Sexuality is not a choice

If you think sexuality is a choice your absolutely wrong, I'm 100% sure someone wouldn't choose a harder lifestyle just to be beaten down about it. Yes we're not born gay, but the sexual attraction between two girls or a guy and a girl is the exact same. For instance, say you survey 50 people and ask who likes bannas and who likes apples some will say apples some will say bannas and some will say both. Now survey them again and ask about their sexual preference some will say there straight some will say they are bisexual and some will say they are gay. That one gay person may have said they like apples and so might you. In reality we are all the same no matter what we like who we like, this particular thing is not a choice. You may not like nuts but you don't choose to not like them that's just the way you are and you can't change that. For those people who say being gay is a choice why don't you stop thinking about yourself once in awhile and think about what it would be like to be in their shoes, if u were gay you'd do everything to change it because of the people out there who push down on the the weaker ones because their more vulnerable, I'm sure if a gay person would do anything to change their sexuality. They definitely didn't choose it. Let that ponder your mine for a few minutes. Now another scenario if you've ever been bullied you know that it doesn't feel good that bully will do anything to make you feel bad and that is exactly what the world is doing to the Lbgtq community they are bullying them, do every possible thing to stop them from living how they want loving who they want because they have accepted the fact that they like the same sex and all in all stopping them from marrying the ones they love. What Is the point why can't you let them live how they want. Why do you have to try so hard to punish them and hurt innocent people. Why can't they live a happy life like you do. Is there a reason for this.

Hello, I would like to join this Debate with you.

Please note before we proceed, I would like to bring to your attention that I do not have any prejudices against sexuality, and I believe each human has their own preferences and settings. However I believe that Sexuality is a choice, and that is what I would like to debate with you.

I would also like to state that even if you do not have a counter-argument, I would prefer to see a round of "I have no counter argument" as opposed to a forfeited round.

Debate :

I Believe that Sexuality is a Choice.

You provided an example regarding apples and bananas - I would like to use this in my Example.

Very accurately, you pointed out that one person who is actually gay, may have picked apple while another straight person also picked apple. This very argument is proof that regardless of tastes or backgrounds, people prefer different things, and will do them.

Sexuality I have a feeling you believe is something that a person has when they are born (Please correct if this assumption is wrong, I can modify to cover this) - I cry false to this. I believe that this develops due to a persons own tastes, and is affected by their own likes. (Unproven, no one has monitored a persons interests as they grow) - This goes around things such as if the person has preferences to Tall people, muscles, brains, hair color, beliefs, etc.

Now, those decisions are all subconscious, i.e. it is happening in the background without the person knowing this directly. However to act upon those decisions, THAT is a choice. I am not stating this as in they have chosen to like a certain person, but to physically react to their urges - that is the choice.

I am not saying the above statement ignorantly, as I have myself had to make this choice (I am straight, so there was not additional pressure of peer judgement). However until the point that I was confident enough in myself, I never acted on those urges - It doesn't mean that my sexuality was non-existent, just I Chose not to action.

Thank you for this Debate, and I hope we both grow and learn from our discussion.

First I said in the beginning of my statement your not born with your sexuality yes u may grow to to prefer something but you don't choose to like apples or not its what happens and what God chose to have like and dislike... I will restate again NO ONE WOULD CHOOSE TO BE GAY... If there are people in this world who will just beat them down about it . Another thing, why would a person choose to kill themselves over something like that... It's the stress people put on them and the bullying that the WHOLE world not just one person downs on the whole Lgbtq community

Whoa, Okay - I had thought you were on a totally different trajectory with this debate. Regardless I will relish if I am able to sway your opinions, which appear deep rooted and enforced, not your actual opinion on the matter.

"I will restate again NO ONE WOULD CHOOSE TO BE GAY"
False. I think the more accurate statement here is, "I WOULD NOT CHOOSE TO BE GAY" - that is your choice. You state that there are people who would beat them down about being gay, While yes this occurs - Tragically I may add - This doesn't deter people if that is what their preference is, especially if that person is supporting a stronger/dominant personality type.

Just because in your environment, that is what you see - That does not mean it is fact. I would like to add that in for something for you to remember for future debates, as as soon as you sit back like that - your insights will improve, which will in turn improve the quality of your debates.

Back to the Debate :

I have a personal example - My eldest brother is very 'straight' - he is actually married and has a child. However when he was really young, he got himself a bright pink Umbrella. My parents knew he would be teased outrageously even for a young child, but he was adamant and it was his decision in the end.

He had that umbrella for about 5 years, and didn't care a flit what anyone else thought of his preferences - That was his Choice.

You seem to choose that simply because some people are that silly that they would allow the fact that one persons' decision is against what they believe - that somehow equates to "I must BULLY/HARRASS this person."
While that does occur, and I shake my head at the fact that it does; While it does occur - that does not remove the right that each person has the choice to either follow what they desire and get the benefits, and unfortunate problems, that come with that decision. Bullying will never stop a person's desire - as it is something that comes from inside them. They could choose not to act on those desires - however that is the persons choice.

Ergo : Sexuality is a Choice.

But you know what's one thing that's wrong with your answer that clearly your not seeing is the word "Equality" in all of this, why does it have to take years and years for same sex marriage to be approved... And the example with your brother, yeah in that situation he chose what he wanted to live with and deal with for those 5 years... And you say I only see the hateful things, becuase that's all there is hate hate hate for the lgbt community... Yes a person may. Choose that lifestyle but most of them try to change and force themselves... Being straight is okay but being gay is horrible wrong... And here is a another example. Just like blacks and whites, were all the same right its just the color of your skin you can't choose to be black or white its how you end up. And that is the exact same with sexual orientation straight peole are treated equal but gay people have to sit at the back of the bus, just like white and blacks. Going back to my beginning statement you said I only see the one thing, want to know why because its the only thing its what's right in front of me. And you know why it's in front of me is because everyone as a whole will never get the "Equality" we want no matter, race, religion sexuality or ethnicity...

Okay, well I am getting the feeling that you are accusing me of not paying attention to what you say, after disregarding my statements! So far each and every response I have made to our Debate has referenced whatever your previous round has stated (I have purposefully disregarded tangents you have gone too - such as race, religion and anything else you have been using that is not actually relevant to the debate) - I have yet to see anything from you apart from stating things that I have never written (e.g. " And you say I only see the hateful things," - Please show me where I actually did say this, as I cannot for the life of me find it!), or accusing me of things that clearly are the other way around. Nevertheless we shall steam on.

If you read through my debate, I emphatically agree that people do bully people for their sexual orientation - However the choice of Sexuality still exists - you can be gay and fight the bully, or choose to be straight and not have any of those hardships, but face a whole new series of problems now you are denying who you really are (Not referencing 'you' as in my opponent specifically) - This actually supports my original claim - which is Sexuality is a choice.

You have a statement in there stating Equality - Can you please use the additional characters for your future debates, as I feel that we are scratching the surface of this issue with you, however I will address what you have raised.

Definition of Equality :
"noun, plural equalities.
the state or quality of being equal; correspondence in quantity, degree, value, rank, or ability:
promoting equality of opportunity in the workplace.
uniform character, as of motion or surface.
Mathematics. a statement that two quantities are equal; equation."

Option 2 and 3 can be disregarded, they do not matter in this context.
Equality in itself is the fact that all people that do one thing, everyone else can do this as well. This doesn't work in the real world as a 'One size fits all" - Our current economic system would crash and burn if such a thing as full Equality were to happen. However one can hope that the future will arrive today!
People are free to make their own choices = Equality
People can judge other humans without fear or reprisal = Equality
People can choose their Sexuality = Equality
People can choose to shun those who have chosen differently as themselves and (e.g. their Sexuality), not associate themselves if they choose = Equality
People can beat up and fight those who have different matters, opinions and thoughts = Unequal

So the problem here is not that Equality doesn't exist - it is just that the scales are tipped - Who would put a police officer in jail in the 1870's for beating up a homosexual?
That has stacked up and since become a regular occurrence in life - We have adjusted to the fact that some things are Un-equal. That does not mean being Gay is unacceptable or the worse of two outcomes - Essentially it has equated to "It is easier being straight, even if you are not".

I think that is where you are getting stuck at - You say all you can see is "hate hate hate" - I implore you to take a metaphorical step back - where you live is not all that is - If it is perhaps you that is gay (not that it is a bad thing, and this is conjecture - not an accusation) - Perhaps where you live it is not an option.
If you were to move to another location, or have a look around at other locations, you would see that the LGBT community is actually pretty strong, quite well accepted and to be honest - a lot of fun! (Mardi Gras, Gay nightclubs - Anywhere that celebrations occur usually) - I have had some quite close homosexual friends (Platonic friendships; as I stated, I am straight) and they were the happiest and most easy-going people I have met. They did not get prosecuted for their decisions at all, and coming out to their parents were their biggest hurdle (Not that it is not a emotionally hard thing to do, but in the whole grand scheme of things - its a blip on the radar).

I do not know where you come from, but if members of the gay community are being persecuted extremely for their choices, they can either get vocal and go 'toe-to-toe' to get justice - or go elsewhere.

All of these things are choices - which is why I stick by my original claim - Sexuality is a choice.
Posted by Furyan5 10 months ago
Wrong. Future generations will laugh at people like you and the barbaric practices of current day psychologists. They are no closer to understanding the human mind than there forefathers who drilled holes in people's skulls to let demons out. In the entire history of psychology, not one patient has ever been cured.
Posted by Wild.Grape 10 months ago
According to the American Psychiatric Association, until 1974 homosexuality was a mental illness. There was little or no suggestion within the psychiatric community that homosexuality might be conceptualized as anything other than a mental illness that needed to be treated and, of course, homosexuality was listed as a mental illness in DSM-II. Then in 1970 gay activists protested against the APA convention in San Francisco. These scenes were repeated in 1971, and as people came out of the "closet" and felt empowered politically and socially, the APA directorate became increasingly uncomfortable with their stance. Removal of homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses was not triggered by some scientific breakthrough. There was no new fact or set of facts that stimulated this major change. Rather, it was the simple reality that gay people started to kick up a fuss. They gained a voice and began to make themselves heard. And the APA reacted with truly astonishing speed. And with good reason. They realized intuitively that a protracted battle would have drawn increasing attention to the spurious nature of their entire taxonomy. So they quickly "cut loose" the gay community and forestalled any radical scrutiny of the DSM system generally. Also noteworthy is the fact that the vote of the membership was by no means unanimous. Only about 55% of the members who voted favored the change.

Thus, homosexuality is a mental disorder, always has been and always will be. This is one of those things future generations will laugh at us for.
Vote Placed by RarityIsReady 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con doesn't pay attention to any of Pro's arguments.
Vote Placed by dripht 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro only provides defensive arguments