jnizzy
Blade-of-Truth

Sharks for equal rights

Blade-of-Truth

jnizzy

Pro

I believe that sharks should have equal rights in the United States of America. They are the most lovely creatures ever. Don't poop with them.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I accept the debate. Please begin.
jnizzy

Pro

jnizzy forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

In fairness, I'll extend the opportunity for Pro to begin with his arguments once more.

I thank the audience for their patience.
jnizzy

Pro

jnizzy forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

Since this is a 5 round debate, I'll extend the opportunity one last time for Pro to begin. If Pro fails to present any arguments, I will begin with my own.

I thank the audience once more for their continued patience.
jnizzy

Pro

jnizzy forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has forfeited another round.

I will now begin with my arguments which serve to negate the resolution at hand. First, though, I will rebut what my opponent has already said.

Rebuttals

I. "sharks should have equal rights in the United States of America"

Equal rights to who, or what? Pro fails to actually present anything to compare the rights of sharks with... For instance, should sharks have equal rights as humans, or cats, or a piece of bread? See, that's the problem. With such ambiguity from Pro, there is nothing to work with here, since he has failed to present anything as an equivalent to sharks in regards to rights. I'll leave it up to Pro to present something in comparison, because at this point this is a nonsensical statement and nothing more.

II. "They are the most lovely creatures ever"

This is called an absolute claim. For such a claim to be acceptable (valid) we need proof which supports the claim. Without any proof backing up this claim, this is nothing more than an unproven opinion. Thus, it holds no ground in this debate whatsoever.

III. "Don't poop with them"

This is yet another nonsensical claim from Pro. Why can't I poop with sharks? Pro gives absolutely no reason as to why we shouldn't poop with sharks. If anything, the common knowledge is that we shouldn't bleed around sharks, since sharks are attracted by blood [1].

Arguments

IV. Nonsensical position

Pro is taking a nonsensical position, nonsensical = meaningless, thus his position is completely meaningless. Until Pro actually makes meaningful arguments, he stands defeated.

In closing,

I've rebutted each possible point that was raised by Pro. In addition to those rebuttals I've presented my own argument negating the resolution at hand. I eagerly await Pro's response, and now return the floor to Pro.

[1] http://www.australiangeographic.com.au...
jnizzy

Pro

Well............ I am sorry to everyone that has been awaiting my response, many things in my life are going on, but I am here in round 5, to win. I believe that sharks should get equal rights. Much like American citizens. In regards to the so called 'claim' of my comments on them being the most lovely creature ever, this was not a claim. It's the truth and I believe my opponent has yet to realize that. With the don't poop with them comments, I would like to see you try to poop with them. It is quite hard. That is why. I look forward to your response.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I thank Pro for presenting something in the final round. Since it's common practice to not include any new arguments in the final round, I'll focus purely on rebuttals to the points raised by Pro.

Rebuttals

I. "This was not a claim"

My opponent says that his comment, "sharks are the most lovely creatures ever" is not a claim. He then goes on to say it's the truth. I think my opponent misunderstands what a claim is, and proves that point by following it with another claim that "it's the truth".

A claim is defined as: to say that (something) is true when some people may say it is not true. [1]

So, I think it's clear to everyone now that when someone says "sharks are lovely creatures" that it's a claim. My opponent defeats himself on this one. What Pro needed to do was prove the truth-value of that claim, which he completely failed to do.

II. "Try to poop with them"

Okay, this does nothing to affirm his original statement that we shouldn't poop with sharks. It's like someone saying "don't drive" and then when asked "why?" they respond with "just try it". Such a response literally does nothing to prove a point. To be honest, I've pooped in the ocean before, and never found myself at risk of a shark attack. I've never had the opportunity to poop *with* sharks, but that's mostly because they aren't lovely creatures to be around. I poop with my cat all the time though, she always joins me in the bathroom whenever I'm on the toilet... don't know why though. My original point still stands unchallenged.

In closing,

Pro has accomplished nothing in terms of affirming his position. He's rebutted my challenges with misunderstandings on his part and unproven claims.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Posted by fasttrack 2 years ago
fasttrack
Interesting Argument. I am interested to see the outcome.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
jnizzyBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
jnizzyBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: As Con noted several times, Pro never affirmed the resolution and only made bare assertions or irrelevant arguments, so argument points for Con. Conduct to Con for Pro's multiple round forfeits. Sources to Con because they marginally helped the winning argument, plus there were absolutely no sources from Pro.