Pase66
Frogs4lyfe

Sherlock Holmes (Pro) is a "better" detective than Batman (Con)

Pase66

Pro

"Sherlock Holmes is a better detective than Batman"

Definitions
Sherlock Holmes- A fictional character created by author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Batman- A fictional character created by DC comics
Better- Of superior quality or excellence (http://dictionary.reference.com...)
*Please note that I left the definition of "better" open to interpretation by the voters and readers, as they can make a choice of who is better based on the arguments presented*
Detective- a private investigator whose functionis to obtain information and evidence, as
of offenses against the law

Rules

1.) Con agree's to support the notion "Batman is a better detective than Sherlock Holmes".
2.) Arguments can be used from any REAL source of media (comics, TV, movies, etc.), but the source must be cited to show that the information is legitimate and not made up (I ask the voters to also take the quality of the sources into consideration, meaning if the sources are actually real of just made up).
3.) BUT common knowledge about these two characters need not be cited (such as Sherlock Holmes uses drugs or Batman wears a mask).
4.) Con agree's to forfeit the 5th round.
5.) Con agree's to the definitions stated above.

Closing
I would like to thank Con in advance for accepting this debate, and the readers and voters for also participating in the debate. I would also like to ask the voters to put aside their bias when voting for who is "better".

Frogs4lyfe

Con

**** that **** sherlock holmes can go die in a ****** hole. I mean for **** sake he cant even ****** fly or talk to bats. Like what kind of ****** detective cant talk to bats you ****** retard. You can go ****** kill yourself.
Pase66

Pro

I would like to thank Con for accepting this challenge

Opening Statement
I will be working on the assumption that Con's round 1 argument was their opening statement, as they presented an argument of why Batman is supposedly a "better" detective than Sherlock Holmes. Now, I will be presenting my case as to why Sherlock Holmes is a better detective.

1.) Prowess in Deductive Reasoning
It is a well known fact that Sherlock Holmes is a genius when it comes to deductive reasoning. In any media one checks, he is shown to be a master at logically piecing together observations and clues and miraculously coming to a conclusion, which is almost, always true. But what does this have to do with detective work? A detective, as per the definition provided, is "a private investigator whose function is to obtain information and evidence". Holmes's exceptional observation skills allows him to efficiently gather information and evidence, and his deductive reasoning skills allows him to put together the information into conclusions which prove to be, almost always, right. The whole purpose of a detective is to "solve crimes". And I hope to have shown, that by deductive reasoning, Sherlock Holmes does this marvelously.

2.) Fighting
A small point I want to add is that Holmes is a boxer/ fighter, as shown in the story "A Study in Scarlet" by Watson summing him up (http://en.wikipedia.org...). Although not a central skill necessary to detectives, it is an attribute that makes him even a better one.

Rebuttal to Con's Opening Statement
1.) Logical Fallacies
In my reading of Con's opening statement, I found quite the bit of logical fallacies.
a. Ad Hominem
In their opening statement, Con attacks me personally, and not the issue at hand, by calling me "a ****** retard" and telling me to "go ****** kill yourself".
b. False Information
Con asserts that Batman can "talk to bats". For the life of me, I cannot find any source that says Batman can talk to bats. Summon them, yes, but not talk.
c. False Causality
Con asserts to be a good detective, one must fly and talk to bats. Based on the definition of detective, there exists no causal link (that Con made apparent) between flying and talking to bats (which I showed was false information), and being a detective.

I would again like to thank Con for accepting this debate and do look foreword to the rounds to come.

Frogs4lyfe

Con

Frogs4lyfe forfeited this round.
Pase66

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited, I will be making no new arguments.
Frogs4lyfe

Con

Frogs4lyfe forfeited this round.
Pase66

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited the last round, I will not post an argument for this one.
Frogs4lyfe

Con

Frogs4lyfe forfeited this round.
Frogs4lyfe

Con

Frogs4lyfe forfeited this round.
Posted by Pase66 1 year ago
Pase66
Apparently the other guy's account has been closed. Looks like no debate...
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
Don't you love a serious debater versus a guy like@Frogs4lyfe? They tend to be interesting.
Posted by Nivek 1 year ago
Nivek
Hell YAS...... I literally have an unhealthy obsession over Sherlock. Pase is correct. To hell with Geeks. Marvel fans can go to hell.

Sherlock Holmes ftw.
Posted by Pase66 1 year ago
Pase66
@FaustianJustice
Ahhh..... It's meant to be more of a fun debate, not a super serious one...
Posted by FaustianJustice 1 year ago
FaustianJustice
I am not terribly sure this is fair to either side, given that movies and varying strains of comics change representative subject matter.
Posted by thekingof300 1 year ago
thekingof300
Sucks that I cant accept, this would've been extremely interesting and fun to debate