GSix
vardas0antras

Sex education should be taught in public schools.

GSix

Pro

I am currently a high school student taking a debate course and this is my debate topic. Thought I could test out my arguments here before I present them in class.

I will allow my opponent first shot. In round two I will post my opening speech and rebuttal. I accept all challengers. Cheers.
vardas0antras

Con

This is a rather challenging debate but nevertheless, I shall win !

Short Arguments:

Often, sexual education can go against an individual's moral or religious beliefs. Many schools do not teach "abstinence only" but teach how to have intercourse safely, whereas many religious and family values stress marriage before intercourse.

Teachers are not always trained how to properly teach sexual education courses and may lecture their own beliefs or morals and faith into the subject matter rather than stick with the facts.

My main Argument:
There are 4 type of groups:
1.Ill call this the "I don't care" group.
a) This part of the group simply doesn't care because they've seen it all on the web. The education (advice and things unsaid on those websites) are ignored by this group because they don't see it as important. I am a part of this group and I can say that the only thing I could think about was all the boring classes I skipped.
b) This part is just like the previous part of the group and the only difference is that they are the comedians in the class. Their focus is to make funny remarks and not learn. Furthermore I must add that its distracting to anyone who wants to listen not that anyone listens (with few exceptions).
2.Ill call this the "Best life now" group.
a) Students who spent long hours near the computer or their PS3 tend not to listen. Mostly because this doesn't effect them especially when considering the near future. What can I say they're gamers.
b) They are party animals who do what they want despite what they are told. Most of them are normal people but they like to drink a bit too much alcohol.
3.Ill call this the "Individuals" group.
a) Teens who are consumed by other things (friends,reputation,education). As a result they have other things to think about.
b) Anyone with money, they have their life prepared by parents hence they are carefree.
c) Some students simply don't listen
d) Many many students don't take these classes seriously and instead of listening they rejoice their skipped classes.
e) Students who have been thought by their parents already know everything
4.People who learn
I'm not familiar with this group.

Please respond at the last hour because if you don't I may end up forfeiting a round for no reason.
GSix

Pro

GSix forfeited this round.
vardas0antras

Con

Voters and readers please consider this as my forfeit hence round 2 doesn't exist.
GSix

Pro

I would first like to thank you for accepting this debate, and for graciously forfeiting your second round.

My Arguments
Twenty-seven percent of all teens are sexually active. Now what makes more sense? Giving those teens the knowledge on how to avoid pregnancy and diseases, or rather simply teach them that it's wrong, even though these teens may still have sex anyway. Sexual education class is very important and should be taught in public schools. Sex ed provides teens with needed information, makes sure that the information is displayed properly, and is already supported by the community.
It's no mystery; teens have sex whether parents want to admit or not, and nothing will change that. The schools should not ignore this issue, nor should they simply teach them that it's wrong. The schools should instead help the teenagers, by providing them with the information needed to prevent diseases, pregnancy, and other issues. Now by no means am I saying the school system should promote sex. I am saying the schools should simply provide the students with the information needed to take precautions, if in case they do find themselves in that situation. Imagine a girl who is a straight "A" student and is on the road to Harvard. However, in her senior year she accidentally becomes pregnant. Her dreams of going to Harvard, and obtaining a luxuries career have now vanished. If only she had been aware of birth control or other contraceptives. Having sex ed in schools could have prevented this case of teenage pregnancy and many other like it.

My Rebuttal
I can see what you are saying about the groups, however I believe students will pay more attention to this this than you give them credit for. The students would not be learning about geometry or English, they are learning about a topic that affects most of them. Even if they are not sexually active now, most people will experience intercourse within in their lives, and this information may still be useful to them. As for who should teach it, who is to say that the parents are any better than teachers. Parents would surely be teaching their children their own morals and beliefs, rather than presenting them with information and allowing them to make decisions on their own. And as for the "already know about sex" group, who learned their information over the Internet, how do they know that the knowledge they learned is true. A teacher would be able to clearly present these facts to the students and could clear up any myths the students could have heard about over the Internet.
vardas0antras

Con

vardas0antras forfeited this round.
Posted by vardas0antras 3 years ago
vardas0antras
A tie ?!!?
This voting system is worst than the one used in youtube !!!!
Simply outrageous, I have clearly lost and my opponent won.
Cant complain much, though :D
Posted by vardas0antras 3 years ago
vardas0antras
*Surprised*
I didn't intend to forfeit this round but since I have, I accept my defeat.
Posted by GSix 3 years ago
GSix
i'm sorry that I didn't get my argument posted. I was waiting to post it like u asked, but when it got down to the last hour I could not get to my computer. I see what u mean by extending the ttime limit
Posted by vardas0antras 3 years ago
vardas0antras
m93samman from now on I shall call you m93 because you call me vardas, just feels unfair that I should put effort in writing your accounts name while you write not even half my name !
Posted by vardas0antras 3 years ago
vardas0antras
"you literally made the same arguments I would expect my younger brother to make if we were talking about this WHILE playing video games."

Meh I have heard worst from you
"I'm done. Clearly, logic isn't something they learn in Ireland, and I'm wasting too much time doing this."
You also have made some rather dumb arguments
"So you might as well just deny every single God-damned contradiction in the bible and say that it was translated wrong, because I know that neither of us speaks Hebrew."Considering the last comment you made (which Im thankful for) I find this funny.

My point is that we're not all perfect

"FYI you don't need sources unless your providing sketchy facts/stats. Anyways, I must say Con is not looking good so far."
I agree with both statement but you have to consider my terrible position as Con (very few people share the view I'm representing and I myself disagree!). However I admit that I could have done a better job but this is for fun but this comment is over.
Posted by Alex 3 years ago
Alex
And btw I wasnt actually applying that to this particular debate. Yes it would be nice for him to have sources.
Posted by Alex 3 years ago
Alex
FYI you don't need sources unless your providing sketchy facts/stats. Anyways, I must say Con is not looking good so far.
Posted by m93samman 3 years ago
m93samman
you literally made the same arguments I would expect my younger brother to make if we were talking about this WHILE playing video games.
Posted by m93samman 3 years ago
m93samman
vardas- not a single source. How do you defend a single assertion?
Posted by vardas0antras 3 years ago
vardas0antras
XD dont worry about that but one thing that I do recommend is to lengthen the time limit next time (you'll see why in my response).
Research this debate: United States