BobHiggs
yesikant

Sex education should be taught in schools.

BobHiggs

BobHiggs

Pro

I believe sex education should be taught in schools.
Many would object to this stance, as it is a sensitive and touchy subject best left to the parents. I agree, schools should not have to teach students about sex, but the fact is a vast majority of parents won't discuss that subject with their children, and the children won't ask their parents about that subject.
Sex education in schools is also important because it is taught to like-minded people of the same age group, meaning it will be more personal and probably less uncomfortable for the students.
yesikant

Con

The big problem with your case is: sex education is already taught in schools, so no policy needs to be taken.

First of all, I'll assume we're talking about an policy action being taken by the United States government. This is fair because the majority of users on this site, including both me and you (according to your profile) are American. Also, the term "should" indicates that a policy action should be taken. It indicates that a change should be made in our laws because of some benefit.

Regardless of the benefit accrued by the policy you advocate, if the current system can do what you advocate, then there is no reason to take the policy.

In policy debate this is known as inherency. If a policy action is to be taken, the person advocating the policy must prove that the status quo is not already solving for the plan he presents. Otherwise, why advocate the plan if it is not a change?

In all areas of the United States sex education is taught or the legal framework is in place that its constituents could teach sex education if they so choose.

Thus, we cannot accurately say that your policy action "should" be taken, because it has already been taken.
BobHiggs

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for challenging me in this debate.
You seem rather confused as to what this debate is about... several people oppose sex education being taught in schools, and I am calling those people out. I realize that action has already been taken and that it currently is being taught in schools, and use of the word "should" was a mistake on my part.
yesikant

Con

My opponent concedes that "the word 'should' was a mistake on [his] part". This is a total concession to the arguments I have previously made. The debate ends there.

Further, regardless of whether "several people oppose sex education being taught in schools", no policy action can solve that problem, so no policy action towards sex education is needed.
BobHiggs

Pro

Ha, I was just trying to oppose the opponents of it being taught in school...

Not much more we can say here, we seem to be in agreement here.
yesikant

Con

Yep. However, I can agree with you and still prove the topic false.
Posted by yesikant 5 years ago
yesikant
dgsldlogos -
"should" does not (at all) mean the same thing as ought. "should" generally asks for desirability and "ought" asks for moral obligation. You might find a dictionary that conflates the two, but they are very much not the same. For example, while many would argue that the United States "ought" to legalize pot, it probably "should" not because of the disastrous consequences to alcohol and tobacco companies. While the United States "ought" to legalize torture, it "should" not because torture is often necessary.

Your incorrect interpretation stems from that misunderstanding.

Something can only be desirable as a policy option if has not already been implemented. This is why the statement "sex education should be taught at schools" is rejected.
We can have moral obligation to implement a policy option regardless of what is the current system. My opponent is proving "ought", not "should".
Posted by dgsldlogos 5 years ago
dgsldlogos
What a horrible debate. The word "should" does not indicate a change from the status quo. It is used here in the same sense as the word "ought", which, when used in connection with an infinitive or passive voice verb, simply indicates the action is in accord with a moral, ethical, legal, political, or social obligation. I can be do something I ought to do without suddenly needing to implement such policy to make it the case. Because something ought to be, or should be, does not mean that it isn't. Amazing that we have such abysmal interpreters of the English language in, of all places, America!
Posted by yesikant 5 years ago
yesikant
That is exactly the difference - should vs shouldve. "Should" means you are looking at a policy that will be enacted in the present. We don't say we "should" enact policies in the present if they are not needed or have already been implemented. What my opponent, BobHiggs, is talking about is "should have" which is in the past.

Technical, I know, but it is an issue in legislatures and policy debate in general.
Posted by TheSkeptic 5 years ago
TheSkeptic
It doesn't matter if it's already implemented. It matters if it "should", or in this case "should've".
Posted by crackofdawn 5 years ago
crackofdawn
Don't most schools already do that? Or are you defending that they do that?
Vote Placed by DisgracedFish 5 years ago
DisgracedFish
BobHiggsyesikantTied
Vote Placed by dgsldlogos 5 years ago
dgsldlogos
BobHiggsyesikantTied
Vote Placed by knick-knack 5 years ago
knick-knack
BobHiggsyesikantTied
Vote Placed by johnnyjohnsmithsmith 5 years ago
johnnyjohnsmithsmith
BobHiggsyesikantTied
Vote Placed by BobHiggs 5 years ago
BobHiggs
BobHiggsyesikantTied
Vote Placed by yesikant 5 years ago
yesikant
BobHiggsyesikantTied