YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod
mapleleaf173

Sexual offenders should be forcefully sterilized.

mapleleaf173

YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Pro

I will let my opponent make the first argument. Please do not use Godwin's Law.
mapleleaf173

Con

This should be an interesting debate.
Definitions:
1) sterilize-deprive (a person or animal) of the ability to produce offspring, typically by removing or blocking the sex organs
2) sexual offenders- n. generic term for persons convicted of crimes involving sexes

Sterilization is a permanent process. However, mistakes can be, and are made when trying sex offenders, and it is unfair and frankly ironic that someone falsely accused/convicted of sexual crimes will lose their ability to procreate
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Pro

I say this because sexual offenders hav proven that they cannot be trusted with the safety of others. My father was a sexual offender, and he raped me. I would never want another child to go through that.
mapleleaf173

Con

In an ideal world, where are legal system is 100 percent right, then I would agree that sexual offenders should be sterilized, but its not it. There are wrongfully convicted innocent people with the label of sex offender (also sex offenses can be ambigous, see here: http://www.nytimes.com...). Other methods can be used to control sex offenders that would prevent them from striking again that aren't irreversible.
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Pro

Parenting is a privilege for mentally stable people, not a right for everyone. Most sexual offendersare are people who have raped or molested someone. You have no idea what it is like to be raised by a pedophile. My father raped me when I was 13, and whgen I reported him, I was ignored and forced to live with him. Rapists do not have the right to have children because you cannot trust a rapist around children.
mapleleaf173

Con

I would agree that sexual offenders should not be allowed to have children. However forced sterilization (getting tubes tied, etc.) is too permanent.If the law had prevented your father from being around you and other children , not only would it have stopped him, but also ensured wrongfully convicted sex offenders still have a chance at a happy life after their conviction is overturned. (Plus sterilization would not stop true rapists from being able to rape, so it might even be less effecctive.
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Pro

If you agree that sexual; offenders do not have the right to have children, why not sterilize them?
mapleleaf173

Con

Sexual offenders are anyone who has been convicted for a sex related crime in the court of law. This includes people who have been wrongfully convicted. If we sterilize them all, we permanently hurt the innocent people, who are wrongfully labeled sex offenders, even if their convictions are eventually overturned. We can stop sex offenders from having children without such an irreversible action. Our court system is not perfect, so we shouldn't do anything that is not reversible.
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Pro

YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod forfeited this round.
mapleleaf173

Con

Ok I guess I just conclude? To sum up- if we want the smartest policy to protect children from sexual offender fathers, we should put in rules and regulations to prevent sexual offenders from being the guardians of children. We shouldn't just sterilize them, because it would also permanently deprive the wrongfully convicted of the being able to raise a family. We can protect both the kids and the innocent people labeled sex offenders- sterilization does not do this.
Posted by Independent2k14 1 year ago
Independent2k14
This whole debate is just so ignorant. In the US there is something called the 8th amendment, forcefully sterilizing someone falls under the cruel and unusual punishment clause. Nothing is more sacred than a persons body as was shown in Roe v Wade. This would never be allowed in any state in the US.

Now what they are doing is allowing sex offenders to volunteer to be castrated, either physically or chemically for a reduced sentence. This passes judicial muster because it is a choice.

To Con's point there are innocent people that have been convicted of a sex offense and it would be a great travesty to forcefully do anything to them. At the same time there are a lot of guilty people that do not warrant castration.

1. People who look at child pornography. Yes this is an icky thing, and I think these people deserve punishment, but for not actually perpetrating a crime do I think these people should be castrated? No. Not to mention child pornography can mean many different things. If two 16 year olds were having sex together and video taped it they both could be guilty of producing child porn. If they gave it to a friend their friend would be guilty of watching child porn.

2. Juveniles. Statistics show that anywhere from 35-50% of perpetrators of child sexual abuse are also children themselves. Do I think that children who abuse other children should be punished, of course, but do I think they need to be castrated? No.

And because the overall recidivism rate of sexual offenders is actually quite low, much lower than what most people realize, that sterilization is needed. I dare anyone to google sex offender recidivism rates and look at the research from scholarly articles. You will see that what we think about sex offenders is wrong.
Posted by YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod 1 year ago
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod
fact: Sending rapists to prison helps to reduce rape.
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
This is kind of unrelated, but I'd like to point out to hldemi that sending rapists to prison won't stop them from raping. Rape is, infact where the most rape takes place (In the US at least).
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod
I am sorry to hear that. Have you a good support system?
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
When i was 13 I was not raped....Great times.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Posted by hldemi 1 year ago
hldemi
The problem is that sex offenders do not have problems with their penises but with their minds. Without their penises you still have psychopaths roaming around. You can still get sexual pleasure with your mind. Do need to use penis at all. You can get raped by hand or anything. So in my opinion cutting their penises is not solution to anything. Just jail them for life. Do not allow them to get another opportunity to rape.

Also, you cant sterilize them until they commit the crime first. So first rape is also not prevented by Pro`s suggestion.
Posted by hldemi 1 year ago
hldemi
Yeah you can always pretend that you were not raped.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Anyone should be sterilized, so they could do nothing to offend anyone.. Sexual offens is only as real as you make it...Hit me..
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGodmapleleaf173Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a round. This is poor conduct.