Hoody0116
passwordstipulationssuck

Sexism is still in Australia

Hoody0116

Pro

Sexism IS still in Australia, take AFL for example, yes they brought in a girls team but what about other sports and why isn't the women's football on main channels when the men's football is on. Did you also hear the fact that they are taking out the first bounce of the games because women aren't strong enough to do it! Why do people still believe these awful and sexist comments! arent we all told from a young age to not judge a book by its cover, so why are we judging women because of they shape, size and strength. just because some women are weaker than other men, Men can also be weaker than women. Take for example a few weeks ago in PE, we were doing shot put, the girls were given a 2kg shot put but the boys were given a 3kg shot put. I was able to throw the shot put the furthest out of my class with 8.6 m, the boys were then complaining because they all threw it shorter than me and then blamed it on the weight of the shotput, so our teacher gave all the boys another go with the 2kg one and none of them could throw it as far.
passwordstipulationssuck

Con

before we begin I would like to offer the following observations and definitions to clarify the grounds and framework of the debate that shall follow. first, from the Cambridge English dictionary (all definitions will come from here) actions based on a belief that particular jobs and activities are suitable only for women and others are suitable only for men. this is the only term in the resolution that truly needs to be defined.

I shall offer some simple guidelines for the debate
1. No ad hominems.
2. No new arguments in your final rebuttal (per standard debate rules.)
3. Standard debate rules apply in regard to dropped arguments.

I shall be making my case primarily by attacking my opponents case and pointing out the errors in her arguments.

1. My opponent has stated that the AFL only shows football games for the men's league on mainstream television stations. However, my opponent mistakenly attributes this to sexism while the true cause is something far less sinister. Ratings. it's all about making money. Just like in any business people want to provide the people with what they want. Scientific fact: men are on average stronger and faster than women on account of that little Y chromosome we have. This makes men's sports typically more interesting to watch for most people. It's also important to note that women's sports are televised. They are given an outlet.

2. My opponent states that the first bounce has been removed from women's sports (I'm assuming football. I'm not a big connoisseur of sports) However, my opponent has failed to provide the reasoning behind this decision taking the conclusion without context. Surely they didn't just decide to do it on a whim. (this would require reliable evidence by the way) Perhaps the average woman struggles to complete this athletic feat? we don't know. the evidence my opponent provided is not complete by any means and lacks citation. I was also unable to find any reference to this in my research. I challenge my opponent to provide reliable evidence so I can fully understand the context of the argument.

3. next my opponent brings up a personal story and uses it to justify her claims. Simply because you can throw a shot put farther than the boys in your class doesn't mean everyone can. to determine that all women can do this is cherrypicking the evidence. Your story may have been more prominent evidence wise if you had stated that EVERY female student in your class could consistently outperform the men over the course of your middle and high school career. If suddenly my opponent mirrors this statement I would question the validity of her story. moreover, your profile says that you're thirteen years old. In this time frame, most people would have just started to go through puberty. this would cause the differences between men and women to be present to a lesser degree.

I believe that refuting these points is a more than adequate way to state my case.
I wish my opponent the best of luck.
Hoody0116

Pro

Are women still being paid the same as men, That's my question for you? There are still heaps of women getting paid less than men even though they do the same or more work. This is a major problem around Australia. this is a short argument because there is nothing really else to say about this topic because it is outright unfair and needs to be sorted out.
passwordstipulationssuck

Con

ah, the wage gap myth. Despite the fact that this "notion" has been dismantled time and time again, many people continue to cling desperately to the idea. Allow me to simply reiterate the facts of the matter.

1. Women, when they are paid less, are not the victims of sexism. The original studies and surveys that determined that the wage gap exists, were fundamentally flawed as they did not factor in occupational differences, Time taken off, or hours put in. More valid studies have shown that women and men are paid the exact same amount when you factor out all of these variables. Indeed, when one factors out the differences between women and men the apparent wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing. (1)

Simply put, the wage gap doesn't actually exist, No matter how much you may wish it were so. I believe that the reason that people cling to the idea to such a degree, is because that if they accepted the truth that it didn't exist they would have lost one of their final remaining points. Then all they'd have left is the sexist air conditioning. (yes it's a thing. Look it up if you want to lose more faith in humanity.)

Now that I've invalidated your one and only point, I await your next argument.

(1) Claudia Goldin, an economics professor at Harvard University.
Hoody0116

Pro

according to ABC.net.au 1 third of women and girls believe that it would be easier to get there dream job and 14% of girls believe they get the same opportunities of women. For your last argument, you are wrong, the government's human rights website states that the average age gap between men and women is about 15-18 cents. http://www.abc.net.au...
http://www.abc.net.au...
passwordstipulationssuck

Con

I shall begin by pointing out some major flaws in my opponent's logic.

1. my opponent stated that 1 third of women believe that it would be easier to get their dream job (I'm assuming if they were a man, that's not specified) and that 14% of girls believe that they have the same opportunities "of women." Not certain that one makes sense honestly, but let's roll with it. Simply because someone believes something, doesn't make it true. I can believe that I can fly, but that doesn't mean if I jump off a cliff I won't plummet to my death. My opponent's argument is, therefore, flawed in that it only accounts for belief and not facts.

2. guys... my opponent. she's done it. she's proven... absolutely nothing. Her rebuttal failed to counter my actual point because that evidence would still fail to factor out all of the variables. I attempted to follow the links my opponent provided to confirm this, but they're both to the same page and are for her first point. The new evidence provided by my opponent has in no way refuted my previous point.

I had also neglected to point out in my previous case that my opponent had dropped every single argument I had made in my original statement.

I thank my opponent for this debate and wish her the best of luck.
Posted by passwordstipulationssuck 1 year ago
passwordstipulationssuck
that is if anyone votes...
passwordstipulationssuck
I mean, It's going to be next September before a winner is decided. A bit excessive.
passwordstipulationssuck
that... is a really long voting period.
passwordstipulationssuck
guess you're forfeiting. How boring.
passwordstipulationssuck
you still there? or do you plan to forfeit?
Posted by RR-5L8S 1 year ago
RR-5L8S
Ah, I see you have some glaring misconceptions. One, the reason women's sports are not featured as prominently as men's sports on primary broadcast channels is simply because of the fact that male sports are more popular. A TV station has no incentive to air female sports programs if they do not draw the same viewer count, and consequently less money. This is also why female athletes get paid less on average: They draw less crowd. As to your assertions regarding female physique, men on average have 50% more muscle mass than a woman on average. This is even more prominent in the sports leagues. So all of your points are invalid.