SamiahMatin
STALIN

Sexual Assault of Women is NEVER Justified

SamiahMatin

SamiahMatin

Pro

Please present your valuable ideas on the table. I would like to see your potential to defeat this argument against this horrible crime. Good luck.
STALIN

Con

OK I will accept this debate.

Definition of rape:
1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

I have come up with an argument that will hopefully support my point somewhat. In the past, there have been cases in some cultures where rape has been OK. The same applies for some civilizations today. Some cultures believe that there is nothing wrong with rape. This is somewhat true with the Taliban. In the future, rape on a large scale could become a possibility.

A historical example of a case when rape was OK and even supported, was when the Soviets invaded Germany. Soviet propaganda somewhat supported it in the hopes that Germany would become scared and give in faster. However this resulted in the opposite.

Anyway, my 1,000 characters are up. There should be 3,000 for this debate.

I await...
SamiahMatin

Pro

Thank you for your ideas. As a woman myself, I know the gift of virginity is very precious to me and taken that away from me will be almost same as to death. Collecting definitions from the internet and thinking from a historical point of view is not an effective way to present valid ideas. I shall continue my prosecution against this horrible crime:;

1. A rape victim is devalued by the community. Some will blame the victim, some will see the victim as sullied and others will just not want her presence reminding them about the dangers in the world.

2. There are additional medical risks. S.T.D's and pregnancy and the fear of both are very damaging.

3. Rape damages the victims ability to experience normal sexual contact, it is extremely difficult to undo damage by sexual assault.

Which girl would like to be raped? It is nothing bearable than having your organ damaged and I cannot even use foul and inappropriate language to explain this horrible crime.

I wait for your ideas.
STALIN

Con

STALIN forfeited this round.
SamiahMatin

Pro

Based on your forfeiting previous round, my prosecution points for this issue has become even stronger. Unwanted sexual assault leaves a psychological scarring on a woman that can never be cleaned. Imagine this for a minute, as there is no need to be offended. Envision your own sister or mother brutally raped by an unknown man and in reality, you will not mention that this is part of the culture. You will certainly feel for your sister/mother's pain since you carry the same blood as hers. Also, increasing voice in the society and spreading awareness can contribute to this matter and the man who can even think of forced sex should be punished by law. If not law, than god is there as the final axe.
STALIN

Con

The reason I forfeited was because you put the round time at only 12 hours which is just ridiculous.

Anyway, I can easily prove that in some cases and cultures rape is OK. And I did prove that. The Taliban see rape as being OK. The Soviets had 2 million cases of rape during the invasion of Germany. Con just uses examples from what he already knows. He uses nothing to support his position. Clearly Con is incorrect. Rape has been used as a tool by different countries as terror. The Mongols for example raped people and as a result many cities surrendered without a fight.

Rape is OK based on a culture/countries rules. And I would like to repeat what I said earlier: puting the time to post in a round at 12 hours and not three days is dumb. Clearly Pro was hoping I would miss a round due to a lack of time. It makes me really mad when people do that. I believe that should be a minus for Pro's conduct.
SamiahMatin

Pro

Well, time is precious. 1 hour or 12 hours does not make a difference. You are clearly trying to distract from the main issue, which is sexual assault of women. Let's see here.

You have been repeating your historical perspective during the era of the Soviet Union and Talibans. Think about now, this moment,this generation. You are not clearly looking from a women's perspective. Those nations are not developed yet, while they continue to be brutally raping innocent women. If rape was OK in a culture, why do they press charges TODAY, not 20 years ago. On the other hand, rape may result in the transmission of HIV/AIDS, and this is especially a problem in parts of the world where the disease is endemic, such as Sub-Saharan Africa and there is no treatment for rape. Can you personally go and treat this disease? Go ahead monsieur, try it!

Thought so....
STALIN

Con

STALIN forfeited this round.
Posted by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
Thats when rape is OK I think?
Posted by swag_master 3 years ago
swag_master
what if shes being a bitch and wont make me a sandwich?
Posted by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
I'm not sure why nobody voted for me.
Posted by ndedo 3 years ago
ndedo
I had a thought earlier that could have won this debate. Since the premise of this debate is so absolute, it's easy to construct a feasible scenario where rape would be justified, even if it might not be possible in today's world.

I propose that rape would be justified in the extreme situation of there only being one woman left on earth with at least one man. In order to perpetuate the human race, it would be justifiable to forcibly impregnate her against her will even if she was opposed to it.

By making this argument I do not in any way condone sexual assault; I find it to be one of the most despicable things that a man can do. I simply seek to offer a method through which one could argue against the premise of this debate.
Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
RFD:

Well, I would say kudos to CON for taking up such a tough position, but his arguments were not satisfactory, and the two forfeits...

CON never goes into why Taliban rape is justifiable, so this point was without impact. CON's point about Soviet rape in Germany points out that rape actually emboldened German opposition, thereby achieving the opposite of the intended effect. This strongly favors PRO.

Finally, I would simply like to point out that while the Mongols used rape, pillage, and genocide as effective tactics to get a city to capitulate, the Mongols themselves also practiced bride kidnapping, which is essentially marriage-by-rape. CON never went there, otherwise I would have considered that to be an interesting rebuttal to PRO's points, which dealt with societal matters and women's perspectives specifically. Basically, Mongolian society vs modern society. As it is, there were no real rebuttals, only two cases, not much of a debate.

Therefore, conduct PRO.
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
It does tend to justify it though.
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
While I agree with Stalin (never thought I'd be saying *that*, lol) that twelve hours is a ridiculous amount of time to set, I don't think we can hold it against Pro for bad conduct. We don't know his motives and Stalin did agree to the terms of the debate.

@ninja Yes, except that legitimizing vigilantism does not legitimize rape...
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
No, I am saying that due to the failure of the legal system when it comes to this particular crime, people need to take the justice into their own hands.

It's legitimizing vigilantism.
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you trying to say that the government legitimizes rape by rarely punishing it?
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
@OkatuJordan

Well, since con is using a completely different argument, I will post mine. My argument was going to revolve around how rapes (specifically male) are rarely ever reported, let alone the number of rapists that are actually found guilty. The conclusion being that since the legal system can't really do anything about it, a Hammurabian 'eye-for-and-eye' philosophy is a just way of dealing with the situation.

Here are some quotes that I pulled, and their sources:

"In a single year, ... almost 93,000 men are estimated to have been raped."
https://www.ncjrs.gov...

"Looking at the past 15 years, the [National Crime Victimization Survey] estimate for the percentage of sexual assaults reported to police was 32% in 1995 (BJS, 2000) and 41.4% in 2008 (the most recent data available; Rand, 2009)."
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.counterquo.org%2Fassets%2Ffiles%2Freference%2FJustice%2520Gap%2520for%2520Sexual%2520Assault%252005-25-10.docx&ei=yaK4TYKQAYm4tweBtsTeBA&usg=AFQjCNEHU68oab7doIq2A9LLiyTR-EF-BQ

"18% of prosecuted rape cases end in a conviction"
http://www.uky.edu...

"63.9%" of rapes were not reported to the police.
http://www.nmcsap.org...

"Male survivors of sexual assault / rape are less likely to report or disclose sexual assault / rape to others"
http://www.pandys.org...
Vote Placed by PotBelliedGeek 3 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
SamiahMatinSTALINTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to pro, as con FF'd. The resolution was the justification of rape, not the cultural acceptance of it. Con failed to argue that point. Arguments to pro. Con used one source, Pro used none. Sources to con.
Vote Placed by ndedo 3 years ago
ndedo
SamiahMatinSTALINTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con took such a tough position on this that no matter how poor of an argument Pro made, it only took her pointing out that it is destructive to another person for him to lose. Conduct goes to Pro for the fact that Con agreed to the rules and ff. Personally, I'd like to point out that how useful something is doesn't change how justifiable it is.
Vote Placed by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
SamiahMatinSTALINTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro for Con's use of insults directed towards her decision to set the time limits to 12 hours. Con agreed to this, and so he should not call it "dumb." The FFs were also a conduct issue. Con uses a fallacy to build his argument, specifically an ad populum fallacy. He states that prior widespread use of rape justifies it. It does not, and he offers no supporting argument to explain why it was justified in the examples he gives, only stating that it was useful as a weapon of war. How was it useful? How did it cause cities to surrender? These were unsupported assertions - and were similar to saying that ritualized rape would make crops grow or make the seasons change. Pro only needed to point out that rape is destructive to its victims, which she did.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
SamiahMatinSTALINTied
Reasons for voting decision: see comments