Sexuality is a Mental Defect

The matter of sexuality boils down to the base argument of birth trait versus choice. I propose that sexuality is in fact a birth trait, and that it is a mental defect that can be linked to other mental conditions.

The evolutionary purpose of sex is for reproduction. It is said humans developed their pleasure for it in order to have a year-round mating season, thus allowing more reproduction. Any form of sex that does not lead to reproduction is for pleasure, and therefor an evolutionary defect that is present in all humans.

Homosexual incidents have been recorded in several animal species that do not gain pleasure from sex. This statement removes the idea that sexuality is driven from our pleasure of sex.

In this case, I do agree with my opponent to some degree in that sexuality is a birth trait, however, I do not agree that is a "mental defect" as my opponent so blatantly put it. I propose that there is a biological component to sexuality, however it is not a choice, and is not just a LGBTQI thing, this is a human thing, a biological human trait.

Sexuality is about so much more than just sex. Sexuality also encompasses how one feels about their body, their biological sex, one's gender, one's gender identity, one's sexual orientation, one's sexual behaviors, one's values and attitudes toward sexual relationships, and any desires or fantasies or sexual preferences. This also does not include just the LGBTQI community; this also includes heterosexual individuals. Sexuality is a human trait; it is a part of everyone's life to some degree.

The DSM-IV, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders which is produced by the American Psychiatric Association, defines a mental defect as, "mental retardation, brain damage or other biological dysfunction that is associated with distress or disability causing symptoms or impairment in at least one important area of an individual's functioning." However, with sexuality, we cannot classify it as a "mental defect" as everyone has or identifies with at least one, if not all, components of sexuality, which I defined above, and sexuality is not a dysfunction, nor does it impair at least one important area of an individual's functioning.

Therefore, I propose that because sexuality is a HUMAN trait and it does NOT interfere with an individual's functioning in one important aspect of that individual's life, we absolutely CANNOT classify it as a "mental defect."

I will agree that the term "Mental Defect" was misused, and I do apologize for that.

My point still stands that it cannot be defined as a human trait, for that would imply that is solely placed in humans. Homosexuality is present as a primal nature throughout the animal kingdom. Looking at ducks, specifically, there is a recorded case of homosexual necrophilia. (Source:, Necrophilia Among Ducks Ruffles Research Feathers.)

Sexuality is a matter of perception. How does on perceive mating? How does one perceive themselves? How does one perceive their mate? Mental perception is a neurological process by which the brain determines how the person should react to stimulus, both mental and physical. As support to my mental condition link, a study has shown that people who identify by a nonheterosexual sexuality make up a large portion of paranoid schizophrenia patients. (PsychiatryOnline)

I believe what my opponent needs to clarify what he is arguing because what he seems to be arguing is that HOMOSEXUALITY is a "mental defect," whereas the resolution clearly states that SEXUALITY IN GENERAL is a "mental defect." I would like to bring this debate back to the real resolution, resolved: Sexuality is a mental defect.

I would like to call into attention my opponent's supporting evidence for his "mental condition link." He claims that "people who identify by a non-heterosexual sexuality make up a large portion of paranoid schizophrenia patients" according to PsychiatryOnline. However, what he fails to mention is that this data is only from a small sample of people, 150 people to be exact. This is absolutely NOT a good sample size for a study on mental "defects." Also, all of these test subjects were male, meaning that the data is skewed toward males suffering specifically from paranoid schizophrenia. Even then, this data is STILL faulty, as there is no significant correlation between homosexuality and paranoid schizophrenia. I would also like to remind individuals that correlation is absolutely NOT causation.

I am not comfortable arguing against this "homosexual necrophilia" among ducks until I know for certain whether he is arguing that homosexuality is a "mental defect" or if sexuality is a "mental defect."

My opponent's claim on this debate being solely on homosexuality may make sense when you look at this debate. However, my focus on homosexual examples is merely because homosexuality is not only the most common abnormal sexuality, but also the most supportive of my claim. Asexuality is another strong example of how non-heterosexual sexualities go against the very reason for sexual activity. Bisexuality allows for one to be able to have heterosexual attraction, but also allows one to have homosexual attraction. Transgender operations do not allow the person to change their part in sexual reproduction. Objectum Sexuality is proven to be able to be caused by social isolation. Social isolation, often caused by social anxiety disorder, can cause people to find comfort in inanimate objects. (MedicalDaily, "Lonely Planet: Relationships With Inanimate Objects Develop When People Can't Find Human Connection.")

As I said before, "defect" was a poor choice of wording on my part. It can be said, however, that any form of sexuality, heterosexual included, is a condition residing in the brain. The perception of reality and reaction to stimulus is caused by chemical changes in the brain when said stimulus is observed. Humans are designed as social creatures with a year-round mating season in which sexual reproduction occurs. There are countless proven conditions that inhibit or affect social abilities, such as social anxiety disorder, anti-social personality disorder, dissociated identity disorder, and depression. Every sexuality allows for a form of sexual activity that does not lead to an offspring. This fact shows that sexuality inhibits and affects human reproduction, which is in fact an important and vital part of life.

My opponent has yet to any substantial support for her argument, rather only focus on the errors within mine. While I do appreciate the scrutiny, as I am new to debating and try to further my skills every day, I notice a scenario where you are given two options, if you disprove one the other must be true. I do wish to state that I do not intend for my argument to come across as homophobic or discriminatory against anyone's sexual identification.

My opponent states that homosexuality is the most common abnormal sexuality. I would like to question if this is really abnormal or if he is just uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality or any other "abnormal" sexuality.

Also, in studies done by many clinicians, many people with severe mental illnesses have active sex lives, (British Journal of Psychiatry; Sexuality and Serious Mental Illness) so I don't see a point in addressing social behavior disorders.

I also would like some clarification as to what my opponent is arguing, as he is all over the place. He keeps coming back to sexual activity, which is only a small part of sexuality, as I have stated previously.

I agree with my opponent in the fact that sexuality is a biological mental function. However, if you are saying that everyone has a mental defect, because you claim sexuality is just that, and everyone is involved in their own sexuality, then having sexuality classified as a mental defect would be considered "normal", and therefore, not considered "abnormal," as my opponent clearly stated.

Yes, every form of sexuality ALLOWS for a form of sexual activity that does not lead to reproduction, however, that is a choice, and a mental defect is not a choice.

Abnormal refers to anything that differs from the majority population. Therefor, anything non-heterosexual is an abnormal sexuality. My views on homosexuality are not being questioned here, and my point on social disorders were not intended to be linked to one's sexuality, but rather that sexuality affects one's life in the same matter a social disorder does.

As my opponent stated earlier, sexuality also has to deal with gender identity of one's self. If one has a gender identity of having no gender, that affects an important factor of their life. People who identify as a median or multiple system are affected by their sexuality in a major aspect. Genderfluidity affects one's daily life as well. If one is a technosexual, their daily lives are affected in an important manner. As we get into technosexuals and technogenders, we get into the world of bodymodding and other activities of that nature. Sexuality affects the opinions of these people. Those who do not even believe they are human.

I would like to point out that a serious disorder, again, impairs one or more important areas of an individual's functioning. Opinions are not a vital function of life.

If my opponent would like to discuss opinions, than I feel like he needs to understand what an opinion is. An opinion is a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter. Yes, people have opinions, however, it is still not a vital function of life.

Also, the way the resolution is stated clearly says that sexuality IS a mental defect. If my opponent were actually arguing that sexuality AFFECTS one's life in the same manner a social disorder does, that would be our resolution.

I would like to conclude this debate by saying that my opponent framed this debate poorly and some of his sources were poor and did not help him make his point any clearer. The resolution was flawed based on what he wanted to argue. Therefore, I still stand in saying that SEXUALITY IS NOT A MENTAL DEFECT.
Posted by HelenShiloh 1 year ago
Nothing is wrong with a mental defect, but sexuality most definitely DOES NOT fall into the category of a mental defect.
Posted by notwich 1 year ago
what's so wrong with mental defects o.o
Vote Placed by SlovakiaKentros 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro used many assumptions, saying that if it didn't relate to reproduction, it was a mental defect. Con used the same thing, in the same exact way. neither used sources that could have further reinforced their case, and weren't convincing due to the sheer opinion based arguments.