PaigeZ
JayConar

Sexism

JayConar

PaigeZ

Con

I've been doing research on sexism for my persuasive essay and I would first like to point out that sexism isn't just for women but for men as well. The definition of sexism is
prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
Some examples are, when you hear the word rape, what popped into your mind? Unfortunately most of you if not all thought of men. Well a dear friend of mine who is a male was raped by a female. How often do you hear of that? not often probably.
When you hear the word(s) slut, whore, prostitute, ect.... what do you think of first? Again most of you if not all thought of females. I don't blame you, I mean a credible resource that a lot of my peers use have the definitions of those which I will share with you.
Slut:
1. an immoral or dissolute woman; prostitute.
2. Obsolete. a dirty, slovenly woman.
Whore: 1. a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet.
Prostitute: a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money; whore; harlot.
Males were mentioned not once in these even though we have male strippers, male prostitutes, and "players" who are a stereotype of a male slut.
I don't think I should be called a slut/whore/prostitute just because I am female. But yet everyday I school I am called vulgar names. When I don't answer they tell me I have no sense of humor. Actually I love to laugh and have a really good sense of humor, but when I personally am put down because I have a vagina I'm not going to laugh. when you continuously degrade me and tell me I will amount to nothing but being good in bed (yes I have been told that at 15) it takes all my will not to cry. How would men feel if you had your future planned out based on your sex? you can be anything you want, but if I want to be the president of the United States? what are the odds of that right now? Thanks for reading this :)
JayConar

Pro

I support the argument that sexism exists, as is suggested by the rather unhelpful title of this debate!
PaigeZ

Con

Okay, so what should the title have been? I think its straight to the point, but I would love to hear what you have to say.
JayConar

Pro

Perhaps you should make clear what this debate is actually about, what are you arguing against and what am I arguing for? Just so we can spend the next three rounds doing some actual debating?
PaigeZ

Con

Okay, Is sexism morally wrong or just a joke. Con is morally wrong pro is it's just a joke. If you try replacing gender in a statement with a skin color or a hair color and it sounds racist or ridiculous, well it's probably sexist. So if racism is wrong, then why isn't sexism?
JayConar

Pro

My opponent asserts that if you replace gender in a phrase with a hair colour or skin colour it will sound ridiculous, allow me to disprove this:

'The girl sat on the bridge.'

'The brunette sat on the bridge.'

There, point proved, neither of those sound racist, sexist or ridiculous.
PaigeZ

Con

My opponent has obviously misunderstood me. I quote " If you try replacing gender in a statement with a skin color or a hair color AND IF it sounds racist OR ridiculous, well it's probably sexist." As you see I have capitalized AND, IF, and OR. Yes the brunette sat on the bridge does not sound ridiculous or racist because it wasn't meant to be sexist, It was just a statement. If it was meant to be sexist well it was poorly executed. This however is seen as sexist. " You're such a girl" "You're such a blonde" or even "You're such a WHITE GIRL" These are things I hear everyday.
JayConar

Pro

Those are simply statements. If you are blonde, saying that you're blonde is a truthful statement, rather than saying that you're ginger, which would be untruthful. Perhaps you see insults where there aren't any. Afterall, a lot of men think that blonde women are very attractive. Does that make it sexist for somebody to point out that you're blonde?
PaigeZ

Con

No it doesn't make it sexist. But is it just a coincident that they happen to say I'm a blonde (who are known as dumb blondes) at moments I make a mistake or say something stupid. My hair color does not describe me, so neither should the fact that I'm a girl. I don't make my decisions based on my sex. I want to play football, my mom won't let me because she doesn't want me to get hurt, but she lets my brother play who just so happens to cry when stepping on a lego. She just doesn't want me to play because I am a girl. I want to go out with my guy friends or I wear shorts that go above my knee she suddenly thinks that I am going to make the same mistakes she made. She tells me straight out that I am a slut or that I act like a slut because I act like a girl. Even my family is discriminating and degrading me and even my brother whom they frequently tell to "grow a pair" or "be a man". He is 9, he is going to do things that make him seem weak but that is because he is 9. At school I am frequently sexually harassed and discriminated because I am a girl and even at work. This isn't a joke, sexism is basically racism against women. So again if racism is wrong then why not sexism.
JayConar

Pro

It sounds to me like you are in a very hard position as your Mother wishes to wrap you in cotton wool to protect you from making mistakes she made. However, this is natural mothering instinct and not sexism. I would urge you to do what you feel is right for you, whilst keeping yourself safe. By the way, the word you're looking for is 'discrimination' against women, not 'racism' against women. I'm still not entirely sure what this debate was meant to be about, but I would suggest in the future that you term your debate title in a way that gives it more clarity, for example: Sexism is a big issue. Or whatever you would like the debate to be about. Good luck!
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
So lets hear the con side already...
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
PaigeZJayConarTied
Reasons for voting decision: conduct to pro due to the unclear resolution. Pro wins because pro proved that in reality nothing changes, calling people by their traits isn't being sexist