briaannnaaa
RespectfullyDisagree

Shark Finning

briaannnaaa

Con

I believe that sharking finning should no longer exist. It's estimated that 100 to 200 million sharks annually are killed for only their fins. The sharks are cut apart while they are alive then left to suffocate and die when tossed back into the water. This is all for a bowl of soup. Hundreds of thousands of sharks are dying for a bowl of soup, which is apparently not effected much by the fin.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

I would gladly accept your challenge. As the first round was not set aside for acceptance; and since you already touched on some of your points briefly, I'll get right into it.

My opponent seems to quite troubled with the number of sharks being killed for what he/she think is a petty reason. I too see the danger with it. There is no denying the scientific fact that shark finning alone is responsible for the destruction of countless ecosystems. What I would like to contest is the notion that eliminating the practice from existence (as my opponent suggested) should be our approach to fixing the epidemic.

Now I think the first thing we need to realize is that the Shark Finning industry is a billion dollar per year industry. On top of that, it is growing at a rate of approximately 5% per year. Just to give you an idea, over a $1000 dollar profit is made for every shark that is "finned". Now it doesn't take a Harvard economics background to understand the huge negative effect simply eliminating the industry would have.

What I would like to suggest is putting government regulations on shark finning. Why don't we allow corporations to be responsible for an area of the ocean where they would cultivate and tend to the ecosystem there. Government would make sure they maintain a healthy ecosystem if they wish to hunt sharks.

The problem with the industry is not its mere existence, but its lack of regulation. When thousands of people are hunting, and nobody is concerned about the changes they have just made to the ecosystem its bound to end in a mess.

By placing regulations on the industry, the ecosystems stays healthy, the workers keep their jobs (not to mention the new possibility for jobs), and the consumers get their soup.

Keep in mind, this was all grasping at straws. You never really mentioned your concern for ecosystems or the well being of the sharks in general. All you stated was that you thought the hunting of sharks is not worth a bowl of soup.

For arguments sake, your statement is unprovable. There is no way of measuring how many sharks morally justifies a bowl of soup. Sure you may not see the reason behind it, but for that man who's only desire in life was to enjoy a bowl of shark fin soup how can you say its not worth the killing of EVERY shark? With this logic you'll get nowhere.
briaannnaaa

Con

briaannnaaa forfeited this round.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

RespectfullyDisagree forfeited this round.
briaannnaaa

Con

briaannnaaa forfeited this round.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

briaannnaaa

Con

briaannnaaa forfeited this round.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro

briaannnaaa

Con

briaannnaaa forfeited this round.
RespectfullyDisagree

Pro