Vedney
kasmic

Sexual promiscuity is inherently both immoral and detrimental to society.

kasmic

Vedney

Con

You may use the first round for acceptance or your first case.
kasmic

Pro

I accept, thank you Vedney for the topic and good luck

Definition of terms: As Con did not provide definitions I will.

Promiscuous: "characterized by or involving indiscriminate mingling or association, especially having sexual relations with a number of partners on a casual basis." (1)

Inherent: "existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute."(2)

Immoral: "violating moral principles; not conforming to the patterns of conduct usually accepted or established as consistent with principles of personal and social ethics."(3)

Detriment: "loss, damage, disadvantage, or injury."(4)

Opening argument:

A: Promiscuity and STD"s

If a person has STD's and has unprotected sex, there obviously exists a good chance that the STD will spread. Ergo they are called "Sexually Transmitted Diseases."

Many people have STD's and they are spreading. (5)

While I concede that promiscuity does not equal the stupidity to have unprotected sex, the rate at which these diseases are spreading is empirical evidence that many who have an STD are promiscuous.

It is only logical to assume that if people were less promiscuous that these diseases would spread much slower.

B: STDs are detrimental to society.

These diseases can cause "loss, damage, disadvantage, and/or injury." Due to this there is no question that promiscuity or spreading of these diseases are detrimental.

C: Detrimental implies immoral

It would seem to "violate moral principle" to spread or encourage "loss, damage, disadvantage, and/or injury." We live in a society where is would be against social ethics to cause the spread of these diseases.

Concluding opening argument

The spread of STDs suggests the promiscuity of those who have them. (5) These STDs are detrimental to society. Thus making it immoral. If people in society were significantly less promiscuous than the spread of these diseases would slow. Therefore it is only logical to conclude that "Sexual promiscuity is inherently both immoral and detrimental to society."

(1) http://dictionary.reference.com...
(2) http://dictionary.reference.com...
(3) http://dictionary.reference.com...
(4) http://dictionary.reference.com...
(5) http://www.ashasexualhealth.org...
Vedney

Con

Thank you, kasmic, for the definitions I failed to provide. Especially for the definition of inherent.

Rebuttals:

Inherent: "existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseperable element, quality, or attribute.

Pro stated that people who are promiscious, have STD's, and have unprotected sex spread STD's and therefore making promiscuity detrimental. But with the practice of safe sex, promiscuity is no longer inherently detrimental to society.

Argument:

Given preparation and the consent of everyone involved, I argue that "sleeping around" would be an enjoyable experience [1] and that a lack of sexual exploration would lead to stagnancy.

http://www.m.webmd.com...
kasmic

Pro

Rebuttals:

Con Say"s "with the practice of safe sex, promiscuity is no longer inherently detrimental to society."

Despite society"s best efforts of educating, and supplying condoms etc.., people are still inclined to have unprotected sex. This again is empirically evident by the rates at which STD"s spread. This would suggest that despite society"s attempt to separate STD"s from promiscuity, due to STD"s inherent connection to promiscuity it remains detrimental to society.

The resolution stands.
Vedney

Con

Rebuttals:

In the definition of "inherent" as provided by Pro, it states that it is something that is "existing ... as a permanent and inseperable element, quality or attribute. If safe sex is practiced promiscuity and STD's are no longer inseperable in that particular senario.

I would also like to say that Pro only rebutted my R2 rebuttal and not my R2 argument. Therefore, my argument also stands.

kasmic

Pro

Rebuttals:

Con seems to have missed my point in round two, I will restate it. Despite societies best efforts it has been unable to collectively disconnect std's and promiscuity. This is due to std's being inherently connected to promiscuity. Pro is right, in that safe sex can prevent detrimental effects of std's on a case to case basis. However, we are not talking about case to case we are talking about society as a whole. It is empirically evident that collectively, despite those who do practice safe sex, promiscuity has lead to the spread of std's. This is detrimental to society and society has, as of yet, been unable to seperate the detrimental element from promiscuity. This shows that promiscuity as a society is inherently detrimental and thus immoral. The resolution stands.

Pros logic is similar to saying if people donate to food banks we will end world hunger. Again, an individual might be less hungry due to donations, but solving world hunger as a society will require much more. The same is true with promiscuity and std's. The practice of safe sex has hardly stopped the spread of stds.

Also to clarify I did not address cons argument because it is unessacary to support the resolution. Again a starving child may be able to experience happiness but eating one meal, but that doesn't stop world hunger from being detrimental. The same is true with promiscuity, a person may enjoy the moment. However, does nothing to change how it can be detrimental.

Sexual promiscuity is inherently both detrimental and immoral to society.
Vedney

Con

I know when I lose. I concede.
kasmic

Pro

Thank you con for the debate.

Con has conceded.

The resolution stands.
Posted by Giselle18 1 year ago
Giselle18
Wow this is a dumb argument. Why don't you argue like human beings instead of like logicians? It's ridiculous. And promiscuity is the behavior in question, not STDs. The 2 aren't necessarily attached. We can all agree that STDs are bad, but is promiscuous sexual behavior BY ITSELF inherently immoral? That's what the original question asked and the "super logical" debaters completely missed.
Posted by kasmic 3 years ago
kasmic
Lol! I am typing on a tablet, sorry Vedney, I said pro twice when I intended to say con. I hope it is not to unclear.
Posted by debate_power 3 years ago
debate_power
I'd love to see how this goes. This looks like a great one.
Posted by Bchatman 3 years ago
Bchatman
Same here @Kc1999
Posted by Kc1999 3 years ago
Kc1999
Darn, I wanted to be con.
Posted by Bchatman 3 years ago
Bchatman
I think it can be harmful but a lot of things can be harmful. Honestly I don't think it is wrong. I also think it has a lot to do with where you are at while acting promiscuous.
Posted by Vedney 3 years ago
Vedney
Yep
Posted by darth_timon 3 years ago
darth_timon
Just to clarify, is the Pro position arguing that promiscuity IS harmful?
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
VedneykasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
VedneykasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full concession.