn about it in school? This leads to my next claim, the education itself. Sure sex ed would be very informal, but again it isn't needed. At some point in someone's life, a person WILL get curious about how they were made. They will ask about the birds and the bees. As a child, have you ever asked your parents, "Mommy? Daddy? How are babies made?". At some point in your life, you will ask this, and eventually, parents will give you the correct answer. Key Word: eventually. At a certain stage, depending on your comfort level, they will tell you the answer, and that's the beauty of it all. Your parents know what you should and should not hear, and they know how to give it to you straight in a way that teachers don't. This was what I've been trying to state earlier. Another point is that there are plenty of sources on the Internet, from parents, from doctors, and at school that already inform you about sex and the sexually transmitted diseases. So naturally, the education is already inevitable, so making it mandatory would be useless. Now yes, whether or not they want to research this information or not is up to them, but that's were responsibility takes place. Inevitably, your parents are going to inform you about the birds and the bees. EVEN if it is a teenage mother, they might be able to inform their child about teen pregnancy and encourage him or her not to make the same mistake that they did, WHILE also, telling them about sex in general. At that point in your life, you should already have about one third of the information you need about sex. Next you may hear about sexually transmitted diseases from your health class, and at that point you'll have two thirds. Now I know not all schools have this, but I have an idea which will be stated before the end of this argument. Finally, the three thirds come in when you do research for yourself about these things. Again, whether a person decides to do this or not is up to them. But, this WILL help them become more responsible in their sex life, and also teach them to rely on others AS WELL AS themselves to gain the information they need to have a healthy and successful life, rather than the information being just thrown at them. And I know I keep repeating myself, but again, learning about sex is a process that not everyone feels comfortable with. So, I believe it should be introduced in three stages: preteen, teen, and young adult. Preteen: first introduced to sex by parents. Teen: introduced to sexually transmitted diseases. Young Adult: brief research on all these topics. This is a bit wordy, but I'll make my last claim for this round. Now because not all schools have a health class, I'll propose this: rather than having sex ed be mandatory, why not just include health class in every school in every country instead? For this idea, I've made some adjustments from your idea; it will be PARTIALLY mandatory. I'll get into more detail about why in the 4th round.
WilliamsP

Pro

I see your points, but I am not entirely convinced. Please elaborate on your points in as much detail as you can.
DonWon

Con

I'm having trouble with this argument because you have not really defined mandatory or what grade this would be applied to (middle school, high school, collage, in general?). Also, I've looked at your previous points, and in round three, you added some conditions that should have been stated earlier in round one by stating: "That point is valid, yes, but it can be resolved. Sexual education is not the only thing that is mandatory. Counseling, parent conferences, and experience are among the solutions. "

I think you should state all of the givens before debating, just to make sure there is no confusion. AND, what I was saying was that it is good to gain some knowledge about sex in school, but primarily it is the parents' job as far as introducing you to it and making sure you're aware of sexually transmitted disease and how to prevent it, EVEN IF parents may sometimes avoid talking about it. If that was the case, I still don't think that's the end all be all. There are many other ways to learn about sex (Internet, doctors, health teachers, etc.). If the person was that interested, he/she would ask their parents if they could see a doctor to discuss it, ask a health teacher, or simply search it on the Internet. Learning about sex through all these resources only to have to learn about it again in school is just overkill, given the amount of resources outside of school you have. Now, let's discuss the benefits of not having it be mandatory. If a person is still curious about sex, then that person would have an option of whether or not they want to take sex ed or not. If they feel there is no need, then they won't have to waste their time taking it. You see what I'm saying? Your proposal doesn't offer enough flexibility. Forget I even mentioned the health class, I know it's not valid at this point. Getting back to responsibility, sex ed would be a great reminder of the responsibility that comes with sex. However, so will all the other sources I've mentioned. A doctor WILL talk to you about the dos and don'ts. A parent MAY mention them, but like you said not all parents will. So, a doctor may be your best bet. OR IF you have a health teacher, or know one, ask them. OR a counselor. OR a school nurse. OR someone you know that has or knows someone that has a sexually transmitted disease (given he/she feels comfortable talking about it) . There are even ads about these types of diseases. So really, there are other sources outside of sex ed that will give you what you need. Most if not all of them will warn you about how to stay away from these diseases. This makes your statement about sex ed being a reminder of the responsibility you must have valid, but not the end all be all (Hopefully you understand what I'm saying now).
WilliamsP

Pro

I see what you are saying, but I am not convinced yet.
DonWon

Con

Throughout this entire debate I've noticed that you never justified WHY sex ed should be mandatory. I've been explaining my reasons, but it seems to me like you've spent most of your time just refuting my claims. I'm not mad or trying to bash you or anything, I'm just wondering why you spent most of your time rejecting instead of EXPLAINING to me WHY sex ed should be mandatory and WHY you're not convinced otherwise. I may not have had the strongest arguments, but I at least explained in detail why I felt a certain way. Again, not trying to bash you or anything, I just think you've spent your time disagreeing and refuting rather than explaining YOUR side.

Anyway, why don't we finish this shall we? Another thing that may serve as a good reason NOT to have sex ed be mandatory, is money. I noticed that you never stated money in the beginning, which is very crucial. In order to be able to have certain classes, schools must have a certain amount of money. I also noticed that in the beginning you stated that "I will argue that sexual education should be taught at all schools, not only in the United States, but in schools in every single country". This means that you stated that this should be implemented in every school in every country. The problem with that argument is that not every school is going to have enough money to implement this class, and since you didn't address this in the beginning, this counts as a valid flaw. You need money to buy technology, books, desks, not to mention teachers. Problem is, not every school in every country can afford all of this. And again, with my last argument, students should be able to take whatever class they want to. Classes like sex ed should definitely be more of an option, especially if you consider that some schools have health classes which ARE mandatory, and DO teach lessons about sex. Maybe not in as much detail as the sex ed would, but still enough to get you through life. And as I've stated earlier, don't forget about the students and how they would feel about this. They might not want to take sex ed if they are staying abstinent or just don't like the idea of having sex, and if that's true then I'm 100% sure that they won't take too kindly to being forced into taking sex ed. Again, sex ed, a nice idea yes, but do we really need it to be mandatory?

And one more thing, that 'condition' you made earlier about:

"sexual education is not the only thing that is mandatory. Counseling, parent conferences, and experience are among the solutions."

That is technically an invalid condition because you did not state it in the beginning, and you used it as a defense to my other claims. If you would've mentioned it earlier, I would've avoided my initial argument overall and choose a different point of view. Remember to state all of your conditions before starting the debate. Well, that's all I want to launch for this one. I really enjoyed this debate. This is actually my first one. See you! And may the better man win!
Posted by Haroush 2 years ago
Haroush
I'm against sex education, but I wouldn't go about it like con has. Whether I am for or against sex education pro is presenting a better case here.
Posted by Dr.Intellegent 2 years ago
Dr.Intellegent
I believe it is told but not taught, especially in high schools. But, what concerns me the most is countries the are developing and increasing the population (already too many people) and not having any education about having sex.
Posted by liberal17 2 years ago
liberal17
I agree with the pro side.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
WilliamsPDonWonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro basically conceded in the last 2 rounds.
Vote Placed by hexfirewell7172 2 years ago
hexfirewell7172
WilliamsPDonWonTied
Reasons for voting decision: I thought that this was a pretty good debate and I also thought that con brought up some very good points but I still believe that pro had a stronger more condensed argument, I also think that pro was being a little bit mean and lazy at the end