Kearaisom
Autee135

Sexism in the workplace

Kearaisom has forfeited round #2.

Kearaisom

Con

Does sexism still exist in the workplace? Please explain.
Autee135

Pro

Yes sexism in the workplace does exist. You kind find in every career, especially in male dominated careers like STEM or IT work. Women have to prove themselves repeatedly in order to gain any form of respect from their male counterparts. The is also male sexism though, men are called less manly if they are interested in things such as cooking, dancing, singing, or clothing design.
Posted by RR-MKIV 9 months ago
RR-MKIV
No, they don't get paid the same in the instances I listed. If they are doing the same work, then yes, they need to get paid the same. However that stat is very, to put it bluntly, misleading. And no, men and women play very different roles in society, via both biology and culture. Sure, a man can act as a proxy for a female counterpart, but he is not the exact same. The base questions should be identical, Ill give you that. However, given the major differences between men and women, they need to be asked individual questions off to the side.

And no problem, its your first debate. You can edit this I believe.
Posted by Kearaisom 9 months ago
Kearaisom
I believe that men and women should get paid equally not matter what. Like the question stated, "Do you believe men and women should get paid equally preforming the same job." You said that most women choose lower job fields and drop out the workforce. I believe if the male and female are preforming the same job, they should be paid the exact same amount per hour.
For my second question, I believe that men and women should be asked all the same questions when at an interview. For example, I believe they should be asked if the have kids and if they plan to have children just like women do. Who says the male isn't a single father needing days off from his career to take care of his child? Both men and women get some type of maternity leave. I understand women get 6-8 weeks depending on where they work, but men can have time off also.
For your question, I am for sexism in the workplace to be equal. I thought I had Pro on this. Sorry for that mistake!
Posted by RR-MKIV 9 months ago
RR-MKIV
Men and women who perform the same job do get paid roughly the same. The stat of 0.77 dollars to 1.00 for women vs men is a broad average derived from a survey across all industries and types of employment to the best of my knowledge. To this extent is excludes the fact that women work fewer hours, even those who do work full time. 60% of women work part time, vs 60% of men who work full time. Women also choose lower paying fields and are more likely to drop out of the workforce. Its simply a matter of lifestyles.

As to your second question, on principle, yes. There do, however, need to be some questions that are different, like pregnancy and health, given men and women are not existentially the same.

A question for you. I see you are Con, but from the questions you asked me it feels as if you are Pro. I realize you may be probing me on my stances [Cudos to you], but my only purpose with the comment was to narrow down the material upon which you have made this debate. Sexism will always occur in the workplace, however, I do not think there is a systematic oppression of women in the workforce.
Posted by Kearaisom 9 months ago
Kearaisom
Do you agree with men and women preforming the same job should be equally paid? Would you also agree that men and women should be asked the same questions in an interview, or would you consider that not sexist?
Posted by RR-MKIV 9 months ago
RR-MKIV
I would expand this to institutionalized sexism in the workplace. It is inevitable that there will be some cases of sexism, but on a whole I would argue that it is not officially put into practice. So to this extent I agree with you.